View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Heinlein scale models 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Heinlein scale models
DanHenderson wrote:
JamesGifford wrote:
I am watching posts in another forum as a modeler makes an absolutely perfect 1/8 scale Cobra from the original blueprints.

The car or the helicopter? A Google search turns up both. Have a link you'd be willing to share?

Car, of course. Let me see if I can find a working link...

Scale Cobra on ClubCobra.com.

Thu May 13, 2010 9:59 am
Centennial Attendee

JamesGifford wrote:
Car, of course.

I'm not sure about the "of course" part. This guy's *flying* 1/9 scale AH-1W Super Cobra looks pretty darned good to me, so far at least (he's not finished).

And, of course, there is this 1/3 scale perfect working model Ferrari 312 pb, including a scale model of the 12-cylinder engine, all made entirely from scratch. The video (from, I believe, an episode of Top Gear) is fascinating.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

DanHenderson wrote:
JamesGifford wrote:
Car, of course.

I'm not sure about the "of course" part.

Sorry - it's an of-course to me since I've never flown an AH-1. :)

Thu May 13, 2010 12:56 pm
Centennial Attendee

JamesGifford wrote:
DanHenderson wrote:
JamesGifford wrote:
Car, of course.

I'm not sure about the "of course" part.

Neither have I! But then I've never driven a Cobra, either. However, I have been *much* closer to a Cobra car than to the gunship. The Cobra is my all-time favorite car exterior. I understand they're a refried bitch to drive, though.

I had a friend in college majoring in mechanical engineering. He put a big American V-8 in an MG-B. He had to design and build his own exhaust manifold and move the firewall back into the cabin space to get it to work. When he fired it up and let out the clutch for the first time, it twisted the splines off the rear axle, which thereafter just spun in the hubs. Oops.

I also loved reading Mort Sahl's story of his experience with a Cobra in the January 1970 Playboy in a story entitled "Charmed by a Snake." Hilarious.

Thu May 13, 2010 3:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

DanHenderson wrote:
JamesGifford wrote:

Neither have I! But then I've never driven a Cobra, either. However, I have been *much* closer to a Cobra car than to the gunship. The Cobra is my all-time favorite car exterior. I understand they're a refried bitch to drive, though.

Not really. Some of the extremely overpowered ones (600+ HP) are far too easy to break loose, but with a more moderate (for certain values of "moderate") mill they are quite tractable. A friend noted that anything more than 400HP at the rear wheel is pretty much wasted, as you can't get it to the ground without great finesse. Another wag said the difference between 400HP and 600HP is the pitch the rears make when you spin them.

But with about 500 under the hood, meaning right around 400-420 at the wheels, and a moderate cam, they're no less drivable than any sporting vehicle as long as you're gentle on the go pedal. You can get into deep, deep trouble very fast with ~2300 pounds, a 90-inch wheelbase and that much power. One of the above gents said Shelby should have just designed the car backwards since they want to swap ends so much anyway.

But gawd'amighty are they fun to drive. As long as it doesn't rain. And as long as the continual clank of dropping jaws doesn't bother you.

Quote:
He put a big American V-8 in an MG-B.

Far too many shade tree geniuses think stuffing in a hot mill is the whole task. Besides needing a driveline that can take it, you need a frame that can take it. I recall quite a few 1979-82 or so Mustangs that got heated up under the hood... and then twisted 10 degrees front to rear, permanently, the first time out of the gate. Cobras typically have toploaders or beefy Tremec or Richmond trannies and reinforced Jag rear ends to get the power down.

Bill Cosby's routine about the Cobra Shelby built for him is incredibly funny, too. He was smart to send it back - the second owner spun off a cliff in the LA hills and required only a headstone to mark the spot.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:57 pm
Centennial Attendee

I have NEVER been a lead foot driver and even the thought of driving that cobra absolutely terrifies me!

Also it has itty bitty pedals with gas and brake WAY too close to each other.

And windshield wipers!

Thu May 13, 2010 7:27 pm
Centennial Attendee

I also heard that there is no way to effectively cool the cabin in warm climates, so driving one is similar to time spent in a sauna.

Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

DanHenderson wrote:
I also heard that there is no way to effectively cool the cabin in warm climates, so driving one is similar to time spent in a sauna.

Oh, it's easy to cool the interior. Fresh air ducts from the front brake cooling vents to the footwells work marvelously. If not, go faster. :D High-tech heat insulation on the footboxes helps a lot, too.

It's the broiling temps up the sides from the sidepipes that get you... but only when you're standing still.

I thought it was silly that the air vents had shut-off knobs. I also rolled my eyes at the heater but know that most licensing jurisdictions require defrosting capability (and wipers, hence the wipers that look like they were stolen from Barbie's Corvette). But you know what? Driving around in nippy temps actually called for closing the air vents and powering up the heater. Cozy.

Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 am

BillMullins wrote:
Blackhawk --

I live in Huntsville. Did you have some of these on display at a show here at the Jaycees building last year? They look familiar.

What part of Alabama do you live in?

Bill Mullins

Bill,

I also live in Huntsville and I did have some of the Heinlein models entered in the Huntsville Plastic Modelers Society (HPMS) model contest at the Jaycees building last year. I've been a member of HPMS for over 30 years.

Dan Thompson
aka Blackhawk

Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 am
Profile WWW

RobertJames wrote:
I think the decline in modeling comes from several sources.

A) the obsession with sniffing glue in the seventies drove the models off the shelves of neighborhood drug stores, Kmarts, grocery stores, and the like.

B) since they are no longer visible to kids, kids don't do them.

C) we are moving away from Yankee know-how, tinkering, do-it-yourself culture. Twenty years ago, all of my students could disassemble and repair their own cars; last time I polled them, two of them could.

D) Patience is a virtue we are losing. Modeling requires patience.

Make sense?

Those all sound reasonable to me except the last. I regulary have people tell me they would not have the patience to build models like I do, especially when they see the amount of detail in person. But my reply is that everyone has the patience to do the things that they enjoy doing. For instance, I would never have the patience to play golf or watch baseball. But some people seem to have infinite amounts of patience for those activities.

But even the short attention span that a lot of young people seem to have is not necessarily an impediment to getting started in modeling. My model club does a make-n-take every year at a toy fair. We help kids assemble simple models which they can then take home. We usually slam these models together in 30 minutes or less. That's quick enough that very few kids get bored with it. Many come back to do another model. Sure, it's not high quality modeling but it may get them interested enough to try it on their own. If they do and continue to enjoy it, they will develop the patience to do better work as they learn more advanced techniques. I believe that's how it works for pretty much everyone.

Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next