View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Introduce Yourself 

Post Re: Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone,

some of you might still remember me from alt.fan.heinlein, I was a semi-active regular there for a while a good number of years back. I'm about to successfully complete my 4th decade on this planet soon, and even though I'm originally from Germany I call "nice and sunny" Massachusetts my home now (eventually I might get used to the New England weather, it just hasn't happened yet). I've read pretty much everything by Heinlein and now I'm working my way through the juveniles and the Future History with my step-son (11), which leads me to look at some of the classics with slightly adjusted eyes.

Most important question of course: Did anyone bring the bar or did that stay back at a.f.h.?

CU soon in one of the other areas :-)
Oliver

Today's Teaser:
"Pet luck!", said the goldfish and drowned.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi, Oliver! You might remember me from AFH, or from the GENie SFRT, as "Ariel" or under my real name, Catherine (Hampton) Jefferson. Welcome to the Heinlein forum!

The bar is installed and waiting, although most people seem to take their drinks and wander around the forum. Feel free to make use of it. (Walking around, slurping ${BEVERAGE_OF_CHOICE}.)

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

Though I'm known as "mostlyclassics" throughout the internet, in real life I'm Tom Kendall. "Mostly Classics" is my DBA: I deal in older postage stamps and postal history.

My first Heinlein was Time for the Stars. My grandfather, who was the midwest book buyer for A.C. McClurg, gave me the galley proof and wanted to know my opinion. As he put it, "You're a kid, and I'm not." After I read it, he grilled me for about an hour. Thereafter, every summer, I read the latest Heinlein juvenile in the galley proofs, followed by an intensive discussion with my grandfather.

As was not the case for most other science fiction writers, he had a great respect for RAH: he regarded him as a sort of cross between Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway as regards style, but vastly more disciplined than Hemingway, whom he knew and often helped edit. (Once I was in his home office flipping through his stamp collection when Hemingway called. Then ensued a long conversation between my grandfather and Hemingway, my grandfather's end of the conversation lubricated by several martinis. I still have his martini glasses. I wish I could remember more of the discussion. I do remember it had to do with The Old Man and the Sea, with which Hemingway was struggling. But I was only four at the time.)

Ever since Time for the Stars, I've been an avid RAH fan. After my grandfather retired, I even went so far as to search out each new Heinlein and shell out hard money for it. Many of the books I've had to replace at least twice. Some were read to death, some were lent and never returned and some disappeared in moves or a basement flood. Don't keep part of your library in a basement prone to flooding!

Finally I replaced all my dog-eared paperbacks with the Virginia Edition last year. What a quality production! Now I'm rereading the entire oevre. Starting with Time for the Stars, of course.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:57 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Welcome, Tom! Nice story you have there.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:15 pm
Profile WWW

Hi, Tom. Glad to see another Heinlein fan. That was a great introduction you had to his work. Your grandfather sounds like a cool guy.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Hi Tom! Glad to see you posting here. Nice story--better than any I have!

JT

Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Hi, Tom. What terrific childhood memories! And congrats on getting the Virginia Edition! I have one, too, but I started with "Have Space Suit, Will Travel," my introduction to Heinlein by my 3rd grade library teacher, Mrs. Prickett. I wish I could have tracked her down as an adult and told her how much it meant to me! That book turned me into a reader.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:28 am
Profile YIM WWW

Hi Tom - Love the story! Welcome aboard.
I'd never read Hemingway until Christmas just passed - a friend who'd just received her PhD (in poetry) was adamant this was a gap in my education that had to be filled :) and I'm now reading A Moveable Feast. When I next see her I'll be using your anecdote to tempt her toward Heinlein!

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi, Tom!

You've got the coolest "How I started reading Heinlein" story I've *ever* read! Welcome to our little corner of the Internet. :) My bio is somewhere upthread a few years, so I won't repeat it here.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

Hi, I go by Kangaroo. I began reading Heinlein when I was 14 and have read just about everything he wrote. I am 64 now and haven't picked up a Heinlein book in awhile, but would in a heartbeat if I wanted to. I suppose my favorite is Revolt in 2100. I am strongly opposed to theocracy and thus loved it. As a Freemason I was intrigued to learn the rebels were led by Masonic Army officers from some Masonic source I have since forgotten. As we led the revolt against King George III (not specifically as a group, but leaders of the American Revolution including Franklin, Washington, Hancock, Lafayette, Rush, and Sherman were Masons, we informally claim it was a Masonic Revolution), we certainly could again should real tyranny arise.

I had reservations of associating myself with a group in which Jerry Pournelle is a board member as I disagree with his politics, but, why not? He's a hell of a writer and tells great stories. We don't generally choose our favorite artists by their politics.

Thank you for the opportunity to join the community.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next