View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
Introduce Yourself 

Post Re: Introduce Yourself
I live in Alaska and work in politics. I have a wife, a six-year-old son and various firearms, archery gear, fishing tackle and other such truck stuffed into every corner of the small condo I currently live in. Most of my books are, unfortunately, in storage but I have read just about every publicly available word by and about RAH and have Mr. Patterson's biography on order. My other main interest is chess and I have played rated tournament chess for the last 30 years. Other favorite authors include Rand, Mencken, Jeff Cooper, Anthony Robbins and Richard Bandler.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Wed May 04, 2011 8:32 am
Heinlein Nexus

RobertPearson wrote:
Other favorite authors include Rand, Mencken, Jeff Cooper, Anthony Robbins and Richard Bandler.

Have you read John Grinder? Bandler was always the dark side of the force, to me.

Fri May 06, 2011 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

In what little NLP training I've had, the pair was always affectionately referred to as "Bumper & Grinder."

Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Nexus

I took a certification course from Grinder. I don't know of anyone else I've met that I would ascribe a higher rating of "integrity" to.

Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 am
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
Have you read John Grinder? Bandler was always the dark side of the force, to me.

I was referring to Bandler's book Get the Life You Want, which I have been working in for some months.

I was wondering what you might mean by the "dark side" so I just did a little Binging and learned more about Bandler. Cocaine and a murder charge, hmmm. I had read a few of their earlier books from the 70s and 80s and saw Bandler's recent one in a bookstore last year.

While this doesn't necessarily invalidate Bandler's book it makes me more interested in someone with a higher rating of "integrity."

Thank you.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 am
Centennial Organizer

My first Heinlein books were Puppet Masters (a Signet paperback costing .35) and Double Star (a Book Club hardback that belonged to my father). I was a juvenile (about 10) though the books were not. I did not find the juveniles until I was student teaching in a junior high. I borrowed all of them in a single week, and my roommate and I read all 10 in about three days.

I came to the forum via the Heinlein Centennial. I was the Kansas City person on the ground, and got to know Peter, Jim, Bill, Tim and Keith through all those phone calls, twice a week for a year at least. Good times -- we made it work, and sometimes I think it still surprises us.

Fourth anniversary coming up, guys! Hope you are all going strong and doing well.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:08 pm

[quote=I borrowed all of them in a single week, and my roommate and I read all 10 in about three days.[/quote]

Gawd, you're worse than I am!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello to my fellow Heinlein fans! Thought I'd introduce myself since I'm brand new here. :)

I'm relatively new to Heinlein's work, at least compared to the folks posting on here. I read my first Heinlein about 5 years ago when my boyfriend introduced me to his work. It was Stranger in a Strange Land that popped my Heinlein cherry and I've never looked back. Moving on to Time Enough for Love and then The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, To Sail Beyond the Sunset and The Number of the Beast. These later works are probably my favorites still and I re-read them pretty often. Usually it starts with me picking up TEfL and turns into the whole cycle again.

Very recently I've been getting into his short stories. Love 'em!

There's more to me than my reading habits, though. I'm also an indie filmmaker and 'daylight' as a massage therapist. I've been thinking a lot recently that maybe turning some of RAH's short stories into short films would be a great way for more folks to discover his work(with the approval of The Society, of course). I'd love to get opinions from real fans on what they'd think about that and if there's something they(you) would want from a project like that.

One of my ideas is an interactive media website that would basically be the web 2.0 version of Time Enough for Love. The idea being that the Howard Foundation has a website and has somehow actually recorded on film the events which LL describes in his memoirs. Like an actual interactive archive set in the fictional 'Leslie LeCroix' timeline. Any filmmaker who is a fan of his work (and there are many, from my experience) could apply and submit a short film, for example the part of his life that takes place on Blessed, or the one with the mirror twins.

I guess that's enough ranting and raving for one post. I'd love your thoughts on my ideas. And thanks for welcoming me into your community! I'm looking forward to nerding out with you guys :D

All the best,
Sammi

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:30 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Sammi,

You had me at "It was Stranger in a Strange Land that popped my Heinlein cherry." :D

Actually, you would not need the permission of the Heinlein Society for your short film idea, but rather the Heinlein Prize Trust http://www.heinleinprize.com/ (I think). I believe Art Dula is the head of the Trust.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Welcome! Very interesting post.

I am thinking of the live theater productions of some of Heinlein's stories (a couple were at the Centennial), and wondering whether any licensing was required for those. Where's the dividing line? What else can be done without having to go through a lot of legal hassle?

Recalling, say, the Lux Radio Theater at LosCons makes me think that retro or film noir productions of some of the shorts could be appealing. Well, at least to someone with as peculiar sensibilities as myself. "The future the way it used to be," that kind of thing. Classic pulp appeal. No attempt to modernize it. I'd like to see that.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next