View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
James Nicoll Re-Reads the Heinlein Juveniles 
Centennial Attendee

Post James Nicoll Re-Reads the Heinlein Juveniles
James Nicoll is a book reviewer and popular blogger in Kitchener, Ontario. On his review site, James has recently completed a weekly series he calls The Great Heinlein Juveniles (Plus The Other Two) Reread. (That link displays all the reviews in reverse order, so Rocket Ship Galileo, the earliest book, is at the bottom of the list.) You may comment there if you wish.

Each of the reviews also engendered lively commentary on James's Livejournal blog. His review site is rather new, and the majority of his commentariat continues to hang out on Livejournal.

In his introduction, James writes:

Quote:
Indeed, the reasonable reaction to the announcement by a once-favoured author that he (it's almost always a he, and almost always of a certain age) is going to try his hand at this Heinlein Juvenile thing is lamentation and despair, as the results are hardly ever any good and the effect on the author often corrosive.

I suspect part of the problem is that is not just modern would-be Heinleins are embracing a misguided nostalgia but also that they lack an Alice Dalgliesh to apply the steel-toed boot of editorial guidance to the adam's apple of authorial ambition. While Dalgliesh had her own issues, she seems to have been just the right editor for Heinlein. I base this on the fact that Heinlein wrote two more juveniles after he and Scribner's parted ways and they don't stand up to the Scribner's books at all.

Join me as I reread all twelve of the Scribner's books as well as the lesser Starship Troopers and Podkayne of Mars, one book each Friday.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: James Nicoll Re-Reads the Heinlein Juveniles
Not a bad reviewer, he only occasionally lets his 21st-century progressive politics impede his understanding of what Heinlein is doing. Which is less often than most critics.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]