View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Day of the Triffids 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Day of the Triffids
audrey wrote:
I didn't write that...

But I did! The 'quote' system is not always intuitive. :o

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:39 am
Profile WWW

SusanPaciga wrote:
I read Day of the Triffid years ago...I remember lending the book to one of the teachers who oversaw my student teaching (yep, that long ago) and never getting it back. I listened to it recently on an audio book and enjoyed it just as much. It is a book that holds up well.

The Hollywood version, 1962, was, well, typical Hollywood with Howard Keel of all people. They saved the world with salt-water!

The BBC did a version for television in 1981 which I recall as being very close to the original.

I read the book when it was first published in 1951 and re-read it fairly often. I had to replace the original with a 1989 printing from Del Rey which I still have.

The only other book of Wyndham's that I recall reading was 'Midwich Cuckoos'. I thought the first movie with George Sanders was pretty good, but didn't think much of the sequels and the version with Christopher Reeve didn't measure up IMO. I see from IMDB that they are supposed to release a remake for tv scheduled for August 30.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

PeterScott wrote:
Any more of this and the thread should be split, but just for the benefit of any one reading this thread wondering, "Who is this Blish guy?", I don't want them to go away thinking that he was some transplanted hack who just wrote bad Trek novelizations.
[...]
Cities in Flight is a series I reread every few years like Stranger and the Foundation trilogy. Time to pick it up again, I think.

And I finally have. Last night I read They Shall Have Stars and I was--amazingly, considering this is at least my fifth reading--blown away by the sophistication and layering of this book. It is so carefully crafted and works on so many levels. And the psychosis that his 2013 society had regarding national security is damn close to the one we have in 2011. The man does not get the recognition he deserves. It even struck me that this book has many Heinlein hallmarks about it. Certainly I think it likely that Bob would have had great admiration for it.

It occurs to me, naively, that Blish had much the relationship to Spengler as Heinlein did to Cabell. Comments welcome.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3