View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever
Bill Patterson wrote:
At any rate, I hadn't intended it to be confusing. I meant only that centrists don't typically tend to be prominent in the party organizations, which tend to be dominated by activists of either right or left(insofar as those terms have any real meaning). Electoral politics is very sensitive to party organization input, while the popular vote doesn't have any particular mechanism for taking party organization into account.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
At any rate, I hadn't intended it to be confusing. I meant only that centrists don't typically tend to be prominent in the party organizations, which tend to be dominated by activists of either right or left(insofar as those terms have any real meaning). Electoral politics is very sensitive to party organization input, while the popular vote doesn't have any particular mechanism for taking party organization into account.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

Something like that.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 am
PITA Bred

And in the politics of much of the rest of the world, the squeaky wheels get greased. Count yer blessings.

Or not...

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 am
Heinlein Nexus

Bill Patterson wrote:
(I don't see any real possibility that President Hussein will get elected).

Hey Bill, looking for a job at the Chicago Tribune?

:mrgreen:

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:19 pm
Profile WWW

Palin is not Heinleinian in any meaningful way. Heinlein was not prejudiced in most ways, but he didn't suffer fools gladly. Based on limited observation (at MidAmericon) I don't think he would have liked a vice-presidential candidate who didn't know that Africa is a continent.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:59 pm

This was when I first heard of Sarah Palin

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2008/mar/ ... n-butcher/

When she was signing a bill honoring a great hero, Susan Butcher.

Was Susan "Heinleinian?" I don't know. But she will be remembered when Sarah Palin is a former governor, living a humdrum and, I hope, happy life in the private sphere.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:24 am
Heinlein Biographer

Will in New Haven wrote:
This was when I first heard of Sarah Palin

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2008/mar/ ... n-butcher/

When she was signing a bill honoring a great hero, Susan Butcher.

Was Susan "Heinleinian?" I don't know. But she will be remembered when Sarah Palin is a former governor, living a humdrum and, I hope, happy life in the private sphere.

Yeah. What he said. I find it slightly appalling that the "revitalization of the Republican party" is supposed to hang on this ignorant, arrogant, woman and look forward to her retirement to private life.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 am
Heinlein Nexus

Bill Patterson wrote:
I find it slightly appalling that the "revitalization of the Republican party" is supposed to hang on this ignorant, arrogant, woman and look forward to her retirement to private life.

I was Republican during the Reagan years (nominallly; hadn't gotten citizenship yet). By the time I could vote, I went for Perot because I wanted the major parties to understand who was in charge. But since '96, I've been a Democrat, and after the last eight years, I can't imagine any 'revitalization' of the GOP that would induce me back. I don't watch Fox News except for the snippets they show on The Daily Show, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I align myself with any party that has that bunch of Nazis as its propaganda arm. (And I do not pick the term casually.)

This is a party that hasn't just lost its moral compass, it's burned its maps, shot the cartographer, and jammed its sextant up its anus. I can't see them finding their way home again in my lifetime.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Peter Scott wrote:
I don't watch Fox News except for the snippets they show on The Daily Show, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I align myself with any party that has that bunch of Nazis as its propaganda arm. (And I do not pick the term casually.)

Up until a few years ago I would watch Fox News in the interest of "open-mindedness," but I find that I'm a much happier man now that I've gone cold turkey and stopped watching it altogether.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
I find it slightly appalling that the "revitalization of the Republican party" is supposed to hang on this ignorant, arrogant, woman and look forward to her retirement to private life.

I was Republican during the Reagan years (nominallly; hadn't gotten citizenship yet). By the time I could vote, I went for Perot because I wanted the major parties to understand who was in charge. But since '96, I've been a Democrat, and after the last eight years, I can't imagine any 'revitalization' of the GOP that would induce me back. I don't watch Fox News except for the snippets they show on The Daily Show, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I align myself with any party that has that bunch of Nazis as its propaganda arm. (And I do not pick the term casually.)

This is a party that hasn't just lost its moral compass, it's burned its maps, shot the cartographer, and jammed its sextant up its anus. I can't see them finding their way home again in my lifetime.

I don't see any reason to believe it will happen until they turn upon the Neocons and rend them limb from limb and tread upon the gobbets of flesh.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next