View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Our Lady's Juggler 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Our Lady's Juggler
holmesiv wrote:
Of course, that is one of the books NOT available at the Laredo Public Llibrary.
The other Clarkes I have read are Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama. Loved Rama when it came out; passed up a chance to re-read it just recently.

Does your library not do interlibrary loans? My home library has a database of everything available across Canada, I can have most titles at my local branch within a week. For other works, I can file an ILL request and they will search the USA as well. Got a book that normally lives at the Denver library the other day. Cost: zip.

Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 pm
Profile WWW

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. Done it before.
Thanks.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Those who have trouble with "Our Lady's Juggler" being Heinlein's favorite story (by another writer) are surely the same people who boggle at the ancedote, alledged to be true, where it is reported that Heinlein reacted to the suggestion that he undergo cryogenic techniques speculated to allow eventual reanimation in the future, by refusing on the grounds of "how do you know that this will not prevent reincarnation?" This is paraphrased, as I have not looked up the story I am reporting. But the sense is that Heinlein did not rule out the possibility of the immortality of the soul or the possible rebirth of the essence of a person into a new life. People who consider Heinlein an athiest, based on the fact that he panned every type of organized religeon in some way or other, miss the point that he seems to have been at least a true "agnostic" (translation = "I don't know"), as he made character Jubal Harshaw, in the sense that he may not have affirmed any particular God, but neither did he deny the existance of a possible Diety. And the culmination of "Our Lady's Juggler" would have played on his sense of fitness, IF Marian Christianity was valid, that the Mother of God Herself, should honor he worshiper ... who juggled.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3