View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Walking the West Coast 

Post Walking the West Coast
Next March I will be walking the West Coast from San Diego to Seattle. Details can be found at my blog on walkthataway.blogspot.com

If this doesn't prove that I'm crazy, nothing will. ;)

In any case, if anyone here would like to meet up with a half-crazed, Bitcoin-happy, Heinlein enthusiast along the way, let me know. :)

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:53 am
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Walking the West Coast
Sure! I'll stand for a meal in Santa Cruz or thereabouts.

Are you going to be making detours to see the various California Heinlein residences? I gather they're all reasonably near the coast.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

Good luck and don't kick a soccer ball in front of you as you go.

Rob

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:21 pm

DanHenderson wrote:
Sure! I'll stand for a meal in Santa Cruz or thereabouts.

Are you going to be making detours to see the various California Heinlein residences? I gather they're all reasonably near the coast.

You're on! Who am I to turn down a meal? LOL

I do want to see the Bonny Doon house at least, but I don't know that I'll be allowed. It is fairly close to my route, which stays pretty close to Routes 1 and 101 depending on the region. I don't yet know about his other residences.

As it is the route is still evolving. There are two key factors, the first being the limitation of only being able to spend bitcoin, and the second is that I need to have the entire thing wrapped up and be back in Portland before July 13th, with is my second youngest son's birthday.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:29 pm

RobWright wrote:
Good luck and don't kick a soccer ball in front of you as you go.

Rob

LOL. I'm sure it wouldn't survive. Of course, for the days of walking the remote areas I could name it Wilson and talk to it...

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:35 pm

If anyone is interested, the walk has been approved for crowdfunding at www.startjoin.com/bitcoinwalk

Also, direct bitcoin donations can be sent to 194fsmkeiriJs8Nn8BndrLKdJb1v4JSPFa

To Mods: If this post is in any way against forum rules I apologize and will gladly take it down or accept your doing so.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Centennial Attendee

StagXing wrote:
I do want to see the Bonny Doon house at least, but I don't know that I'll be allowed.

If my understanding is correct, you won't be able to get any farther than the entry gate on the road, and you can't see the house from there (well, maybe one little part of the roof). It's uphill from Highway 1, but you may still think it's worth the trek. It would be easier to get to 115 Echo Street in Santa Cruz, just a few blocks from Highway 1 off of Western Drive, which is where they lived while they were building Bonny Doon, and that's just a regular suburban neighborhood.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

StagXing wrote:
As it is the route is still evolving. There are two key factors, the first being the limitation of only being able to spend bitcoin...

How does that work? Do you have a map of vending machines in California and Oregon with slots that accept Bitcoins?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

beamjockey wrote:
How does that work? Do you have a map of vending machines in California and Oregon with slots that accept Bitcoins?

LOL. Bitcoins aren't physical, but you have the right idea.

There are several websites operating currently and a few apps in development that identify businesses and merchants that accept bitcoin. Companies like Coinbase, Bitpay, and Blockchain are currently rolling out bitcoin merchant services so by the time the walk starts there should be far more than there are presently.

I'll also be carrying literature with me about integrating bitcoin into payment systems and be able to do it for them if necessary. I don't anticipate too many problems on that front.

Now paying for camping at a State-owned park? THAT will be a challenge. ;)

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 pm

StagXing, I live in Reno. I'm not likely to be at the coast when you come through, or I'd offer to buy you dinner. But remind us when the time is closer, and maybe my husband and I can arrange to be in the San Francisco Bay area . There's a *wonderful* little Middle Eastern restaurant in downtown Sunnyvale that we like to visit when we're there. I used to live three blocks from it. It's called "DishDash", and it's one of the best restaurants in the Bay Area -- seriously. Even if we can't be there, you should try it.

I'm familar with Bitcoin, although after dabbling a bit in it in 2011 I cashed out. At the time it was the realm of currency speculators, and I needed something reliable to allow easy payments for a small business without paying Danegeld to the credit card companies. Now I wish I'd hung onto those few hundred test bitcoins. <wry grin> Once the exchange rates settle down and the market is less full of converted collectible card swapping sites masquerading as currency exchanges, I'll probably be back. :-)

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next