View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kudos and Congratulations 
Centennial Attendee

Post Kudos and Congratulations
A trifle late to the news, but I'm really excited about this finally happening. And since I didn't see any suitable place to express my heartfelt appreciation to Bill for his years of work on this biography, I decided to unleash my gratitude in an independent thread. I hope many more people hop aboard.

Thanks, Bill. You're a real inspiration to dig deeper and share.

More prettier words after I read the thing (and how the heck do I get it autographed from 7000 miles away? :P).

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:17 am
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: Kudos and Congratulations
UriGonda wrote:
A trifle late to the news, but I'm really excited about this finally happening. And since I didn't see any suitable place to express my heartfelt appreciation to Bill for his years of work on this biography, I decided to unleash my gratitude in an independent thread. I hope many more people hop aboard.

Thanks, Bill. You're a real inspiration to dig deeper and share.

More prettier words after I read the thing (and how the heck do I get it autographed from 7000 miles away? :P).

Thank YOU. I am just so relieved it's nearing outedness that I forgot other people have been waiting too.

I did manage to connect with Joe Haldeman at NASFiC (very few authors here -- it's a very nice little con, with emphasis on "little") to thank him for his back cover blurb, comparing it to Carlos Baker's biography of Hemingway.

This same request for long-distance autographs has come up often enough I've been thinking about it (I think 7000 miles is the furthest yet). I'm thinking about buying a dozen copies or so of the book on the open market so I can mail them, but it's something I could only practicably do by subscription and prepayment. Certainly mailing the book to me and then me mailing them back is prohibitively expensive. I could cut out half the mailing expense that way.

I dunno. The mechanics could be daunting.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:38 am
Heinlein Nexus

Many authors mail autographed labels to stick in a book for this reason.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:06 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Bill, I would enjoy being one of the dozen ! you can hold me to this - thanks, Nick

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:13 am

BillPatterson wrote:

(snip)
Certainly mailing the book to me and then me mailing them back is prohibitively expensive. I could cut out half the mailing expense that way.

I dunno. The mechanics could be daunting.

I'm thinking of looking into that USPS flat-rate mailing. Buying one that can just hold the book, paying for the return and then sending it to you inside of a larger one. Haven't checked it yet, but will do so soon. But, in any case, not until I've read the thing. :ugeek:

David

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 am
Profile WWW

I think the labels idea is outstanding. Would save a ton on mailing costs!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:57 pm
Airgetlam wrote:
I think the labels idea is outstanding. Would save a ton on mailing costs!

Well, you know, Tor has done up these postcards that have the front of the book on one side and some text plus the full panel of Donato's picture of RAH on the reverse. I could sign and send those out -- I bought a plum sharpie for just that purpose. It does bleed through the book paper but does fine for the postcard. You could bind it in rather than paste it in...

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 pm
PITA Bred

I'm not sure how you'd bind something in after, well, binding. You can do what's called tip-in, where a whole page is glued in by a thin strip right next to the binding, but it's not endlessly durable and has to be turned carefully - not usually a problem with pages tipped in right in the front material.

A sticky-back label would be nice and fairly inexpensive, printed with whatever design you like and with space for inscription and signature. You could get 250 for about $50, delivered.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:49 pm
JamesGifford wrote:
I'm not sure how you'd bind something in after, well, binding. You can do what's called tip-in, where a whole page is glued in by a thin strip right next to the binding, but it's not endlessly durable and has to be turned carefully - not usually a problem with pages tipped in right in the front material.

A sticky-back label would be nice and fairly inexpensive, printed with whatever design you like and with space for inscription and signature. You could get 250 for about $50, delivered.

That could work. In fact I keep some 3x4" self-adhesive labels on hand for mailing out the Heinlein Journal

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:51 am
NitroForum Oldster

post office offers flat rate shipping, as was mentioned- they will drop supplies off at your home and do pick ups for free !! also postage can be obtained and paid for online @ usps.com - you can print postage and an address label on your computer !! am a usps employeee (kinda- but that's a whole 'nother story!)

personally, my preference is for an inscribed book not a label pasted into it ! but am realizing the author is entitled to do this as he pleases- hey rank has some privileges right ?

whichever route you choose, I'm onboard !

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next