View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Searching the Forum 
NitroForum Oldster

Post Searching the Forum
I wanted to look up mentions of "Let There Be Light". I put in the loose words
let there be light
and received the message
Quote:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: light let there be.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
So I tried the string
"Let There Be Light"
and received the same message.

Is this Unsearchable Words List editable? Is there another way?

Experimenting, I tried another title at random:
stranger
returns the same message.
However, the loose words
stranger in a strange land
returns matches, but with the message
Quote:
Search term used: stranger in a strange land ignored: stranger in a
as does
"Stranger in a Strange Land".
So you can find this novel by searching with
strange and/or land
but not with its common nickname
stranger.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:28 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Searching the Forum
RobertWFranson wrote:
Is this Unsearchable Words List editable? Is there another way?

Interesting Question. I don't know the answer, but I'll see what I can find.

= Managing the Discourse of the Heinlein Community =

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:43 am

There is no list of common words. The procedure is done on a percentage basis of how often a word appears in all posts. This can be modified by either changing the percentage or disabling the entire procedure with the result that there are no 'common' words.

I have, for now, disabled the procedure and re-indexed the search feature. The problem with a multi-word phrase such as 'let there be light', is that it will find not only all occurrences of the phrase, but also all single occurrences of each of the individual words. This doesn't appear to be a problem at present as you can easily pick out the posts with the entire phrase.

If these changes present any problem, I will have to reconsider and perhaps, re-enable the percentage option with a higher percentage than the previous 5%.

Let me know how it goes.

= Managing the Discourse of the Heinlein Community =

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:54 am
NitroForum Oldster

Thanks, that surely helps in many cases. Unfortunately, in the case at hand, after another half-dozen searches of different kinds, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. (Unless I found it in some long post and didn't recognize it.)

I wanted to email a friend with the info that Bill Patterson had restored "Let There Be Light" to the Future History as presented in the Virginia Edition; which perhaps was discussed on this Forum. I retained a link but not a quoted text. An email of mine from a couple of years ago includes this link:
http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/NewNitroForum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=149
which is invalid after the Forum's move to the Heinlein Society.

Any search engine without phrase searching is primitive. And there is another problem with a generated list of 'common' words:
ForumAdmin wrote:
There is no list of common words. The procedure is done on a percentage basis of how often a word appears in all posts.
Namely, in a Forum devoted to discussing Heinlein and his works, sooner or later all of Heinlein's titles will turn up on the search-banned word-list.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 am
Profile WWW

RobertWFranson wrote:
Namely, in a Forum devoted to discussing Heinlein and his works, sooner or later all of Heinlein's titles will turn up on the search-banned word-list.

Yes, that is part of the reason why I disabled the 'common words' option. I wish also that there was a phrase search available. It probably can be done, but it is far above my skill level at this point.

David Wright Sr.
Forum Administrator

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Searching is probably best done with a site-limited Google search (something that appends "site:heinleinsociety.org"; not sure how to also limit it to pages under /thsnexus), then you get every piece of syntax they make available. It's going to beat the pants off any local search engine.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Setting it up with http://www.heinleinsociety.org/thsnexus/ seems to work fine, and I notice the GoogleBot dropping by at very regular intervals.

I am not sure where to put the link, though. Perhaps in a Global post that's at the head of every individual forum? Let me experiment.

Addendum 1: It does not appear to be free any longer. Not sure what the pricing is, as I have to log in with my own Goog account to proceed. David, you might want to investigate. - FURTHER - It's free if you allow Google ads. You and Mike might want to look into something that benefits THS, perhaps.

Here is the code. It works perfectly for searching the forums, but I don't know where to put it functionally, as posts can't contain working HTML.

Code:
<div id="cse" style="width: 100%;">Loading</div>
<script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
  google.load('search', '1', {language : 'en', style : google.loader.themes.MINIMALIST});
  google.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
    var customSearchControl = new google.search.CustomSearchControl('011125575956587505378:m-abc3gpbqa');
    customSearchControl.setResultSetSize(google.search.Search.FILTERED_CSE_RESULTSET);
    customSearchControl.draw('cse');
  }, true);
</script>

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:07 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Good idea, although trying that search from within Google doesn't seem to yield what I'm looking for. Google does not necessarily index all pages of a website; and it is possible that the key words I am searching for do not occur on the same page, although if my search is not entirely quixotic they should at least be in the same thread.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Here is a test version of the code, hosted from the old Nexus site:

http://www.heinleinnexus.org/searchtest.html

It found your search terms easily, RWF.

Now, if anyone knows how to make that open in a separate tab/window from links in the posts...

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:26 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Thanks, Jim, should be quite useful; but it still doesn't lead me to the original post. Do you happen to retain a working archived version of the Forum under Nitrosyncretic or on a hard drive that can point to the link above and tell us what it is, and where?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next