View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What could have been, Starship Troopers the movie 

Post Re: What could have been, Starship Troopers the movie
PeterScott wrote:
Playing in my town August 15. I do think I may go.

I may not. Much as I appreciate the MST3K guys and what they did, and apparently are continuing, I swore a solemn oath never to let Voerhoaxer's Travesty cross my vision. I have kept that oath to date, and will be keeping it on August 15th.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:38 pm
NitroForum Oldster

jeepojiii wrote:
PeterScott wrote:
Playing in my town August 15. I do think I may go.

I may not. Much as I appreciate the MST3K guys and what they did, and apparently are continuing, I swore a solemn oath never to let Voerhoaxer's Travesty cross my vision. I have kept that oath to date, and will be keeping it on August 15th.

Good. Once you see it, you can't un-see it. ;)

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

OTOH, OJ, there's a story about a famous 1940s author whose books were all made into movies. A visitor told him, "Oh, Mr. Soandso, they've just ruined your novels!" He pointed to the bookshelf behind him and said, "No, they're all just fine."

All things considered, I wouldn't "un-see" ST if I were given the option. It didn't change my understanding or appreciation of the book a bit, since they barely intersect anyway.

Yeah, it's awful. But it's worth seeing for very minor entertainment reasons, some pleasantly bare skin and general "context" about why some novels should be kept from screenwriters' hands, even those with the best of intentions.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:46 am

JamesGifford wrote:
OTOH, OJ, there's a story about a famous 1940s author whose books were all made into movies. A visitor told him, "Oh, Mr. Soandso, they've just ruined your novels!" He pointed to the bookshelf behind him and said, "No, they're all just fine."

I associated this quote with Stephen King, probably from the intro to one of his novels. But a little Googling shows that Allen Ginsberg and Larry Niven have said more or less the same thing, and that James M. Cain may have said it first. In fact, Stephen King even quotes Cain saying it in an interview. And he says here that the Cain statement was made in a college newspaper.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:09 am
PITA Bred

Cain sounds about right in every respect.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 am
Heinlein Nexus

I will not be able to make it. Is there any info on when it will be available for download/purchase?

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile WWW

Re: the James Cain quote.

This is the final post in a long thread discussing it. I was able to put the words in Cain's mouth as far back as 1969 in the New York Times, but I suspect that it could be found earlier (just not by me).

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:14 pm
Centennial Attendee

PeterScott wrote:
I will not be able to make it. Is there any info on when it will be available for download/purchase?

I don't see any evidence of future download or purchase opportunities, but they said it would be back in theaters for an encore performance September 12. Here's a review. I was there last night and was disappointed that it wasn't as funny, intelligent, and creative as I remember MST3K often being, and I also had difficulty hearing the guys' comments over the loud movie soundtrack. There were three or four times that the local audience in the theater they were in laughed uproariously at a line I missed. I was pining for my TiVo remote so I could rewind.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Yeah, I was a huge fan of MST3K in its heyday ("Hands of Manos" etc) and when I caught one of the reboots online a year or two ago I was disappointed at how they'd... aged.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2