View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Heinlein Symposium on Tor.com 
Post Re: Heinlein Symposium on Tor.com
Agreed. Humor puts the onus on the artist; if the audience doesn't get it, it's their fault. Wit puts the onus on the audience; if they don't get it, it's their fault. Wit exercises the intellect and celebrates cleverness.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:33 am
Heinlein Nexus

The above was from me... once again the board decided to change its mind about whether I was logged in between the time it took me to the new post and the time I posted my reply.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

DanHenderson wrote:
Leave it to the British to do comments right.

They learn it at a young age.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
JackKelly wrote:
beamjockey wrote:
The Tor.com blog-like magazine-thing is conducting a symposium about Heinlein to coincide with Tor's release of Bill's book.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/08/robert-a-heinlein-the-torcom-blog-symposium#more...Bill Higgins

Damn you for posting the link to this. I can't stop reading it and I have work to do! ;)

I wish some of these folks would find their way here.

Some of us have found our way here or will - however I'm trying to follow the prudent Internet practice of getting some sense of the culture of the place before shooting off my mouth.

I'm mildly amused that so far "family name of any well known 20th Century science fiction writer does not include Zelazny, McCaffrey,

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:11 am
Heinlein Biographer

Guest wrote:
<snip>I'm mildly amused that so far "family name of any well known 20th Century science fiction writer does not include Zelazny, McCaffrey,

Back in the days when much Heinlein discussion took place on an AOL Forum, I recall a discussion about how surprising it ws that so many Heinleiners also had a pronounced fondness for people like Pangborn and Zenna Henderson (Piper is not so surprising), so there was a surprising collateral; are you making the equally interesting suggestion that there might be a surprising DIS-collateral? Without going back and doing extensive research, I do seem to remember mentions, though lukewarm, of McCaffrey, though I cannot recall Zelazny coming up much at all in Heinlein community discussions.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 am
PITA Bred

Guest wrote:
I'm mildly amused that so far "family name of any well known 20th Century science fiction writer does not include Zelazny, McCaffrey,

In creating a new CAPTCHA feature, I simply picked a sensible question and typed in the first dozen or two likely responses that occurred to me. The new operators are welcome to change it.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 am
NitroForum Oldster

JamesGifford wrote:
Guest wrote:

In creating a new CAPTCHA feature, I simply picked a sensible question and typed in the first dozen or two likely responses that occurred to me. The new operators are welcome to change it.

When I first read this I just scratched my head and said "Wha...?" Then I looked up "CAPTCHA," logged out and tried the forum registration process. Clever. I guess you'll never please everyone, but it's good that you can at least mildly amuse them.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3