View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
Introduce Yourself 

Post Re: Introduce Yourself
Welcome to the madhouse, Dreadylocks.

I wouldn't normally recommend Stranger as somebody's first Heinlein, mostly because it discouraged my Heinlein reading for a couple of years after I first read it when I was fourteen. It was a bit adult for a naive Texas girl with a squeamish streak when it came to cannibalism. ;) When I re-read it at 30, I loved it, and it's one of my favorites now, although "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" really is my favorite. I'm glad Stranger worked to introduce you to Heinlein.

The web site sounds like a very interesting project. If executed properly, IMHO it could be a wonderful thing. I hope you do it.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 pm
Profile WWW

JackKelly wrote:
Actually, you would not need the permission of the Heinlein Society for your short film idea, but rather the Heinlein Prize Trust http://www.heinleinprize.com/ (I think). I believe Art Dula is the head of the Trust.

Thanks for the info, I've bookmarked that :)

PeterScott wrote:
What else can be done without having to go through a lot of legal hassle?

The short answer is technically nothing. Copyright is copyright. The amount of hassle just depends on how open the rights-holders are to licensing. Luckily there's absolutely no money in short films, so there's a chance it wouldn't cost too much to option.

Quote:
Recalling, say, the Lux Radio Theater at LosCons makes me think that retro or film noir productions of some of the shorts could be appealing. Well, at least to someone with as peculiar sensibilities as myself. "The future the way it used to be," that kind of thing. Classic pulp appeal. No attempt to modernize it. I'd like to see that.

I just finished reading The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag which would be a fantastic neo-retro-noir short. The ending is a bit expository for the medium, but otherwise it would be a very translatable story, I think.

sakeneko wrote:
Welcome to the madhouse, Dreadylocks.

I wouldn't normally recommend Stranger as somebody's first Heinlein, mostly because it discouraged my Heinlein reading for a couple of years after I first read it when I was fourteen. It was a bit adult for a naive Texas girl with a squeamish streak when it came to cannibalism. ;) When I re-read it at 30, I loved it, and it's one of my favorites now, although "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" really is my favorite. I'm glad Stranger worked to introduce you to Heinlein.

I guess I'm lucky I was around 20 when I first read it. But I know what you mean. I find myself wanting to recommend it to my friends because it's quite possibly my favorite book of all time. But then I think, "Are they ever going to speak to me again? I hope they don't mind free love and cannibalism." At least there's no incest in that one... :roll:

Haven't read TMIAHM, yet.

Quote:
If executed properly, IMHO it could be a wonderful thing.

Yes, that is the trick, isn't it? ;)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:16 am

Welcome Dreadylocks! Great to have someone new and interesting on board. Though everyone here is, um, interesting. :lol:

LL reloaded: "All people are interesting. Some are more interesting than others."

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:31 am
Heinlein Nexus

Dreadylocks wrote:
I just finished reading The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag which would be a fantastic neo-retro-noir short. The ending is a bit expository for the medium, but otherwise it would be a very translatable story, I think.

I like your thinking here. I wonder what it would take to get the rights? If they would do them as a percentage of the net...

Dark City had a distinct Hoag feel to it.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:03 pm
Profile WWW

I've always thought "Gulf" would make a great film--it's got secret societies, secret agents, a little ultraviolence, a shower scene, a little homoerotic sexual tension, plenty of heterosexual tension and an explosive finish. I don't know how short it could be and hang together though.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm

PeterScott wrote:
"The future the way it used to be," that kind of thing. Classic pulp appeal. No attempt to modernize it. I'd like to see that.

That would be fun. That is, by the way, why I'm still a 1950s scifi film fan. I even have a copy of "Project Moonbase."

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Right, I never liked any of those attempts to set Shakespeare in contemporary times, for instance.

I totally agree on Gulf, I've had the same thought, although I'm more concerned about how to depict telepathic dialog without it being like Dune where the actors freeze a la Police Story while you hear a voiceover.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 pm
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
I like your thinking here. I wonder what it would take to get the rights? If they would do them as a percentage of the net...

Dark City had a distinct Hoag feel to it.

Percentage of the net? What's 10 percent of nothing? lol

It's funny you mention Dark City, I googled it thinking it was a Heinlein story and, as it turns out, the director behind that film is adapting Hoag. Go figure.

RobertPearson wrote:
I've always thought "Gulf" would make a great film--it's got secret societies, secret agents, a little ultraviolence, a shower scene, a little homoerotic sexual tension, plenty of heterosexual tension and an explosive finish. I don't know how short it could be and hang together though.

Between the wiki summary and your description, that sounds like it's got potential. I'll have to get to the library soon. Thanks :)

PeterScott wrote:
Right, I never liked any of those attempts to set Shakespeare in contemporary times, for instance.

I totally agree on Gulf, I've had the same thought, although I'm more concerned about how to depict telepathic dialog without it being like Dune where the actors freeze a la Police Story while you hear a voiceover.

How much of the dialog is telepathic? It could be tricky but it would also be fun to try and find a creative solution. :)

On a side note, I feel like I'm totally derailing this welcome thread. Maybe we should move this discussion to a new location?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 am

How about Double Star?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Hello Fellow Heinlein Lovers,

I'm a 67 'Year Old Geezer' and an artist; unfortunately, I'm not a Howard, except in spirit. I've been a Sci-Fi fan all my life and RAH has always been right up there in the top 3.

Yes, that's me in the avatar from a few years back, with Orion III Space Plane from 2001:ASO in the background (one of my current projects). I'm studying to be a 3D artist using modo as my favorite software application. If you're interested, you can find my work-in-progress thread http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=50208, 9 pages and I'm barely started. There are lots of closeup images you've probably never seen, and a lot more to come.

Andrew Jackson Libby has always been one of my favorite characters, and lately I wanted to read all of his/her stories, again, and if lucky, for the first time, in the hope that somehow I have missed one somewhere. So, I started searching and turned up this site, registered and started waiting for a response. Reading the posts, I felt like I was revisiting some old friends I hadn't seen in a long time. My intent was to ask the titles of books/stories where Libby stared or was even mentioned, assuming Misfit was first and Number of the Beast was last, though there may be a mention in Grumbles... I couldn't find Methuselah's Children in my collection, though I can picture it in my hand, so I must have loaned it out. It would have been the third copy I've bought, at least. I found a butchered version in pdf format that I downloaded and printed up...what a mess! But at three AM it at least let me read it for the umpteenth time and puzzle out all the typos. I'll get a hardbound copy in the morning.

I just came in from a smoke break where I read from page 400 of Time Enough For Love, starting at, "Galahad sang a ballad..." By the end of the next paragraph, my tears were blurring the words too much to go on...

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next