View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forward the Foundation(s) 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Forward the Foundation(s)
PeterScott wrote:
The amount of work it would take to produce anything decent from the vast amount of raw material is... daunting.

I respect Jim's prerogative as an artist to do it right or not at all.

It's both simpler and more complex than that. However, I can safe-safe-safely make three statements (sorry, I was just watching Max...):

1) The material is quite safely digitized and stored.
2) It will be produced into significant archival editions someday.
3) Anyone who had their shoulder to the Centennial wheel is assured of a copy.

There is no promise as to timeline but it will happen.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 pm

TinaBlack wrote:
I hope THS will keep the Forum open to non-members.

I've heard no one suggest otherwise and would be surprised at such a suggestion; and if such a suggestion did appear, I would not give it much hope of finding the necessary support to implement it.

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 am
Profile WWW

An official policy of the board adopted in 2003 was that no part of the THS website including the Forum would be closed to non-members. Having forgotten this, I was severely castigated by David Silver when I suggested a members-only section of the Forum. My intention was to try to build some 'sense of community' between the members which has always be lacking due to the top-down policies which were in place.

With the planned integration of the Nexus Forum into the THS framework, I am not sure that such a proposal would be appropriate, unless such was to merely be a template for other specialized groups to have their own special sections.

David Wright Sr.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

DavidWrightSr wrote:
An official policy of the board adopted in 2003 was that no part of the THS website including the Forum would be closed to non-members.

Which was, IIRC, a heavy-handed reaction to the failed attempt to make almost the entire site members-only. :) (The failure was on both technical and user-friendliness grounds, IIFRC.)

IMVHO, as long as most forums are available to guests and those who choose to register as forum users alone, a THS-member-only forum is not out of place. It should be used only for discussion of matters of interest to enrolled members and never to exclude users or partition the user base.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am
Heinlein Nexus

When you want people to give you money, there needs to be a well defined and understood expectation of what they will receive in return, even if it's just a warm fuzzy feeling of doing good.

It's reasonable that one thing received in return would be a private area of discussion. But what value would that be in the case of discussion about Heinlein? Only if it ensured that the conversation would be unpolluted by trolls; but we already have that on the Nexus. Restricting the population of the discussion would be counterproductive.

A members-only discussion area might make sense not as a return for contribution but as a place to discuss things of no interest to anyone else, in other words, voting on Society referenda. Dubious value given how little internal affairs take place and the recent increased transparency.

A members-only web site area might make sense if it provided content that wasn't available elsewhere. The audio recording from Denvention springs to mind. Unfortunately, that's the only thing that springs to mind, since I doubt the moon landing video could be exposed in that way without licensing problems.

Meaningful members-only benefits probably translate to something physical received in the mail, discounts at various cooperating merchants (e.g., conventions), and the aforementioned warm fuzzy feeling. So pumping up the warm fuzzy feeling would seem to be a prime goal.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

PeterScott wrote:
Meaningful members-only benefits probably translate to something physical received in the mail, discounts at various cooperating merchants (e.g., conventions), and the aforementioned warm fuzzy feeling. So pumping up the warm fuzzy feeling would seem to be a prime goal.
I think a tie with little brass cannons all over it would be a good idea.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:56 am
Profile WWW

JamesGifford wrote:
DavidWrightSr wrote:
An official policy of the board adopted in 2003 was that no part of the THS website including the Forum would be closed to non-members.

Which was, IIRC, a heavy-handed reaction to the failed attempt to make almost the entire site members-only. :) (The failure was on both technical and user-friendliness grounds, IIFRC.)

That policy was pushed to the degree of disallowing PMs, however. Hell, I had to fight to get a hidden forum for mods to have conversations about board admin if necessary, which is relatively common practice if the mod staff gets to more than, say, a couple people.

THS leadership tended to exalt usenet as the useful end of Darwinian development in communications, so that was part of it.

But in addition, I have my own opinions on other factors as well, at least in part.

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

beamjockey wrote:
I think a tie with little brass cannons all over it would be a good idea.

That's cool. I can see a lot of fen going for that. And it's classy enough to be useful in non-fan contexts.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

That assumes there is any place whatsoever in the world for a tie of any pattern, length, width or knot.

Next up: a hangman's noose in tasteful Tuscan earth tones! Iron maidens now in decorator colors! The Rack is Back... now in carbon fiber!

Okay, okay...
1) Yes, I was just watching Max.
2) I haven't owned a tie in 24 years.
3) Both make me a better person.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Note to self: Do not rely on Jim for sartorial advice.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next