View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
rare Heinlein books and global prices 
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: rare Heinlein books and global prices
georule wrote:
I have exactly one autographed RAH --the trade paper of NOTB. Some people don't like that book, but I am fond of it on several accounts.

It's actually a somewhat famous story, as I bought it from LOCUS. Charlie Brown liked to tell the story of how RAH offered to sign a whole bunch of those for him to support LOCUS. And in the archives there are some pictures of RAH visiting LOCUS in Oakland for one of their periodic parties (probably a fold/staple/stuff party).

We had a second one (CAT), but in a moment of financial weakness some years ago sold it at a handsome profit. I still regret that, but it seemed needful at the time, and I suspect the Old Man would actually appreciate that he contributed to the family budget at such a juncture, and that I was willing to pull the trigger on that basis.

I'm sitting on the original first six volumes of The Virginia Edition. Well, I'm not the only one. Mine are different, tho. Mine have identifying markings from the Butler Public Library (Robert's hometown library that he and Ginny have endowed in multiple ways. . .) as having been part of their collection. One of these days I'll likely contribute them to a Worthy Cause for auction.

I have three autographed Heinlein novels that I purchased from Charlie Brown about 10-12 years ago. There are pictures of them somewhere on this site. What I like about them is that they are also each stamped on the inside front cover with Heinlein's personal Bonny Doon home library stamp.

Hey, at 4 grand a pop, I'd sell the lot right now!! :D

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:03 am
Profile WWW

why would sombody buy used books now when you can dowenlaod it from bitronet ? on the e ink or tablet pcs?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:32 am
PITA Bred

frankchamler wrote:
why would sombody buy used books now when you can dowenlaod it from bitronet ? on the e ink or tablet pcs?

Because a used book is often cheaper than even a Kindle download - and the free download sites are copyright violators. There's also nothing that replaces a book, not really, even these days.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 am
Heinlein Biographer

JamesGifford wrote:
frankchamler wrote:

Because a used book is often cheaper than even a Kindle download - and the free download sites are copyright violators. There's also nothing that replaces a book, not really, even these days.

Not "also" -- that's the whole of it.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 pm

I love this thread, and I love collecting RAH. I have two books signed by RAH:

Entre Planetas (Between Planets) a paperback edition in Portuguese, probably signed when he was cruising around South America on tramp steamers. The year
is right.

Il Numero della Bestia (The Number of the Beast) in Italian. This was purchased from a friend of RAH's, and came with documentation.
It may have been his agent; I don't recall.

And best, a warmly inscribed 3x5 card, that RAH sent to me when I was 12, in response to a fan letter that I sent him.

I have an original Dell 10 cent book of Universe, which I particularly like.

I have half a dozen first editions, and I also branched out into collecting "first appearance" of RAH works, which were often in the form
of serialized magazine articles. I also have multiple copies of some early paperback editions. Love the art work. Some day, I'd like to
add some original cover art, but I suspect the cost would be prohibitive.

I've also collected half a dozen copies of his works in Italian, Spanish, German and other languages, picked up while I traveled.
I don't know why. I'm seeking counseling for this habit.

I have been thinking of working on a website that will track the values of first editions, and of signed books. Maybe this will push me into doing
that.

Would anyone buy a poster of an early paperback? I wonder why they've never been reprinted.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:56 am
NitroForum Oldster

I lucked out this weekend, I was in Half-Price books and found a Book Club
editon of Farham's Freehold for $8.00. This was one of 2 Heinlein books
I didn't have in hardback. Now if I could find a cheap hardback of Sixth Column.
LOL, I know don't hold my breath. :lol:

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 am
Heinlein Nexus

Heh. Reminds me of the time that a spiffy bookstore had a special event - some author signing I believe - and I went along for the heck of it, and walked out with just a couple of Heinlein paperbacks. The sales dude made some snide comment about priorities that I didn't care about.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

One thing you can tell for sure: He never read Heinlein, or he wouldn't be saying that.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Bilboleslie wrote:
One thing you can tell for sure: He never read Heinlein, or he wouldn't be saying that.

That, or quite possibly he had and wasn't somebody that Heinlein would appeal to or even get through to. A reader's reaction to Heinlein says more about that reader than it does about Heinlein. He's a known quantity, and at this point there really isn't much left to prove about the value of his work.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:12 am
Profile WWW

Well said.

I was obviously speaking from the point of view of a fan. I think someday Hollywood will take note, and then the value of our first editions will go up.
I picture Citizen of the Galaxy as a four part movie series... Thorby as a beggar, as a free trader, as a guardsman, and then as the Rudbek of Rudbek. Citizen may be my favorite work, even though it is classed as a juvenile work.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next