View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Bill Patterson 

Post Re: Bill Patterson
Another obituary/remembrance: http://file770.com/?p=16741

And I just noticed that Google Books has the 2nd volume up -- it is partially browseable, so you can read short passages of it. Likewise take advantage of Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. You can't read the whole thing online, but enough to whet your appetite.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:33 am
Centennial Attendee

BillMullins wrote:
And I just noticed that Google Books has the 2nd volume up -- it is partially browseable, so you can read short passages of it. Likewise take advantage of Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. You can't read the whole thing online, but enough to whet your appetite.
Amazon reveals that your work is cited, twice. Which I was pleased to learn. Google Books, for some reason, refuses to divulge any mention of you.

Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 am
Profile WWW

Well how about that. When I got my copy of Vol 1, the first thing I did was check for my name. But I hadn't done so with either of these digital editions.

I made some modest contributions to Jeff Prucher's Brave New Words, a dictionary of SF terms that took the 2008 Hugo for Best Related. So when Vol 1 came out, I just knew that I'd be able to accept (in my mind) a second "micro-Hugo". I was kinda irritated at Lynne Thomas, who ended up winning the Best Related Hugo in 2011 (for Chicks Dig Time Lords) instead of Bill, at least until she did me an awesome favor on some conjuring research I was doing (after which I realized it was the same Lynne Thomas -- small world!).

Odd that the Google Books version doesn't get a search hit for "Mullins" -- I was able to read one of the relevant pages online, and one would presume that they are working from a digital version of the book that isn't subject to the vagaries of OCR.

I do see "Higgins" when I search, though.

Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3