View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio 
Post Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio
I'm not sure if this is the place to do it, but I'd like to point out that in the photo section the other engineer with whom RAH is pictured at the NAES c.1943 is Henry Sang, Heinlein's boss and my dad. I'd love it if future editions could credit him since he is also mentioned several times in the book. (I also have a copy of that photograph.)

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:40 pm
Thanks Bill, I'll look and see if I have photos of that era ... I think there were some taken either by Bob (as my parents knew him) or Leslyn at their house. BTW I am really enjoying the book which I bought today ... it's great to be able to put stories I heard as a child into perspective (I came MUCH later) and it's a revelation to know that my father's letters to RAH are over at UCSC in their archives, I assume. (It will be interesting to hear my mother's opinion of the book, as she is still very much alive at 90 ... and I can ask her about photos.)

If it's okay I'll friend you on FB (since I check that often) and you can keep me updated as to whether you have any use for photos ... my last name is Sang. ;)

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:00 am
Heinlein Biographer

Earl Wells left a comment in the author site's blog which asked for more errors to be corrected:

"Bill, congratulations on the publication of volume one. I’m ready for volume two whenever you and Tor are!

Here’s a correction — minor, but Heinlein-related:

On page 497, note 28, you say that Heinlein told the story of the courageous hobo in Swope Park in his 1976 GOH speech; actually, he told that story in his 1961 GOH speech (see Requiem, pp. 178-180 of the hardcover, pp. 237-9 of the paperback).

I think this is interesting because the 1961 speech was relatively close in time to Starship Troopers & Stranger in a Strange Land, which had themes akin to what Heinlein felt was the meaning of the anecdote."

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:23 pm
PITA Bred

I haven't read as far as Earl Wells' comments, but recall that Heinlein also recounted the Swope Park tramp story in the 1973 graduation speech to the midshipmen. You might have been thinking of that date.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:16 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 pm
Centennial Attendee

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Bill Higgins -- a wonderful cornucopia of facts. You know, for the last couple of years (since Denver, at least) I have been sending people your way when Cornog's name comes up, but I didn't realize the depth and detail of the material you've been developing. You know, Cornog really deserves a biography, and you are the man to write it.

In my research, Cornog kind of falls off Heinlein's radar in the 1960's, until Heinlein refers to him as a "former friend." Have you been able to develop any factual information about this rift? It wasn't covered in Cornog's oral history at all. I was hoping the new material Pendle developed from interviews with Cornog's relatives might shed some light on this -- and of course he might have more information on this point, but it didn't bear on his own topic. Haven't had occasion to contact him since he asked me for information several years ago (which he then completely misrepresented in Strange Angel)

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:47 am
Centennial Attendee

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next