View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio 
Centennial Organizer

Post Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio
I suspect we need a note on "the bottle with the three dimples". The bio has Heinlein use this with reference to Leslyn's alcoholism. One of his characters also uses the term "milk the bottle with the three dimples" -- and it has to be Ben, Jubal or Sam (from Puppet Masters).

Is this some specific kind of alcohol, or just any whiskey?

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm
PITA Bred

TinaBlack wrote:
I suspect we need a note on "the bottle with the three dimples". The bio has Heinlein use this with reference to Leslyn's alcoholism. One of his characters also uses the term "milk the bottle with the three dimples" -- and it has to be Ben, Jubal or Sam (from Puppet Masters).

A pinch bottle is a traditional liquor bottle, still used by some whiskey makers. It is most specifically a reference to whiskey in general. I don't know if anyone brand (or even just one type of liquor) was identified by a pinch bottle, but a pinch bottle is a "container for the thing contained" WRT liquor.

If Leslyn had had a hankering for beer, he might have said "hoisting the mug" in the same sense. Or "a fondness for the grape" without being specific about what kind of wine. She was a hardcore abuser, so naturally her ball and chain was hard liquor, traditionally found in... pinch bottles. :)

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:34 pm
Heinlein Biographer

JamesGifford wrote:
A pinch bottle is a traditional liquor bottle, still used by some whiskey makers. It is most specifically a reference to whiskey in general. I don't know if anyone brand (or even just one type of liquor) was identified by a pinch bottle, but a pinch bottle is a "container for the thing contained" WRT liquor.

If Leslyn had had a hankering for beer, he might have said "hoisting the mug" in the same sense. Or "a fondness for the grape" without being specific about what kind of wine. She was a hardcore abuser, so naturally her ball and chain was hard liquor, traditionally found in... pinch bottles. :)

True enough -- though there is the brand of Scotch whiskey called Pinch. But I'm afraid I don't know Colin MacDonald's brand . . .

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:53 pm

TinaBlack wrote:

This is from a UK web-site:
"John Haig & Company Limited
Principle Brands
Dimple 12 year old
Dimple 15 year Old
Also Know as Pinch in The USA Market
Haig Gold Label

"The Haig whisky distilling dynasty can rightfully lay claim to be the oldest Scotch whisky distillers having being active distillers for over 300 years.

"The first recording of Haig distilling was in 1655 when Robert Haig was summoned to appear before the Kirk Session for working his still on the Sabbath.

"He had established a farm at Throsk Stirlingshire in 1627 and this is taken to be the entry date of the Haig’s into distilling. . . .

". . . In 1856 John Haig &Co joined in with six other Lowland distillers to form a trade agreement to protect the individual and collective interests of the members. Eventually this trade agreement led to the formation of the Distillers Company Limited (DCL) in 1877 with John Haig and his son Hugh as directors

"During 1882 John Haig & Co merged with David Smith & Co and became a limited company with Hugh Haig, John Haig’s Son, as chairman.

"John Alicius Haig released the Dimple Deluxe blend in 1888. The distinctive 3 pinch bottle was introduced in 1893 by George Ogilvy Haig.

"DCL acquired the entire ordinary share capital of John Haig & Co Ltd in March of 1919 the take over of the Haig dynasty was completed in 1923 with DCL taking control of Haig & Haig Ltd."

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Phil Sutherland [?] from Australia writes:

On page 57 (Plebe Summer) in item V of "Worldly Wisdom from the Old
Master" there's a reference to "one of Bljdf's letters", and a footnote
indicating that Bljdf is unknown. Has it occurred to you tha Bljdf can
be turned into Alice by substituting the previous letter for each letter
(except the L, which may be a (deliberate?) mistake)? Would
correspondence from Alice make sense in this context?

It certainly does -- and I can't imagine why I didn't twig to that already.

Phil was just given a copy as a gift. Wonder if his was one of the purchases at worldcon or ordered by amazon.com.uk.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 pm
Heinlein Biographer

This one is a little odd -- not the contents, but it came as a message in a Friend Request on FB, and I can't find it in my Facebook information anywhere:

Robert Whitaker Sirignano

Robert says, "You know, Upton Sinclair wasn't a very good looking man and was not exceptionally sober...

& mention of "Gerald McBoing Boing is the late forties is a misplaced point: the cartoons were from the mid fifties.

Enjoyed the bio of RAH, but found some information with regards to date placement in need to tinkering with.".

I think the Mitchell book quotes a back east journalist as saying Sinclair looked like Henry Ford gone slightly fey.

Point taken re Gerald McBoing-Boing cartoons. Would be interested in your date-placement comments. It was a constant problem, because it's really necessary to keep the reader time-place oriented, but it can overwhelm the logical flow of the narrative. I lost the ability to "hear" the prose a couple of years ago (i.e., 2.5 years into the editing process!), so couldn't rely on the writer's tool necessary to correct that as we got toward the final language.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:23 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Follow-up re Gerald McBoing Boing. The original story appeared in 1950, with the first UFA film in 1951, so I'm a little more sanguine about the reference on p. 455. However, the language does need to be re-worked, as it implied he had already done them in 1948.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 am

BillPatterson wrote:
georule wrote:

No bet.

But I might risk one wooden virtual nickel that he could get them to allow a one or two sentence reference saying such a list was prepared and can by downloaded in .pdf form at http://www.whpattersonjr.com.

That's probably the most efficient way to go at it. Of course, the poor man will still have to distill this thread into such a document --but such are the wages of sin. . . (or something like that).

If he includes a release in the document blessing it be spread far and wide, so long as unedited by unconsecrated hands, it should attain a life as long as googles.

Sound idea and I'll suggest it to David Hartwell.

Further suggestion --number the items (yes, I know, your poor ego when triple digits arrive!) and include a change log at the bottom of that doc in reverse order. So:

xx/xx/xxxx --Added items 22 and 23. Edited item 19.
xx/xx/xxxx --Version 1, through item 21.

Not strictly necessary, but helpful for ease of discussion/revision later ("Hey, Bill, I'm not convinced your #20 is still entirely right. . . " or "Thanks, I already got that one in the E&O, see my #15"), and not all that hard to do so long as you start out that way.

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Thanks for the input on format, Geo. It is a work still in progress (I haven't loaded in here some additional comments by Ed Wysocki, because I haven't had time to do the necessary research yet. (That's right, I research error comments the same way I researched the original stuff.)

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:07 pm
PITA Bred

On page 13, Introduction: "...the fictional lunar landing in [MWSTM] was set in 1970..."

1975 on the original handwritten chart; 1978 in the 1941 and 1950 charts; date removed for the 1967 chart but still positioned after the "Strike of '76"; timeline revised (is retconned too phannish?) back to 1964 in TSBTS. I am not aware of any other specific datings.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next