View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Introduce Yourself 

Post Introduce Yourself
Although, I am familiar with a lot of the members of the Forum, there are some of you whom I do not know, and I know that there are some of you who do not anything about the rest of us. So, I thought that I would take this opportunity to have people post anything about themselves that they would care to.

As a way of starting off, there is a page about me on the Society's website. http://heinleinsociety.org/rahandme/wright.html

So, if you are a newbie or an old-time fan, please don't hesitate to chime in and help the rest of us get acquainted.

= Managing the Discourse of the Heinlein Community =

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:17 am

Post Re: Introduce Yourself
Alright, I'll jump in. I'm Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson. I've been an SF reader since I was eight and the elementary school librarian introduced me to Andre Norton. I've been a Heinlein fan since I was ten or eleven and happened on some Heinlein juvenalia. (I don't remember which was first, but "Farmer in the Sky" and "Podkayne of Mars" played significant parts in it.) In my late 20s I discovered SF fandom, went to my first con, and found my way to other things, including (finally!) this forum. :-) My slightly outdated home page is at http://www.devsite.org if anybody is curious. New blog site goes live soon, I'll announce it here when it does.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Although my logon here says "JusTin" in honor of Justin Foote, online I have generally gone by "JT". I've been a fan of RAH since reading "Farmer in the Sky" from my local library--I scanned the shelves looking for any books with the little pink/purple "Atom symbol" meaning SF. I really started connecting with his work when I saw the unabridged Stranger in a Strange Land, and logged onto Prodigy to find some people to discuss it. There was this small group called the Heinlein Forum that caused me to burn many hours on the computer and gave me a way to discuss the rest of his work.

Some years later, here we are! Been happy to help out with the Heinlein Society a little bit with a few blood drives and panel participations (and my dues).

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Like so many others and as a frequent user of the public library, I was captivated by Heinlein's writings as a youth (perhaps 12 or so- hey i was a late bloomer )- sadly I don't truly recall which of his juveniles were my first read - but my last RAH read was "Glory Road" for the umpteenth time- some call this novel RAH's only real stab at writing fantasy- I call it just a good old fashioned read (among the many other good reads RAH penned)- a rollicking adventure- I've mentioned on numerous occasions, envisioning Rufo, Scar's wise-cracking side kick, being played by Danny Devito :) an amusing vision there

I discovered the old Nitro Forum earlier this millenia and after a couple permutations of said forum ....here I am ! While not a RAH academic, I enjoy the discourse here and the revelations concerning RAH and his writings- each member contributes something very unique to the verbal stew- yes Virginia (pun intended) variety is the spice of life ! My thanks to Bill for his comprehensive bio of RAH and the wealth of info he provided within it-his insights have helped helped explain RAH the man and the basis for his well voiced philosophies - I believe the life lessons RAH presented are (along with the excellent story telling) the reason I return to read RAH over and over again-it resonates and rings true to me

The temptation is to expound on and on here (did I mention RAH the comedian?).............LOL will save it for another day !

Nick

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:23 am

I was born long ago and far away in another universe. At least it is compared to the US today. It was 1932 in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. My father subscribed to the Saturday Evening Post and it was there I read The Green Hills of Earth. My high school library had Rocket Ship Galileo and led me to ASF and the SF world. I spent 5 years in the Air Force as a pilot and got a job with McDonnell Aircraft writing Pilot’s Handbooks. While at McDonnell, I was loaned to Project Mercury to write the Astronaut’s Handbook for the Mercury capsule so my interest in flying and space travel finally paid off.

In 1952, I gave a talk about space flight and space stations in a public speaking class at Va. Tech. My professor said that it was a very interesting speech but we would never see it in out lifetime. In 1961, I was back at Tech and looked up the professor and reminded him of his comment about my speech. He just laughed and said that’s what he would have said in 1952.

In 1962, I took a job as test project engineer at Arnold Air Force Base conducting wind tunnel tests. I ran tests of the Saturn V, the Gemini ejection seat and the Space shuttle launch configuration. As a pilot and engineer, I always enjoyed the technical background of Heinlein’s stories up to the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. His later books were much less interesting.

Chuck

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm
Centennial Attendee

If my math is correct I was on the old Heinlein Forum at least as far back as 1991 because I remember Bob was 9 and used to post occasionally and he is 28 now....Started on RAH as a kid, oddly I cannot remember my first RAH but I do remember my first SF was Ursula Le Guin. Was a musician, then a teacher, wrote a little bit, then for the last 12 years ran a business treating kids with autism until last June and am now retired and trying to get rid of a house in California so we can move to the house we have in Connecticut. Married to a Heinlein scholar and between us we have 6 kids. The eldest two have read quite a bit of RAH, and the youngest boy has read about 4 - he has his dad's copy of Starship Troopers plopped on the bed as I type. All but the last 2 (twins) are grown and gone now. Maureen (youngest girl) started Poddy recently but I do not know if she finished it - she reads so voraciously it is entirely possible - she hides books in the bed and environs and always seems to be reading about 3 or 4 of them at a time.

Audrey

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 pm
NitroForum Oldster

I first became a Heinlein reader when I discovered Black Pits of Luna in a children's SF anthology at age 9, in 1965. He's never really been very far from my thoughts since then. I believe, without irony, that his books saved my life when I was a teenager. I'm now almost 55 years old. Hard to believe.

I've participated in online Heinlein discussion groups since the early 90s. I guess you could say I've been a Jim Gifford fan since he started his first Heinlein website. I'm grateful to Jim for all he's done to give RAH admirers a place to congregate and share our thoughts, and for his groundbreaking work to help establish legitimate Heinlein scholarship, including his Hugo-nominated RAH: ARC and for giving Heinlein scholars the opportunity to publish their works. I'm especially grateful that Jim, with the help of Peter Scott and others, pulled off the miracle that was the Heinlein Centennial.

I'm grateful also to Bill Patterson for founding the Heinlein Society, the Heinlein Journal, his work as the official Heinlein Scholar, and his tireless, endless, and at times thankless work leading to the landmark biographies.

I'm also grateful to Dr. Robert James for his contributions to Heinlein studies, including but not limited to his discoveries of the manuscript for For Us, the Living, and many biographical details regarding Heinlein's first two wives.

I grew up in Texas, and have lived in the Washington, DC area for the past 23 years. I've been happily married to Cynthia for 32 years, and have 3 great kids: Sheena, 28 (soon expecting our first grandchild!), Maggie, 23, and Thomas (who attended the Heinlein Centennial with me), 22. A CPA and CFO, I've worked for NASA contractors for over 20 years, an experience that has been both exhilarating and disillusioning. ;) Like Heinlein, I truly believe that mankind's destiny is in the stars.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

In 1957 at age 8, Mrs. Prickett, the librarian at George Washington Elementary in Tulsa, OK, having failed to engage me with Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo or Guadalcanal Diary, handed me a copy of Have Space Suit, Will Travel. I was hooked from the first page, and thereafter read and purchased at least one copy of every Heinlein I could get my hands on. I was an early subscriber to the Virginia Edition. Largely due to Heinlein's influence, I was fascinated by the space program, and took all the Space Science courses I could at Rice University in Houston (there was no undergraduate major in it). I joined the fencing team at Rice because of Glory Road. I would love to have made a career of astrophysics, were it not for the fact that partial differential equations utterly defeated me.

I would love to have flown for the military, but I was too tall, so I took my chances with the Vietnam draft lottery and didn't have to go. I became a computer software guy, currently living in Silicon Valley, and contented myself with peripheral associations with NASA. I was personally acquainted with Shuttle astronaut George "Pinky" Nelson (his wife and I had a mutual friend), and one of my flight instructors for my commercial, instrument, and multi-engine pilot ratings was the younger son of Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom, Scott.

My favorite Heinlein is Time Enough For Love. I never met the man, but I've driven by the Bonny Doon house several times and lucked into an open house tour of the home in Santa Cruz they lived in while they built Bonny Doon, courtesy of Bill Patterson. Bill also allowed me a day of reverential perusal of the special collection at UC Santa Cruz library, before it was all spirited away. The Centennial is the only scifi con I've ever been to. I loved it. Thanks again to everyone involved. And thanks for this forum. I love the opportunity to keep Heinlein alive in my life on a daily basis.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 am
Profile YIM WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Could we perhaps convince the site royalty - Robert J., Bill P. Jim (yeah, I know, fat chance), and Peter - to post something about yourselves that we don't already know?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Don't already know? *Scratches head*

I have three citizenships: British, American, Canadian, the latter two being earned the hard way. (Memo to self: Renew the British one before next visit.) Not moving to North America until 1983, the extent of my interaction with Heinlein is a letter he wrote in reply to mine (not a form letter with check marks, but a typed one - I have since found the content to be similar to some others he sent). My interest in Heinlein is mostly direct interest in the texts; I tend not to get off on the secondary associations or be a fan of deconstruction.

The Centennial was the best science fiction convention I've ever been to. I wish it could be repeated but lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. I've got enough hubris to think that it ought to be a model for a new hybrid type of convention but enough pessimism to believe that will never happen.

I've been a software engineer for NASA for many years. Making the move to independent contractor was good for my outlook and also enabled me to get some (technical) books and other media published for an impecunious royalty rate. I've always wanted to write fiction but so far all attempts at getting published have failed; it hasn't been a high priority. I'm now a personal and business coach (http://www.kenshocoaching.com/), a profession I plan to make a larger proportion of my working time. Right now a one year-old is taking a large proportion of all of my time.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next