View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Jeanne Robinson, RIP 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Jeanne Robinson, RIP
I don't know if she was on the flight, but a dancer under her supervision did get a flight to try out the planned choreography. That was always as intended as Jeanne tacitly admitted her dancing days were past... I wonder now how long Spider and Jeanne might have known of her illness.

"Nunnie," as my Bawstun cousins would have said. (I asked what it meant. "Nunnie-ya-fuggin-bidness"...)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm
Centennial Attendee

PeterScott wrote:
Sigh.

Did she take the zero-g flight that Peter Diamandis offered at the convention? I did not check.

Yes. Go look at the Stardance movie site/blog and you'll see a couple of YouTube clips from the flight.
(edited: http://www.stardancemovie.com/video_sample.html )

It made me feel a lot better to watch them again.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:01 am
Profile WWW

And now Spider and Jeanne's daughter has cancer . . . .

LINK

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Unfortunately true. :/ I'd heard about this a few days ago; should've posted here.

Terri won't ask directly, and she has good health insurance so her family probably isn't facing bankruptcy, but there's a LOT with this sort of diagnosis that insurance simply doesn't cover. So any donations that people can afford to give can go here:

http://gracefulwomanwarrior.org/contact.html

If (like me) you avoid PayPal, you can mail a check here:

gracefulwomanwarrior
PO Box 80055
Dartmouth. MA 02748

I know that they'll appreciate anything that people can spare.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile WWW

Terri has now entered hospice care.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Has Spider Robinson retired? I don't see anything by him on the ISFDB since about 2010. And his website hasn't been updated with anything other than statuses of the illnesses of his family in some time.

Between his own health problems and his family losses, I can understand how writing and publishing might not be what he wants to do, but it would be a shame if he has stopped.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Agreed, BillMullins: I've been reading Spider Robinson for quite a while.

In an almost irrelevant aside, I noted this entry on the link you gave a couple of messages ago in this thread:

Quote:
Mark Heinlein
January 29 at 5:52pm
I just heard of you , but I have heard that Thyme and chamomile are effective against breast cancer

I wonder if he is a relative of RAH.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:01 pm

I think Jeanne would have approved of this:
OK Go Zero G music video

From the "making of":

Quote:
Tatyana Martynova and Anastasia Burdina, our S7 air hostesses, are trained aerialist acrobats. It was quite a challenge to figure out what type of performers would be best to work with in these very unusual circumstances. We considered several types of acrobats, dancers, gymnasts, and swimmers, because each of those fields has some overlap with the set of skills we thought we’d need. In the end, the pair of aerialists we chose were perfect for a few reasons. First, the routines they are trained to do usually involve a lot of very fast spinning in circles, meaning that they’ve developed incredible vestibular systems (the bodily system for balance). [...] Second, they really know how to control their bodies using only their own strength and balance. Gymnasts push off the floor and swimmers push against the water, but aerialists have very little to push off of, so they develop incredible skills just using inertia and balance. Third, Tatyana and Anastasia were already friends and were great at working together and coming up with their own ideas. Since so much of our process is about experimenting with things and stumbling into new ideas along the way, we were excited to find a pair of performers who could jump right in, experiment together,and help us come up with the ideas. The coolest tricks they do are all moves that they came up with themselves, or with the help of our incredible Cosmonaut Trainers.

And while we're at it, a TED-style talk by Spider Robinson.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 am
Centennial Attendee

That was entertaining. And yep, I bet Jeanne would have liked it.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2