View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Script: Destination Moon (Opus G.073) (1948) 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: Script: Destination Moon (Opus G.073) (1948)
James Gifford wrote:
The date of these on the original site is January 1, 1950 - I wonder if that's a bogus date (e.g. "some time in 1950") or if they really shot on New Year's Day... which would make sense as filming would likely have been suspended that day.

This is fascinating. Perhaps a check of LIFE magazines in 1950 is in order - even a one-page article might explain things. (Hmm, a glance at all the 1950 covers doesn't show anything obvious.)

No, the date is not particularly unlikely. Pal left the set up for the wrap/Christmas party they gave weeks after the shoot concluded -- attended by everyone in Hollywood who could get an invitation, apparently. It's not surprising no one might have scheduled that sound stage until some time in January so they simply left the sets up, since there was a lot of jurnalistic interest in them. The buzz was sizzling.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:29 pm
PITA Bred

I meant bogus only in the sense that the database required a date but an exact shooting date was not available. I am surprised that the set was left standing so long in these days where teardown begins about five minutes after "That's a wrap!" so that the next remake of a remake can get started.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Bill Patterson wrote:
Bill, you seem to be much more expert at newspaper searches than I am -- something suggested itself to me yesterday, and I've been trying to frame in my mind the correct way to search it: One of those photos look like a distinctively Asian dancer, and there cannot have been many Chinese or Japanese dancers in Hollywood in 1949. It is something that might have been noted in the Trades or even in the major papers. Apparently there was a lot of hot buzz about DM going on during the filming and post production, and they got a lot of visitors. This might have been an impromptu performance by a visiting dance company. Could it be that, say, the Shanghai Ballet was on a cultural exchange visit to Los Angeles in November or December 1949? Ben Babb was the publicity guy for the film, and if he hadn't died in the 1960's, he might have been able to give some guidance.

I checked the LA Times from 11/1949 through 3/1950 for the keyword "ballet", in hopes that something relevant would turn up. Too many "hits" -- the word was used (at least) 290 times. I also checked every mention of the phrase "Destination Moon", but nothing helpful there, either.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:33 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Bill Mullins wrote:
I checked the LA Times from 11/1949 through 3/1950 for the keyword "ballet", in hopes that something relevant would turn up. Too many "hits" -- the word was used (at least) 290 times. I also checked every mention of the phrase "Destination Moon", but nothing helpful there, either.
I think I'm going to have to go to the Beverly Hills Public Library and pull down hardcopy files of the LA Times or the Herald for that four-or-five month period and go through the arts news page by page.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:41 am
Heinlein Nexus

Actually, Bill, what the movie says is "Based on a novel by Robert A. Heinlein" -- just watched the opening creds the other day. The novel goes unmentioned, perhaps for all the reasons you mentioned -- but also because DM is a movie for adults, and RSG is a book for boys.

Robert

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:32 pm
Heinlein Biographer

RobertJames wrote:
Actually, Bill, what the movie says is "Based on a novel by Robert A. Heinlein" -- just watched the opening creds the other day. The novel goes unmentioned, perhaps for all the reasons you mentioned -- but also because DM is a movie for adults, and RSG is a book for boys.

Robert

The screen credits were hard-fought out in February of 1950; Heinlein wanted O'Hanlon's name dumped entirely; Pichel should have had a card for script nstead, but he was happy with his director's card. What was finally accepted was a compromise suggested by the WGAw.

I think Rocket Ship Galileo wasn't mentioned by name as Lou Schor was still trying to market the juvenile to be used as a film property, and having it on a card would have killed any market for it.

The relationship of the DM story to RSG is pretty diffuse: quite a lot of reprocessing has gone into the new story.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Has anyone else here (other than our host) read the "Destination Moon" novella? The differences between it and the film script should be of interest, but (sadly) aren't... I suppose he simply needed a quick-and-easy paycheck at the time, because it's got to be the least inspired, most schematic writing ever published under Heinlein's name - just my opinion, of course.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 am
Heinlein Biographer

JJGarsch wrote:
Has anyone else here (other than our host) read the "Destination Moon" novella? The differences between it and the film script should be of interest, but (sadly) aren't... I suppose he simply needed a quick-and-easy paycheck at the time, because it's got to be the least inspired, most schematic writing ever published under Heinlein's name - just my opinion, of course.

Probably why Argosy rejected it after they had solicited it. Like everybody else, they wanted another Green Hills of Earth.

The novelization is available in two places, both OP. The paperback 3xInfnity has a couple of other interesting novellas packaged with it, and the -- I dunno exactly what to call it, it's not a festschrift, but anyway -- book David Hartwell assembled/edited for Twayne/Gregg Press. The latter is still selling for about $200 so the paperback is your best bet to find it.

And of course it will be in the first Virginia Edition volume of screenplays, which has all the Destination Moon materials.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:59 am
NitroForum Oldster

BillPatterson wrote:
The novelization is available in two places, both OP. The paperback 3xInfnity has a couple of other interesting novellas packaged with it, and the -- I dunno exactly what to call it, it's not a festschrift, but anyway -- book David Hartwell assembled/edited for Twayne/Gregg Press. The latter is still selling for about $200 so the paperback is your best bet to find it.

I believe it was also published in Dr. Kondo's Requiem: New Collected Works by Robert A. Heinlein and Tributes to the Grand Master.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:57 am
Profile WWW

Destination Moon was adapted into a comic book a couple of times.

Fawcett did a one-shot in 1950 (script by Otto Binder, art by Dick Rockwell and Sam Burlokoff), which was reprinted by Charlton in 1956 and again in 1958. DC Comics did a shorter version in Strange Adventures in 1950 (script by Gardner Fox and art by Curt Swan and John Fischetti).

Did Heinlein know about these? Was he involved in them? Did he condone them? Get paid for them? Care?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next