View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Jimmy Webb's "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" 

Post Jimmy Webb's "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"
Watched a performance on our local pbs station this evening and saw Celtic Woman sing this song. Copyright by Jimmy Webb appears to be in the 70s'. Does anyone know if there is a Heinlein connection other than the title? I haven't looked at the lyrics yet.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Post Re: Jimmy Webb's "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"
Looks like zilch connection in the lyrics. I think Webb might have just liked the phrase.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:37 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Heinlein sometimes slightly modified titles of existing, famous works, e.g., "Have Gun, Will Travel" -> "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" (and only one year later). Is there any evidence that TMIAHM was based on a prior title?

Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

PeterScott wrote:
Heinlein sometimes slightly modified titles of existing, famous works, e.g., "Have Gun, Will Travel" -> "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" (and only one year later). Is there any evidence that TMIAHM was based on a prior title?

Like SIASL, TMIAHM was an editor's title. It was "The Brass Cannon" in Heinlein's first submission ms.

I vaguely recall seeing some correspondence about permission sought from him [RAH] to use the title. Permission was also sought by Paul Kantner for Jefferson Starship, I believe, and they had a brief correspondence in which Heinlein enthused about Grace Slick -- as many have done and do yet. No, come to think of it, it was still Jefferson Airplane at the time -- I think the change of name was done after Blows Against the Empire.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 pm
Heinlein Biographer

PeterScott wrote:

And, parenthetically, I don't think HSSWT was based on Have Gun. There was a famous menswear series of ads in the 30's "Have Tux, Will Travel," and a Bob Hope autobiography with a similar name. They didn't get any real TV reception in Colorado Springs, so they weren't very up with TV -- but did apparently see enough movies to catch the edges of the zombie craze in the late 50's.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:03 pm

BillPatterson wrote:
PeterScott wrote:

Like SIASL, TMIAHM was an editor's title. It was "The Brass Cannon" in Heinlein's first submission ms.

I vaguely recall seeing some correspondence about permission sought from him [RAH] to use the title. Permission was also sought by Paul Kantner for Jefferson Starship, I believe, and they had a brief correspondence in which Heinlein enthused about Grace Slick -- as many have done and do yet. No, come to think of it, it was still Jefferson Airplane at the time -- I think the change of name was done after Blows Against the Empire.

Kantner might have done something interesting with that title. So Heinlein thought highly of Grace. More evidence for his brilliance. She is sadly underrated.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:57 am
NitroForum Oldster

In my alternate world, I think I'd have Grace Slick writing lyrics and her own music for "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", and singing a knock-out performance of it with The Great Society at the Fillmore. ... I'd also like a ticket and a time machine, please.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

RobertWFranson wrote:
In my alternate world, I think I'd have Grace Slick writing lyrics and her own music for "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", and singing a knock-out performance of it with The Great Society at the Fillmore. ... I'd also like a ticket and a time machine, please.

I'd sign up for that! I saw a TV interview in the late 1990s with Grace and was blown away by her intelligence, command of the language, and heart. The lights were on and everyone was home inside that head of hers. I couldn't believe how that could be true after all the drugs that must have coursed through all those neurons.

I had a similar reaction to the outrageous performer who calls himself Marilyn Manson, when I saw an interview with him. He is gentle, articulate, intelligent, and very caring for the youth of our culture. His stage persona would never lead me to guess those things were true.

"You can't judge a book by its cover... unless you read the inside flap. That usually gives a really good summary."

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

I actually SAW Grace Slick at the Filmore once. She showed up unexpectedly late during a show by a band I cannot remember at all. I remember she was very good but unfortunately that is about all I remember about that concert....

It was a VERY long time ago.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:02 pm
NitroForum Oldster

audrey wrote:
I actually SAW Grace Slick at the Filmore once.
Neat! A powerful presence, I'm sure.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next