View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever
Bill Patterson wrote:
I don't see any reason to believe it will happen until they turn upon the Neocons and rend them limb from limb and tread upon the gobbets of flesh.

What he said.

Here are the lost roots of the Republican party.

Wikipedia quotes Jeff Riggenbach about this group (Mencken, Nock, Lane, Garrett, Flynn, etc.): "[they] were accepted members of the 'Left' before 1933. Yet, without changing any of their fundamental views, all of them, over the next decade, came to be thought of as examplars of the political 'Right.'"

Sound familiar?

Last edited by FredReynolds on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Peter Scott wrote:
This is a party that hasn't just lost its moral compass, it's burned its maps, shot the cartographer, and jammed its sextant up its anus.

Can I make a bumper sticker out of that?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 pm
Heinlein Nexus

It's such a bitch when the head of your church disagrees with your own interpretation of said church's teachings: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sarah ... 37069.html

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

Peter, I have *no* idea where you got the impression that Sarah Palin is Catholic, but she isn't. She's a member of a Pentecostal-type church that last I checked believed the Catholic Church was apostate and going to hell. Criticize her all you want, but let's get the facts straight, OK?

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Ah, mea culpa. That does cast her comments in a different light. Although there's this sense that she was perfectly happy to ride on the Pope's coat tails while he was condemning homosexuals and other groups she opposes.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

For various reasons, I have some beliefs in common with this Pope and previous ones. I'm not Catholic, and I don't consider myself to be riding on the Pope's coattails.

By the same logic, I don't think Palin is (or was) doing so.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 am
Heinlein Nexus

Point taken. Just saying that when she said, in effect, that she thought this pope had lost touch with his religion... well, that's a special kind of offensive.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

From the linked article, and the original Jake Tapper interview, it would appear the sum of her comments about the Pope are "He's had some statements that to me sound kind of liberal, has taken me aback, has kind of surprised me. "

The Pope's statements about gays do sound kind of liberal, especially compared to some of his predecessors, and they surprised me (and some of my Catholic friends). (They didn't particularly take me aback.)

"Lost touch with his religion" are your words, not hers. If you want to take special offense, at least get offended by what she says instead of something made up.

I get it that you don't care for her. But there's no need to misrepresent her, her faith, or her statements on the public comments of a public figure to make your point.

And the linked article is aggressively dumb. It says that Palin fears the Pope is influenced by the media, but her comments are pretty clear that she fears the media is mischaracterizing the Pope's statements, and she'd rather go to his original statements than trust what the media says about them.

Which, given how this particular article screws up what she said, seems like a pretty reasonable step to take.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 pm

PeterScott wrote:
Point taken. Just saying that when she said, in effect, that she thought this pope had lost touch with his religion... well, that's a special kind of offensive.

Yeah, IMHO that would be offensive because she isn't Catholic. But as Bill pointed out, you're basing your criticism on an article that apparently misstated her words. She's got as much right to be taken aback by something that the Pope says as a Catholic does; the Pope's views just don't affect the foundations of her belief system as they might (only might) that of a Catholic.

BTW, although I'm not Catholic, I am a practicing Orthodox Christian. My religious views are considerably closer to those of a Catholic than of Sarah Palin. The current Pope has surprised me more than once, just mostly pleasantly. Palin has mostly surprised me unpleasantly. :/ But a great deal of what she says and does -- disturbing, in many cases -- is made worse by much of the media, which seems determined to demonize her. I don't want her to be president, but I don't think that she deserves the treatment that she mostly gets either.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

As a point of reference, Joe Muto in "An Atheist in the FOXhole" (his account of how a liberal ended up working for Fox and getting fired for leaking videos to Gawker) seems to be making an effort to be fair - he has plenty of praise for Bill O'Reilly and - it hurts even to type this - says that Ann Coulter is nice in person. But he derides Palin as vacuous and unwilling to expend any effort to go beyond the sound bite level of understanding issues,

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next