View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Leslyn in 1930 

Post Re: Leslyn in 1930
Okay, I'll stay.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 am
PITA Bred

We all make typos - or typoes, or tighpoes, or what have you. It's hard to resist poking at one that makes silly sense in context. No diss intended.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:55 pm

JamesGifford wrote:
No diss intended.

And none taken, from either you or Dan.

I couldn't go anywhere else -- who would put up with me?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm
Centennial Attendee

BillMullins wrote:
Ya'll need to quit pickin' on me, or I'ma gonna post this stuff on AFH instead of here.

Please not "instead of"! "In addition to", maybe, but in the absence of the aborted wiki, this Forum is the right place to store these kinds of details.

I very much enjoy reading what you come up with.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 am
Profile WWW

I'm not going anywhere. That was just banter that would have come across much better in person, verbally. They caught me out on two mis-transcriptions (TWO!!) which, in a more just world, would have slid by unnoticed.

Next time, I'll send stuff to Jim and Dan in advance to proofread, and then post it here.

(NOTE: not really, more banter . . . )

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

BillMullins wrote:
I'm not going anywhere. That was just banter that would have come across much better in person, verbally. They caught me out on two mis-transcriptions (TWO!!) which, in a more just world, would have slid by unnoticed.

Next time, I'll send stuff to Jim and Dan in advance to proofread, and then post it here.

(NOTE: not really, more banter . . . )

[May the ghods forgive me for the pun I'm about to commit.]

So you are the dreaded bantersnatch the folks in TNotB were worried about.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:02 pm

From a recent Reddit thread on "intellectual" jokes:

It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:46 pm
Centennial Attendee

I loved that thread! Also the one that was touted as Isaac Asimov's favorite pun, about the wealthy rancher who gave his sons a ranch of their own and they came to him for advice on what to name it. He suggested Focal Point, because that's where the sun's rays meet.

Think about it.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am
Profile YIM WWW

From the Santa Ana (CA) Register, May 14 1935 p 9

SPEAKER TELLS OF SENATE AND ASSEMBLY BILLS

LAGUNA BEACH, May 14 – "Fascist Bills in Sacramento" was the subject of an address delivered recently at the Park avenue school building by Mrs. R. A. Heinlein, of Los Angeles, formerly a resident of Laguna. The address was given under the auspices of the Laguna Beach Epic club, William R. Tattersfield, club president, presiding. The speaker was introduced by James T. Garvin, chairman of the program committee.

Mrs. Heinlein enumerated a number of Senate and Assembly bills which, she said, may be employed in muzzling discussion of political questions or public issues. She invited particular attention to what she termed the Anti-Pacifist bill and to a measure under which any school board may deny the use of school buildings for the public discussion of "highly controversial" issues. The speaker also mentioned a bill under which libel suits are taken out of the hands of juries, the judge being the sole arbiter of facts and law in the premises.

Mrs. Heinlein urged that all public spirited citizens, regardless of political affiliations, make it a personal matter to investigate and acquaint themselves with these proposed measures, and then communicate their views to the state senators and assemblymen representing their respective districts.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6