View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Volume 2, Errors and Omissions 
Centennial Attendee

Post Volume 2, Errors and Omissions
Use this thread to post any "finds". This post opened up as a service to Dr. Robert James, whom Tor has asked to collect the errors and omissions for Volume 2.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Volume 2, Errors and Omissions
Just a general note, the Index is unreliable in the extreme. I'm mentioned a couple of times in the text and at least three times in the notes.... zero listings in the Index. No Fredric Brown, either. And those are just the first that caught my eye.

Michael Cassutt

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:58 pm
Centennial Attendee

p. 173: profit without honor

I think this is a joke rather than a spelling error.

On the day of the Apollo 11 launch in 1969:

p. 306: They were ferried like royalty to a motel in Coco Beach.

Cocoa Beach.

p. 306: where they talked with Hank and Barbie Stine and with Arthur C. Clarke and his wife, Connie.

Clarke's brief marriage to Marilyn Mayfield in 1953 ended in separation, the divorce being finalized in 1964. Who's Connie?

p. 495: Éric H. Picholle's name is misspelled as "Picolle."

Also on this page, Bill Patterson has fallen afoul of an understandable source of confusion.

Éric H. Picholle has CO-AUTHORED a book entitled Solutions Non Satisfaisante with Ugo Bellagamba. (Not "Hugo.") It's a critical look at Heinlein's fiction. Its subtitle is Une Anatomie de Robert A. Heinlein. It was published in 2008.

Éric H. Picholle has EDITED a book entitled Solution Non Satisfaisante. Its subtitle is Heinlein et L'Arme Atomique. It contains the story "Solution Unsatisfactory" along with essays about Heinlein's work by Éric himself and others. It was published in 2009, or anyway, its copyright date is given as 2009.

In his love for the title "Solution Non Satisfaisante," Éric has created a minefield for those attempting to follow his bibliographic trail.

So. On page 495 Patterson writes:

prepared for Solution Non Satisfaisante: Heinlein et l'Arme Atomique, Éric H. Picolle (who translated it into French) and Hugo Bellagamba. Paris: Editions du Somnium, 2010.

I suggest the following correction:

prepared for Solution Non Satisfaisante: Heinlein et l'Arme Atomique, edited by Éric H. Picholle (who translated it into French). Paris: Editions du Somnium, 2009.

--modulo the appropriate capitalization for the titles, or abbreviation for "edited by."

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:30 am
Profile WWW

Page 297, Patterson identifies the nominee of the 1968 Democratic National Convention as Eugene McCarthy.
It was Hubert Humphrey.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:51 pm
Centennial Attendee

I placed a pad of tiny Post-It notes inside my copy, to mark any errors I find as I read.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:03 pm
Profile WWW

MichaelCassutt wrote:
Just a general note, the Index is unreliable in the extreme.

Yes.

The indexer has taken the references to Frank Robinson (who was behind the Playboy interview) and the references to Spider Robinson, and combined them into one entry for Frank M. "Spider" Robinson.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:17 pm

This one's pretty minor. In the captions to the photographs, reference is made to "astronaut" Phil Chapman. Strictly speaking, it would be better to refer to him as having been a member of the astronaut corps. Generally, one isn't an astronaut until actually going into space, and Chapman resigned before making it up there.

Current NASA webpages refer to people who have been selected, but haven't yet flown, as astronaut candidates. But they also refer to Chapman as "former astronaut". So this may be a matter of style, rather than a hard-and-fast error.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 pm

The book makes references a couple of places to the 1962 Worldcon in Chicago as Chicon II, and refers to
programming transcription that was put together by Earl Kemp as The Proceedings of Chicon II (see Note 7
on p 533).

While you can find it both ways, I think the convention is more commonly called Chicon III. The book
by Kemp is more properly titled The Proceedings: Chicon III.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:30 am

P. 497 note 12: Rantz Hoseley's name is misspelled as "Hosely".

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:32 pm

BillMullins wrote:
This one's pretty minor. In the captions to the photographs, reference is made to "astronaut" Phil Chapman. Strictly speaking, it would be better to refer to him as having been a member of the astronaut corps. Generally, one isn't an astronaut until actually going into space, and Chapman resigned before making it up there.

Current NASA webpages refer to people who have been selected, but haven't yet flown, as astronaut candidates. But they also refer to Chapman as "former astronaut". So this may be a matter of style, rather than a hard-and-fast error.

After some off-line traffic, here's some more thinking on the subject.

Let me re-emphasize that this may be more a matter of style, subject to the tastes of a particular writer, than it is a out-and-out error.

Anecdotally, I've hear that Russian Cosmonauts won't sign autographs until after they've flown a mission, reinforcing the idea that one's status changes after flight (although this may be a matter of tradition or luck for them).

This page:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news ... eider.html
says that NASA considers people who have been selected to be members of the Astronaut Corps to be astronauts, regardless of flight status, while the military limits the designation to those who have reached the 50 mile altitude (at which aerodynamic forces start to become so small that control surfaces are insufficient to orient and guide a craft). Thus, some X-15 pilots are astronauts, despite not having been part of NASA's official astronaut corps.

The FAA awarded astronaut wings to the SpaceShipOne pilots.

Arguing against this strict definition of astronaut:

Beamjockey points out that when Chapman was named as an astronaut in 1967, he was routinely called such in press accounts.

Lists of deceased astronauts include people like Roger Chaffee (killed in the Apollo 1 fire), who never actually flew in space.

(The NASA webpage above implies that the distinction is important only to "the space enthusiasts who have little to do but worry about such things".)

So NASA is more inclusive than the rest of the world is on the subject. If companies like Scaled Composites and others get into regular launches of people, the definition may evolve further, or get standardized one way or the other.

If I had looked at the issue in this depth before I posted, I probably would have refrained from calling this one out as an error. The case for calling Chapman an astronaut is stronger than I had realized. But if I were writing the book and captions, my personal choice would be to use the strict definition, and call Chapman something other than "astronaut".

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next