View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Centennial: R.I.P. 

Post Re: Centennial: R.I.P.
May I just add my belated thanks for a FABULOUS weekend? I don't do cons much; this was my third maybe? The first one being in 1974 or 5 when I was in high school and I tagged along with some friends going to the Star Trek convention in NYC. So, I am not familar with fandom or cons, I just have read Heinlein for going on 40 years now and love the chance to talk to others. I was convinced to go to the con by a friend on the now defunct Quotable Heinlein page who insisted that there will be other conventions, but never one devoted exclusive to Robert A.

I just walked around in awe. I loved the discussions, I loved talking to people, I loved looking up at the assembly after the banquet and realizing I was three empty chairs away from Spider Robinson. I just loved every minute; the hardest part was deciding between equally compelling discussions in the same time slot.

Really a wonderful job, all! Thank you again!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:01 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Suzela57 wrote:
I was convinced to go to the con by a friend on the now defunct Quotable Heinlein page who insisted that there will be other conventions, but never one devoted exclusive to Robert A.

Yup. Heinlein also had the foresight to schedule his centenary before the economy went in the crapper. :D

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Peter Scott wrote:
Yup. Heinlein also had the foresight to schedule his centenary before the economy went in the crapper. :D

Good gawd, I hadn't even thought of that. That knife-edge of success would have slashed us all to itsy-bitsy ribbons even a year later. *shudder*.

"...sliding down the razor blade of life... eeeyh." - Tom Lehrer

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:18 pm
Centennial Organizer

Heh -- it did occupy the first half of my 2007, and in 2008 I went back into the workplace. I still want a copy of all the video, sine I never really got to hear any programming.

:roll:

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:28 pm
Heinlein Biographer

TinaBlack wrote:
Heh -- it did occupy the first half of my 2007, and in 2008 I went back into the workplace. I still want a copy of all the video, sine I never really got to hear any programming.

:roll:

Heck, I was on a goodly fraction of that programming and I never really got to hear it.

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:28 pm

This is a bit off-topic, but I'd like to use this thread as an opportunity to thank you guys for putting the event together.
All the best,
Jim Cunningham

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:02 am

Now that a shorter and edited version of my 14,600 word ramblings on that marvelous weekend have appeared elsewhere, I thought about putting the longer, unexpurgated version here. But 14,600 words seems a bit long for this format! Hopefully Deb will get it on heinleinprize.com soonish, which Art Dula approved long ago.

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Hold on and keep polishing, Geo. The new web site is an article-based platform and I assure you that (1) we have room and (2) we have interest and (3) it won't depend on me or anyone else to get off their chunk and make it happen - you submit the article and all I or one of the other supervisory types has to do is click it into life.

Not exclusive, either; feel free to publish alternate versions anywhere they fit.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:41 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Nice to see you Geo. We do have room - I have it on good authority that Jim's servers can store content in the tens of kilobytes, at least. You can always break it up, like I did my Centennial story. But we are about to have better options than just the forum for that kind of stuff.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

Did I also mention I still have that last unopened bottle of Jack Daniels from Jim and Audrey's con suite (they were flying; we were driving) put away in a closet with a note attached to it explaining its provenance and directing that at my demise bottle and note be delivered to either Jim (if I proceed him) or the chairman of any 50th-increment RAH anniversay celebration?

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next