View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Bill Patterson 

Post Bill Patterson
From Bill's Facebook page:

Quote:
"The family of Bill Patterson Jr. regretfully inform all of his friends/followers of his sudden passing. His death comes at such a loss to all of us. He lived his life to the fullest and the way he wanted. That is all anyone could ask for! (He did it his way) He was such a uniquic and talent person who touched each one of our lives. He will truely be missed so very much! If anyone has any questions or just want s to talk to a family member I can be reached at drhondawallace@yahoo.com. Thank you

Rob

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Post Re: Bill Patterson
I just heard about Bill's death over on SFFNet. :( I am so sorry! His biography of Heinlein was superb. I had hoped to buy him a drink when we met at a Con. I guess it won't happen now. :(

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

This is such a shock! Would anyone here be willing to tell us what happened??

Bill was directly responsible for my most profound personal experiences of Heinlein. He got me access to the archives of Heinlein's papers at UC Santa Cruz before they were locked away, and I got to sit at Heinlein's desk with his typewriter. He also took me to 115 Echo St. in Santa Cruz, the house the Heinleins lived in while they were building Bonny Dune, and it happened to be for sale with an open house going on, so I got to walk through it.

Can anyone tell us what's going to happen with the second volume of the biography? I don't imagine anyone else will pick up publication of the Heinlein Journal, which is a shame.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 am
Profile YIM WWW

DanHenderson wrote:

Bill was directly responsible for my most profound personal experiences of Heinlein. He got me access to the archives of Heinlein's papers at UC Santa Cruz before they were locked away, and I got to sit at Heinlein's desk with his typewriter. He also took me to 115 Echo St. in Santa Cruz, the house the Heinleins lived in while they were building Bonny Dune, and it happened to be for sale with an open house going on, so I got to walk through it.

Can anyone tell us what's going to happen with the second volume of the biography? I don't imagine anyone else will pick up publication of the Heinlein Journal, which is a shame.

Vol 2 is scheduled for a july? release. You can pre-order it from Amazon.

As for THJ, I don't know. I really hope that there is someone around with the necessary knowledge and skills to take it up. I'd do it myself, but I lack both knowledge and skills.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

DanHenderson wrote:

I got a message from Doc James Monday night. He was pleading with Bill to go to the emergency room, which Bill eventually did. We thought everything was under control, but suddenly I got another message saying Bill had died. So sad. Thanks, America, for providing unquestioned health coverage for those who need it. Bill didn't want to seek medical because he couldn't afford it, and now he's dead. So very sad. Such a sweet man. God speed.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

I'm not ignoring this thread; it'll take me a while to compose myself, that's all.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

Alas, I never met him personally, but Bill was kind enough to engage me at length on some Heinlein topics through Facebook private messages. His intellect and sense of humor shone through even this limited channel, and he'll be sadly missed.

I'm just happy he will have a lasting legacy through the volumes of the biography...authors with published books have a certain immortality that others cannot.

I'd like to think that he's talking to Heinlein right now and clearing up a few interesting points.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm
Centennial Attendee

Bill will be missed. I didn't know him well, but enjoyed meeting him at the Centennial and working with him slightly over the internet with THS matters. My heart goes out to family and you friends that did know him well.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 pm
Profile WWW

I am saddened to hear of Bill's death. I knew him only through his work but that is enough that I will miss him.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

I valued Bill Patterson's friendship-- though we didn't know one another well-- and was grateful for the warm encouragement he gave to my own research. In addition, he was always generous in sharing his hard-earned knowledge.

An obituary for Bill is now up at Tor.com.

Here's video and audio of a talk about Heinlein he gave at the Cato Institute in 2010.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next