View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
"Have Spacesuit" to be filmed? 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: "Have Spacesuit" to be filmed?
James Gifford wrote:
My attitude towards the modernity of the story has swung over quite an arc. When I first read it, I didn't have enough worldview to judge it. A few years later, it seemed a little 50s-ish and dated. Through the seventies, it was godawful dated. Then a funny thing happened to me and (I think) society; it's not really dated at all. If anything, with very minor points it could be set in the here and now of any time from 1990 to ten years from now.

There are things I would touch up in a screenplay, but not much. The critical thing is to get Kip's arc of character growth exactly - *exactly* - right. From a world no bigger than his backyard laboratory to spokesman for the human race... that's a big damned arc.

I dunno -- its one of those Puritan-heritage things: all members of the purified church (for which in Heinlein read "Americans") are God's vicars on earth and therefore suitable to represent all of humankind.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 pm

And for all that, I see no reason at all it wouldn't sell as a period piece, if done properly.

The problem that's common with adaptations is that the writers don't figure out *all* of the interactions, and how they change if you update things.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Baylink wrote:
And for all that, I see no reason at all it wouldn't sell as a period piece, if done properly.

Ay-uh. Like when George Clooney did a remake of "Fail Safe" a few years ago without changing a thing.

Including keeping it in black and white.

And doing it live and in prime time to boot. On a major network!

Just because it was one of his favorite movies.

He earned a lifetime supply of points in my book for that. That's class, ladies and gents.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

Was that ever released on DVD or anything?

Cause, what you said.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:52 am
Centennial Attendee

James Gifford wrote:
There are things I would touch up in a screenplay, but not much.

I think they should leave in Kip's slide rule. None of the kids in the audience, nor the vast majority of the adults, would have any clue about the device's history. I've been waiting for decades for the opportunity to drop the phrase "log log decitrig" into casual conversation. I still have the old Pickett bamboo slide rule that got me through high school.

Dan

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

dh490311 wrote:
I think they should leave in Kip's slide rule. None of the kids in the audience, nor the vast majority of the adults, would have any clue about the device's history.

LOL. Neither its history nor use nor appearance. It would seem like the highest kind of "sci-fi" tech, something from the 22nd century.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:30 am
PITA Bred

dh490311 wrote:
I think they should leave in Kip's slide rule.

If I may mix my sf sources and genres for a moment - abso-fraggin'-lutely.

Quote:
I've been waiting for decades for the opportunity to drop the phrase "log log decitrig" into casual conversation.

You mean, as in "I own four K+E Log-Log Duplex Decitrig slipsticks, including a 6 inch, two 10 inch and a 20-inch... and yes it is a beauty."

Like that?

(I should post pix.)

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:34 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Baylink wrote:
Was that ever released on DVD or anything?

Cause, what you said.

http://www.amazon.com/Fail-Safe-Richard-Dreyfuss/dp/B000NTPG7K/

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 pm
Profile WWW

"Have Spacesuit" as a film? I can think of many of Heinlein's other works that would be better on the big screen. "Glory Road" for instance would make a fabulous movie.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:35 pm

James Gifford wrote:
My attitude towards the modernity of the story has swung over quite an arc. When I first read it, I didn't have enough worldview to judge it. A few years later, it seemed a little 50s-ish and dated. Through the seventies, it was godawful dated. Then a funny thing happened to me and (I think) society; it's not really dated at all. If anything, with very minor points it could be set in the here and now of any time from 1990 to ten years from now.

There are things I would touch up in a screenplay, but not much. The critical thing is to get Kip's arc of character growth exactly - *exactly* - right. From a world no bigger than his backyard laboratory to spokesman for the human race... that's a big damned arc.

I remember thinking very much the same as Mr. Gifford. When I read it as an 8th grader (1970)l I liked it ok. When I re-read it about three years later, I thought it was trite. When I re-read it in my 30s, I saw it as a great coming of age story, much better. (How Mark Twainish of me--I was amazed at how much the old man had improved.)

But if I could, I'd put a ban on filming all Heinlein's work unless I or someone I trusted was producing. How elite of me, huh? They'll muck it up; you know they will. Actually, the last line caused the blood to drain from my face: Planning a film of Moon is a Harsh Mistress? NO. They'll kark it up so badly. You know they will. And it would make a GREAT film, but Hollywood won't.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next