View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
What the Hell is he Talking About? 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: What the Hell is he Talking About?
Robert W Franson wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
Incidentally I've been meaning to mention that I picked up on Ebay a copy of your 1964 SFR (#11 -- with the review of Starship Troopers).
Ah! Well, I hope I've learned a bit about reading, writing, and reviewing in the intervening years!

If a complete set of my Science Fiction Review (44 issues) might be useful, please let me know and I'll see if I can assemble a set for you, gratis. Since I've lately seen SFR mentioned and even reprinted from online, I've been wondering if I should put it online, as a little historical document of its time.

It certainly would be useful -- a snapshot of sf fandom the year after the Breen Boondoggle and a year before the Double:Bill Symposium. I thank you and do recommend putting the entire thing online.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:30 pm
Centennial Attendee

Robert W Franson wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
Incidentally I've been meaning to mention that I picked up on Ebay a copy of your 1964 SFR (#11 -- with the review of Starship Troopers).
Ah! Well, I hope I've learned a bit about reading, writing, and reviewing in the intervening years!

If a complete set of my Science Fiction Review (44 issues) might be useful, please let me know and I'll see if I can assemble a set for you, gratis. Since I've lately seen SFR mentioned and even reprinted from online, I've been wondering if I should put it online, as a little historical document of its time.

I, too, would enjoy reading more of your stuff.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Yes ... I did pick an interesting mini-era to enter the Immortal Storm of active SF fandom.

I'll try to set aside time to organize the Science Fiction Review hoard. I have a handy reference set but the general back-issues are not sequenced.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Robert W Franson wrote:
Yes ... I did pick an interesting mini-era to enter the Immortal Storm of active SF fandom.

I'll try to set aside time to organize the Science Fiction Review hoard. I have a handy reference set but the general back-issues are not sequenced.
I'm looking forward to seeing them. It was a very interesting time in fannish history. I don't know whether anyone is really aware of it, but the Breen Boondoggle so offended the Heinleins (they were friendly with Walter and Marian at the time), that it really propelled them out of fandom after the generally good time had by all at Seacon.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 am
PITA Bred

I was only dimly aware of the BB, but in reviewing the record I note that Breen was indeed a lifelong NAMBLA type - something not much more acceptable today than in the 1950s - and ended his life in prison for his activities.

Most fandom feuds and follies seem inutterably silly from outside or decades distant, but there may have been some substance to this one. Is there any record of Heinlein's thoughts after Breen was convicted?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:43 am
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
I was only dimly aware of the BB, but in reviewing the record I note that Breen was indeed a lifelong NAMBLA type - something not much more acceptable today than in the 1950s - and ended his life in prison for his activities.

Most fandom feuds and follies seem inutterably silly from outside or decades distant, but there may have been some substance to this one. Is there any record of Heinlein's thoughts after Breen was convicted?
Walter Breen was little more than the subject of inquries as to health and so forth (though he wrote one of the sanest contemporary overviews of Stranger IIRC) -- RAH was more a corresponding friend with Marion Zimmer Bradley. The chatty correspondence with MZB continued for several years (I think into the 70's but I haven't stopped to look up the last recorded letter); I think the corresponding friendship may simply have worn itself out over time (as some do and others do not)

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am
NitroForum Oldster

What l read about the Breen affair made me extremely wary at a most impressionable time of my encounter with organized fandom. I didn't try to follow what wider turmoil it created.

Concerning Science Fiction Review. Thanks for the interest, guys! Shortly after I read the eBay mention here on Friday, I got a phone call out of the blue from my founding partner in the reviewzine; he was in town, and suggested dinner that evening. So at dinner we discussed putting it online, and he also thought it a good idea.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Robert W Franson wrote:
What l read about the Breen affair made me extremely wary at a most impressionable time of my encounter with organized fandom. I didn't try to follow what wider turmoil it created.

Concerning Science Fiction Review. Thanks for the interest, guys! Shortly after I read the eBay mention here on Friday, I got a phone call out of the blue from my founding partner in the reviewzine; he was in town, and suggested dinner that evening. So at dinner we discussed putting it online, and he also thought it a good idea.

I think it an excellent idea.

It's probably fortunate that RAH was gone by the time of Breen's arrest and conviction, as it was the child of another colleague that was involved -- and RAH was spared having to tell Marion that the statutes -- and the social attitudes -- Walter ran afoul of were not secrets and neither is the Thirteenth Commandment.

It's difficult to navigate the right of any such situation, because sometimes there isn't any right, and other times you can't do the right and sensible thing even if you can identify it, because of the hysteria and moral revulsion such things generate in people.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 pm
Centennial Organizer

How odd -- I missed most of that even though I read SFR.

I have all the Alien Critic issues that preceded SFR.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:52 pm
Centennial Organizer

Oh, and Bester was considered one of Campbell's writers, too.

Once John Campbell handed out the same idea to different writers to see what would result. One idea was given to both Bester and Sturgeon. The results? One short Sturgeon story called "Granny Won't Knit", which was not one of his award winners -- and The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

I was quite a fan of Bester's fiction -- and of Sturgeon's as well.

I leave you with a verse from a song written by Jim Gunn's students in the summer of 1979, called "Lawrence, Kansas Blues":

"It ain't no alien monster
A risin' from the grave.
'Tis the ghost of old John Campbell
Come to part the damned New Wave!

I got those Lawrence, Kansas blues ..."

:lol:

Last edited by TinaBlack on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next