View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Leslyn in the 1920's 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Leslyn in the 1920's
We can get that permission, I think...but if you have copies, it doesn't really matter. The words are copyrighted to Leslyn's heirs.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:50 am
Heinlein Biographer

RobertJames wrote:
We can get that permission, I think...but if you have copies, it doesn't really matter. The words are copyrighted to Leslyn's heirs.

Yes, I exchanged e-mails Colin Hubbard recently, and he seemed as cordially open as ever.

But the copyright law with respect to ownership of publication rights for letters is well settled: the originator owns the publication rights. That is where an archive might run afoul the law: an institution cannot appeal to the "private use" exception (which is no longer a strong one in any case); any photocopying that does not obviously fall under fair use (and it's not an obvious area of law) could make the institution subject to the penalties for exploitation. It's understandable in the post-copyright era that an institution might institute an embargo for safety's sake.

I was thinking recently, it might be a good idea to incorporate all this information you are talking about and talking about developing into an expansion of the Leslyn biography, which can then be given a separate publication. I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to work up an offprint service of the Journal and do it up as a separate book, because there are lots of photos as well, that need better reproduction than I could give them as part of the Journal.

And as to a question raised earlier in the thread: there has never been any financial or other arrangement of the Journal with the Society (except as below). I started both at about the same time, but the Journal was never "subsidized" by the Society. For a short time the Society took orders for subscriptions, and I gave the Society $2 per unit sub, but David was never happy with the arrangement and ended it.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:16 am

BillPatterson wrote:
I was thinking recently, it might be a good idea to incorporate all this information you are talking about and talking about developing into an expansion of the Leslyn biography, which can then be given a separate publication. I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to work up an offprint service of the Journal and do it up as a separate book, because there are lots of photos as well, that need better reproduction than I could give them as part of the Journal.
That works for me. I've got more stuff than I've posted here.

Quote:
And as to a question raised earlier in the thread: there has never been any financial or other arrangement of the Journal with the Society
I'm sorry to have raised the question -- I thought you had told me via email at one point that next issue of the Journal (whenever it was) was waiting on (among other things) funding from the Society.

My bad (as the kids say).

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 am
Heinlein Biographer

BillMullins wrote:
Quote:
And as to a question raised earlier in the thread: there has never been any financial or other arrangement of the Journal with the Society
I'm sorry to have raised the question -- I thought you had told me via email at one point that next issue of the Journal (whenever it was) was waiting on (among other things) funding from the Society.

My bad (as the kids say).

That one has me puzzled as there never has been that kind of relationship with the Society.

The only thing I can think of is that in 2005 I did wait to issue the January number until I should receive the last of the monies the Society took in for subscription orders on its website, which had accumulated to something like $1000 or close to. That was more than enough to pay printing and mailing.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:10 pm

From the Corona CA Daily Independent, 6/16/1921 p 2.

MacDonald Family Moving to Hollywood

Mr. and Mrs. Colin MacDonald and two daughters Leslyn and Keith, leave Saturday for Hollywood where they will make their future home. Mr. MacDonald is connected with the English auditing firm of Price-Waterhous in Los Angeles where he has been since January first.

The MacDonald family came to Corona from Riverside two years ago where Mr. MacDonald was employed as chief clerk and auditor in F. A. Miller's Mission Inn. While in Corona Mr. MacDonald was connected with the United Chemical Works as accountant.

The family during their residence here have made many friends who will be sorry to learn that they are permanently leaving this city. Miss Leslyn MacDonald is a member of this year's senior class at C.H.S. and was one of the most popular members of the class, her ability as an elocutionist, a dancer and a singer having won her many friends. The family address in Hollywood will be 6344 Primrose avenue.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2