View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
What I've Been Up To 
Heinlein Nexus

Post What I've Been Up To
If I may be indulged a moment of self-promotion, I wanted to let you know about a new project of mine that you may be interested in. I have written a book on a topic of great importance to me; it is called:

Crisis of Control: How Artificial SuperIntelligences May Destroy or Save the Human Race

A few years ago, a purpose seized me. I realized something important and urgent about where society is heading. My daughters' future was at stake, and I was frustrated that there wasn't an approachable, complete message about that future out there. I couldn't ignore the call to make that message clear, and although I don't have a firm grasp on social media outreach, I started a website. It was hard to order my thoughts to make the message succinct, so I wrote it as a book, and I think it turned out very well.

In a nutshell: Exponential advance of technology creates two existential threats: facilitating bioterrorism and empowering rogue artificial intelligence. As science-fiction as these sound, the threats are real and close, and the remedy so drastic that immediate understanding and action is vital. The book lays out the near-term and further effects, and makes the case for a marriage between technology and human development, to create ethical, compassionate AI. What if:

• A technology career isn't the best choice for our children?
  • Jobs lost to automation don't come back?
  • Our survival depends upon teaching machines what it means to be human?

People who have read this book have reacted so positively that I think there are a great many other people who would really love to read it if only they knew about it. Being self-published means marketing and promotion are all up to me, so you're looking at part of it. I've been interviewed on Bloomberg Radio and Voice of America so far.

If you're interested, the book is available from Amazon in paperback and Kindle in apparently the entire developed world, with links at http://humancusp.com/book1 . What would help even more than buying the book would be telling other people about it, and one very effective and easy way of doing that is to write a review on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUIS9QM/). That would be very helpful. And if you want to hear more about this project and its future books as it unfolds, just let me know and I'll put you on a mailing list.

Finally... a little piece of promotional fun I made for your amusement:

Peter

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: What I've Been Up To
This sounds really fascinating and right inside my area of interest, and as an independent author myself I understand the challenge. I checked out the sample on the Amazon page and definitely liked what I saw in the introductory pages. Great job, sir.

Please consider me a customer, although I will not be able to actually make the purchase until the end of the month and my paycheque comes in. After Worldcon I can either buy more books with my remaining money, or feed my family. And I know, I know - but I tossed a coin and food won.

A review will be added just as soon as the book is read. And I will of course share the link on my modest collection of social media communities.

- Chucky

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]