View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
2015 Hugo Nominations 

Post Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations
beamjockey wrote:
On his blog, "More Words, Deeper Hole," noting "the absence of the second Heinlein bio from either of the Puppy slates," James Nicoll stirs up trouble.
Quote:
Doesn't this mean the Puppies effectively declared a War on Heinlein by denying that volume a spot on the ballot? I think instead of Puppygate, The War on Heinlein would be a better name for the whole Puppy thing.

From there: "Quoting Heinlein to the Puppies is like quoting Jesus to a fundamentalist preacher. He's all but irrelevant to them at this point; the only reason anyone points to him is to give them legitimacy."

That's pretty amusing.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:52 pm

beamjockey wrote:
We had been wondering whether The Man Who Learned Better would have been a finalist in the absence of the Puppies. The answer appears to be no.
Well, I suppose that given the way that selections within a ballot interact during the counting process, it's possible for candidates below the biography to have added more to the biography to other works as they were eliminated, but I suspect that you are right.

Bill, thanks for bringing this here, and I guess we owe you thanks for publishing the Hugo Awards Ceremony tape as well. This helps a long time science fiction reader understand the world of SF/F fandom better. Looks like fun.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:57 pm
Centennial Attendee

Thanks for posting the breakdowns. I knew they were out there but you saved me time hunting them down.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2