View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Prophets of Science Fiction 

Post Re: Prophets of Science Fiction
I saw the 2001 movie in 1983--went down that psychedelic flashing light tunnel scene and when I woke up it was December 31, 1999. I don't know how they did that but I need the kind of help Dan Davis got in Door Into Summer.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Blackhawk wrote:
2010 is a decent but not outstanding space movie. I know 2001 is considered a masterpiece by many but it has not held up well for me. I was very impressed with it when I saw it in 1968 but after repeated viewings over the years, I have grown tired of the pretentious symbolism and the tedious story telling. I still admire the design and the ground-breaking VFX, and there are some scenes that really are classic, but the movie as a whole is not as satisfying. Kubrick should have had Heinlein do a script rewrite.

Interesting concept but Heinlein and Clarke are like oil and vinegar. To have a three million-year flash forward of life evolving from primordial sludge interrupted by bacchanalian orgies would just be wrong.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 pm
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
Interesting concept but Heinlein and Clarke are like oil and vinegar. To have a three million-year flash forward of life evolving from primordial sludge interrupted by bacchanalian orgies would just be wrong.

You're right, of course. Still, though Clarke was good for the big ideas, nobody tells a story like Heinlein. 2001 sure could have used some of that story telling ability. I wonder if the real oil and vinegar mix wouldn't have been Heinlein and Kubrick.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

I finally got to see several episodes of this series this weekend and I was
very disappointed. The only high point was the brief clip of RAH talking
to Cronkite. :cry:

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:47 am
PITA Bred

POS(F) was an immense disappointment, but then, the 'history' and 'science' and 'sf' channels have all bombed out big time when it comes to delivering what they originally promised. 90% or more of their programming is glorified by calling it drivel.

Let's start with the feyly renamed SyFy, which, from what I see from a distance, appears to a be a spindle for an endless number of ghost-hunter shows.

Everything else has fallen for endless iterations of these formulaic 'history' shows which are comprised of a slightly silly take on a person or topic and filled out with equal parts cheezeball 'reenactment' and bottom-scraping talking-head time. In the end, we've seen 22 minutes or so of moving images and about three paragraphs of content. And it's EVERYWHERE.

I just would have expected more from Ridley Scott. Guess nott.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:29 am
Heinlein Nexus

I just saw the show after it was posted online here. I think it was about as sensitive a portrayal as one could expect on television, with some less well-known events and photographs portrayed, and a decent budget. Several of the nonfiction excursions were a bit too lengthy and tangential, being rather opportunistic. Nice to see Bill and Robert doing their thing.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 am
Profile WWW

This 'series' [it only lasted for a half-dozen or so weeks when first aired] has gone into sci channel's 9 am - 3 pm block of 'old series' rotations. Given that Ridley Scott was involved, all of the shows relied heavily on film clips from movies made of the subject author's works. So, while I did appreciate the chance to see Bill and Robert expounding on RAH, the meat of the the Ridley Scott's concept failed because I never found any of the movies made from any of the Prophets of Science Fiction works to be satisfactory renditions and hate to be reminded of that fact anytime I stumble into one of the PoSF repeats. Sigh.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Also on Netflix instant watch. POSF runs about 45 mins, which is about two miles on the treadmill if I'm watching it on a tablet and briskly walking. (a 30 min Twilight Zone is actually about 22 mins, or a mile or so).

They also have Amazing Stories, which I will check out and see if it is as good as I remember it being.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6