View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Jimmy Webb's "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" 

Post Re: Jimmy Webb's "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"
RobertWFranson wrote:
audrey wrote:
I actually SAW Grace Slick at the Filmore once.
Neat! A powerful presence, I'm sure.

I saw her some dozens of times onstage with the Airplane and even with the Starship. She was such a powerful presence that people, including various women who attended with me, could not keep their eyes off of her, even when someone else was singing.

Her eyes, oh god, her eyes.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:09 am

audrey wrote:
I actually SAW Grace Slick at the Filmore once. She showed up unexpectedly late during a show by a band I cannot remember at all. I remember she was very good but unfortunately that is about all I remember about that concert....

It was a VERY long time ago.

Not to mention the. . .err. . .second hand "smoke".

Darn it, you have young kids again. . .another 15 years of hiding all the good stories!

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

The kids do not know about this forum - but even the older kids were not born yet when that concert happened- and Bob is 27 now. Btw he works as a photographer for a computer company in Silicon Valley and lives in Berkeley - and I (and some of you) can remember him as a 9 year old on Prodigy - now THAT makes me feel old!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:09 pm
Centennial Attendee

audrey wrote:
The kids do not know about this forum - but even the older kids were not born yet when that concert happened- and Bob is 27 now. Btw he works as a photographer for a computer company in Silicon Valley and lives in Berkeley - and I (and some of you) can remember him as a 9 year old on Prodigy - now THAT makes me feel old!

Oh my. Well, the positive to take out of that is that we've been friendly that long. ;)

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Old thread, new discovery: the song "Friends," written and sung by Andy Summers for The Police... is based on Stranger. It even uses "grok."

That is all.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:02 pm
Heinlein Nexus

He's... ALIVE!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile WWW

DavidWrightSr wrote:
Watched a performance on our local pbs station this evening and saw Celtic Woman sing this song. Copyright by Jimmy Webb appears to be in the 70s'. Does anyone know if there is a Heinlein connection other than the title? I haven't looked at the lyrics yet.

I heard or read of an interview with Webb in which he said he liked the book and wanted to the use title in a lyric.
I know of the song because Linda Rondstadt had it on one of her albums in the 90s. Very average song, if you ask me.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm

WillinNewHaven wrote:
BillPatterson wrote:
PeterScott wrote:
Heinlein sometimes slightly modified titles of existing, famous works, e.g., "Have Gun, Will Travel" -> "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" (and only one year later). Is there any evidence that TMIAHM was based on a prior title?

Like SIASL, TMIAHM was an editor's title. It was "The Brass Cannon" in Heinlein's first submission ms.

I vaguely recall seeing some correspondence about permission sought from him [RAH] to use the title. Permission was also sought by Paul Kantner for Jefferson Starship, I believe, and they had a brief correspondence in which Heinlein enthused about Grace Slick -- as many have done and do yet. No, come to think of it, it was still Jefferson Airplane at the time -- I think the change of name was done after Blows Against the Empire.

Kantner might have done something interesting with that title. So Heinlein thought highly of Grace. More evidence for his brilliance. She is sadly underrated.

Grace Slick is an unrepentent alcoholic, and sees no reason to change her life. When I heard her say that in her own words, I gave up on her for life. Hope she drowns in it. She almost died from a DWI wreck.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 pm
PITA Bred

holmesiv wrote:
Grace Slick is an unrepentent alcoholic, and sees no reason to change her life. When I heard her say that in her own words, I gave up on her for life. Hope she drowns in it. She almost died from a DWI wreck.

Assuming this is true, and other than from the perspective of putting others in danger through driving loaded... what's the problem? If someone chooses to be a drunk, it's their choice. I think you're carrying the (appropriate) demonizing of driving drunk to some level of moral judgment about drinking. Who are you really, William Hogarth? :)

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 pm

JamesGifford wrote:
holmesiv wrote:

Assuming this is true, and other than from the perspective of putting others in danger through driving loaded... what's the problem? If someone chooses to be a drunk, it's their choice. I think you're carrying the (appropriate) demonizing of driving drunk to some level of moral judgment about drinking. Who are you really, William Hogarth? :)

I don't like drunks, I don't like drunk drivers (though I have at times been both). Go ahead and admire her, if that's your bent. No skin off my nose. But I will not admire someone like that. She's got a disease and laughs at it; no hero to me.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2