View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Heinlein Symposium on Tor.com 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Heinlein Symposium on Tor.com
JackKelly wrote:
I wish some of these folks would find their way here.

Not to hijack or misdirect the thread, but this is what I've been decrying for the last several years. We went from individual BBSes, to BBSes linked by FidoNet, to the general acceptance of Usenet... and now have devolved back to individual site-based forums and blogs that share no connections or user bases. Although it's much easier than the old dial-up days, we still have to trundle from site to site, forum to forum, locus to locus to stay connected to any variety of correspondence communities. Few of us - or the folks on the Tor site - have time to trundle.

We need a replacement for Usenet, a communications forum that is universally available with user selection of the forums, threads and topics they wish to collate in one place and follow. Unfortunately, national security and the Facebook/hey d00d im txtng u generation have killed open, widespread, complete-sentence text communication.

We now return you to your regular thread.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:05 am
NitroForum Oldster

JamesGifford wrote:
...We need a replacement for Usenet, a communications forum that is universally available with user selection of the forums, threads and topics they wish to collate in one place and follow. Unfortunately, national security and the Facebook/hey d00d im txtng u generation have killed open, widespread, complete-sentence text communication.

We now return you to your regular thread.

The problem, which I think is what you are saying, with the current system is that online communities exist today in ghettos, which tend to be nothing more than echo chambers. Readers of Daily Kos, for instance, might occasionally read RedState, but would never consider posting anything there because (horrors) folks there might disagree with them.

Some of the posters on the Tor symposium would probably never consider writing anything here because they consider this site to be exclusively for Heinlein kool-aid sippers. I am surprised with the levels of balance and nuance many of the posters on Tor.com are expressing re Heinlein. On the other hand, there are some whose expressed opinions are less-than-admiring, to be charitable. There are few Heinlein "apologists," just as I feel there are few here. It's a fascinating intercourse, rarely seen online today.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Balkanization can be a good thing. I am profoundly glad that the great unwashed are not polluting this forum, for instance. On the few occasions that I sully myself by reading any of the comments on CNN.com or LATimes.com articles, I always profoundly regret it. If there are any wise, coherent thoughts in there they are buried under an avalanche of fetid puerile hateful invective.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

PeterScott wrote:
Balkanization can be a good thing. I am profoundly glad that the great unwashed are not polluting this forum, for instance. On the few occasions that I sully myself by reading any of the comments on CNN.com or LATimes.com articles, I always profoundly regret it. If there are any wise, coherent thoughts in there they are buried under an avalanche of fetid puerile hateful invective.

Oh! I didn't realize you weren't talking about Tor.com!

We call that a "low flying cheap shot." Pull!

I've been pushing people over to the author site, which in turn will push some people over here, but I think it's going to take some time to ramp up. There is a surprising lack of interest on Jo Walton's incredible "not reliable" post in following up the errors people have spotted, which should take them directly here. It'll be interesting to see what feedback, if any, comes from the CopperRobot podcast.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:03 pm
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:

There does need to be a gate, or a filter screen of some kind - a reliable login/ID system that keeps people from playing anonymous, sock-puppet and spam games works well.

But forcing people to follow a Get Smart-like entry procedure to get to *one* isolated site is self-inhibiting.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:33 pm
Centennial Attendee

PeterScott wrote:
On the few occasions that I sully myself by reading any of the comments on CNN.com or LATimes.com articles, I always profoundly regret it. If there are any wise, coherent thoughts in there they are buried under an avalanche of fetid puerile hateful invective.

Leave it to the British to do comments right.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Nexus

DanHenderson wrote:
Leave it to the British to do comments right.

Wonderful. That should be chiseled on a plinth somewhere.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

PeterScott wrote:
That should be chiseled on a plinth somewhere.

You remind me of an interview I heard with Jonathan Miller, trying to explain to some NPR guy the difference between humor and wit. He told a story of taking a dear friend to the neighborhood he grew up in and showing him the house where he was raised. He recalled that next door was another family whose son grew up to become quite famous; I really wish I could remember who it was. His friend replied, "There should be a plaque on your house. In fact, a plaque on both your houses!"

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

What IS the difference between humor and wit?

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 am
Centennial Attendee

audrey wrote:
What IS the difference between humor and wit?

From here:

Quote:
In his book Paradigms Lost, John Simon points out that humor and wit are nearly polar opposites. Humor is inclusive: it invites everyone to join in on the laugh and feel like one of the crowd. Wit is exclusive: it addresses itself only to those who are in the know, and if the other people in the room feel uncomfortable because they don't get it -- hey, that's a bonus.

Ambrose Bierce seems to emphasize the discomfort:

Quote:
Humor is tolerant, tender … its ridicule caresses. Wit stabs, begs pardon — and turns the weapon in the wound.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next