View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio 

Post Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio
BillPatterson wrote:
but the various Millay sites and bibliographies list year of publication of _Fatal Interview_ as 1931,

Fatal Interview was to have been released 4 Apr 1931, per an ad in the LA Times on 8 Mar 1931, sec III p 26.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:39 pm
Heinlein Biographer

BillMullins wrote:
p. 105 says Elwood Teague left the Naval Academy in the Spring of 1929.
p. 65 says he left in 1926. (From the Google Books version – haven't been able to check the printed text yet.)

URK. Again, following my sources too closely. At one point in taped interviewVirginia Heinlein said Teague left in 26 and in another it might have been 29 but in any case before graduation (though he did serve as naval aviator in WWII).

The p. 105 cite is consistent to the published version, but it says there he went into the stock market, whereas Teague's 1988 letter to Ginny says he went into banking, which is certainly where he stayed for the rest of his life.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:24 am
Heinlein Biographer

JackKelly wrote:
Jo Walton's post was unfortunate in many ways.

"Unfortunate" Huh. You are so very kind to Jo. Sabotaging a project of her own publisher strikes me as lacking even the degree of common sense one might expect of self-preservation, let alone professional courtesy to a colleague. Actually reading her source was something like salt in a wound.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:30 am
Heinlein Biographer

Jonquil wrote:
Wherever you read this, your source misled you. <snip>
It is categorically impossible that penicillin was on sale in 1929, because (A) nobody besides a few bacteriologists had paid attention to the paper and (B) nobody knew how to produce it. The first commercially-available broad-spectrum antibiotic was Prontosil, an antibiotic published in 1932 and clinically tested between then and 1935.

This is not nitpicking. The sentence is complaining that "medical orthodoxy didn't recognize the possibility of an 'internal antibiotic'", when in fact no antibiotics were available, or would be for ten years. The existence of lab substances has very little to do with the likelihood of a human-administrable drug.

(I am indebted for the citations to a friend.)

Somehow I "edit"ed my response into your post. Here 'tis, separated out:

Thanks for the catch. The source obviously confused the publication with the commercial offering. Incidentally, the language of the contemporaneous medical papers I read was "internal antiseptic." Obviously an analogical usage.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:37 am

BillPatterson wrote:
BillMullins wrote:
p. 105 says Elwood Teague left the Naval Academy in the Spring of 1929.
p. 65 says he left in 1926. (From the Google Books version – haven't been able to check the printed text yet.)

URK. Again, following my sources too closely. At one point in taped interviewVirginia Heinlein said Teague left in 26 and in another it might have been 29 but in any case before graduation (though he did serve as naval aviator in WWII).

The p. 105 cite is consistent to the published version, but it says there he went into the stock market, whereas Teague's 1988 letter to Ginny says he went into banking, which is certainly where he stayed for the rest of his life.

Per Register of the commissioned and warrant officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. January 1, 1929, Teague resigned 9 Aug 1928. (This document is available at GenealogyBank.)

His Obit:
Quote:
Gazette, The (Colorado Springs, CO) - September 8, 2004
Deceased Name: Elwood Andrew Teague
was born on December 14, 1907, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, the son of Orval Edward Teague and Ethel McGeorge Teague. In 1924, at the age of seventeen he enlisted in the U.S.Navy. He graduated in the Class of 1929 and after naval service he settled in Los Angeles and entered the business world.

From 1929 to 1936, he worked at Mortgage Guarantee Company. From 1936 to 1942 he conducted his own business in that field. World War II brought him into service from 1942 to 1945 in the United States Navy, retiring eventually as Commander, USNR. Stationed at the U.S.Naval Air Station at Pensacola, Florida, he flew thousands of hours as a naval pilot. In 1943, he became Commanding Officer of aircraft training squadron VN8D8-C. After the war he returned to Los Angeles and the real estate and savings and loan business, along with general building contracting. His efforts included VP California Federal Savings & Loan, he managed his own general contracting business; was VP & CEO Great Western Financial Corp., Pres & Chairman, United Financial Corp., later CEO of First Nationwide Bank. He retired in 1976 and moved to Rancho Mirage, CA and in 1984 moved to Colorado Springs, Co. with his wife Mary Ann. His affiliations included the Los Angeles Breakfast Club, Los Angeles Country Club, American Legion-Allied Post, 32nd Degree Mason, James A., Garfield Lodge No. 566, Shrine-AI Malaikah Temple, U.S. Navy Foundation, U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association, American Savings and Loan Institute and other Savings and Loan Leagues; United Crusade; State of California Board of Investment, California Dept. of Housing and C o m m u n i t y Development under Governor Ronald Reagan, Citizens Athletic Foundation, National Athletic Health Institute and Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games. He belonged to the Riviera Country Club, the O'Donnell Country Club of Palm Springs and for a short while the Broadmoor Country Club.

He is survived by his wife Mary Ann, several cousins and many friends.

Woodie was a kind and generous man and will be missed by all who knew him. Funeral services will be held on Thursday, September 9, 2004 at 10:00 a.m. at Evergreen Funeral Home, 1830 E. Fountain Blvd. Interment will be at Evergreen Cemetery, 1005 S. Hancock in Colorado Springs.

In lieu of flowers a donation to his favorite charities: The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region and the Springs Rescue Mission will be appreciated.

Mr. "Woodie" TeaguePage: METRO4
Copyright, 2004, The Gazette (Colorado Springs, CO)

As near as I can tell, his widow is still alive -- probably one of only a couple people left who knew RAH during the 1930s.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 am

BillMullins wrote:
As near as I can tell, his [Elwood Teague's] widow is still alive -- probably one of only a couple people left who knew RAH during the 1930s.

Scratch that -- Teague's wife during the 1930s was Melva Teague, who died in 1976. Mary Ann must be a 2nd wife.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:25 am
Heinlein Biographer

BillMullins wrote:
BillMullins wrote:
As near as I can tell, his [Elwood Teague's] widow is still alive -- probably one of only a couple people left who knew RAH during the 1930s.

Scratch that -- Teague's wife during the 1930s was Melva Teague, who died in 1976. Mary Ann must be a 2nd wife.

Oh, well. I didn't make any attempt to contact Teague even though I might have been able to do so; his letter responding to Ginny's request for help with Stover's biography was so vague as to details that I judged it not to support the time and expense necessary to interview him. Much the same is true of Jack Williamson. Fortunately in his case we have a kind of biography written while his memory was in better shape, that does bear somewhat on the Heinlein biography.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:29 am
Heinlein Biographer

BillPatterson wrote:
I'm not entirely sure you will see this, so I'm copying this to my author site's "errors and omissions" thread on the Heinlein Nexus in case discussion eventuates.[/b]

Let me record the relevant information in case this becomes a matter at issue. The last definite date mentioned before the Fatal Interview mention is on p. 586 of the large type edition: March 11 1929 is the date E/E sailed on Rotterdam to France; same page Milford mentioned they returned from France on May, no year; p. 587 August no year E/E travel to Camden, ME to see her mother; p. 587, "Fall" no year Correspondence begins with George Dillon re his possible move to California. No dates are given during this entire sequence.

p. 598 "The Fall" no year; p.601 talks of Christmas without giving year. "Throughough the fall and winter Millay worked on her book of sonnets . . . _Twice Required_."

p. 602. "That December" no year book to be published in March no year (now retitled _Fatal Interview_ after a line of Donne). The sequence then goes "that fall" no year, Christmas no year, Spring 1931 sonnets from the book begin appearing in periodicals.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:35 am

Edna St. Vincent Millay departed Havre, then Southampton on the SS Caronia on 5/11/1929, arrived NY 5/20/1929.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:13 am
NitroForum Oldster

BillPatterson wrote:
JackKelly wrote:
Jo Walton's post was unfortunate in many ways.

"Unfortunate" Huh. You are so very kind to Jo. Sabotaging a project of her own publisher strikes me as lacking even the degree of common sense one might expect of self-preservation, let alone professional courtesy to a colleague. Actually reading her source was something like salt in a wound.

You are right. Sometimes I am too polite. I can only imagine your reaction. Her comments addressed events that were peripheral "context" items and not central to the biography at all. And as you and others pointed out, many of the "errors" she cited were in fact not errors at all (e.g. "Boy King"). The most egregious aspect was the title of her post, which may lead some potential readers to avoid the book. And, of course, she provided a convenient platform for the usual cast of Heinlein haters and blowhards to pile on.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next