View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Sherlock Holmes 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Sherlock Holmes
PeterScott wrote:
Haven't seen either. Which one should I look for?

The British production with Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson is two three-episode seasons and should be widely available - I know you're a library fiend, try there; also on Netflix streaming. Highly recommended but I know we have divergent tastes in these things. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant re-imagining and the showrunners have a genuine love for the original material.

Example: in the first episode, Watson and Stamford are drinking coffee from Criterion. You can just see the name and logo on the cups.

Later, Holmes is thinking; it's a three (nicotine) patch problem.

Holmes is a prolific sender of te[legram]xts.

Etc. So forth. Ad jubilatim.

I haven't seen the US series, so no comment.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:13 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Hold for Season One placed.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

I agree that the British Sherlock is extremely well-done. My wife raved about it so much that I started watching it with her at the end of the first series. It's done by Steven Moffat who also does the current Doctor Who.

I haven't seen the CBS show (I think it's called Elementary). It sounded like a big "fail" out of the box but I believe it's getting decent reviews and ratings.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:08 am
Profile WWW

I like the BBC's Sherlock. It is a very well done transfer of Holmes and Watson into modern time. I think stylistically, it is nearly perfect. The actual stories, especially the mysteries, have not been quite as clever. I was especially put off by the portrayal of Moriarity. Apparently, the third season has been delayed until 2014. Cumberbatch and Freeman have become big stars since the the first season aired and are in demand.

I have been watching Elementary and think it is also quite good, but very different from Sherlock. It does a good job of capturing the essence of Holmes and, to a lesser extent, Watson but otherwise is a very modern interpretation. It is very professionally executed and the actor playing Holmes (whose name escapes me) is exceptional. I certainly think it is worth any Holmes fan's time to check it out.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

I just viewed the first episode of Sherlock, and, um, wow. Brilliant. I'd eschewed it previously because the promotional pictures just looked... dull, and Holmes looked like a kid. And when it started I thought, "Modern-day update... that never turns out well." But man, was I wrong. That was exquisite, even down to how it somehow imbued modern London settings with a Victorian feel (cobblestones visible in one scene).

Robert Downey Jr. is one of my favorite actors but the vehicle he was given was like being handed a broken plastic toy fiddle compared to the Stradivarius in this show. Even the bullet time effect was used for explicating deductions instead of combat. Now that's how it's done.

Mon May 20, 2013 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Just finished season one. Only three episodes per season??? Lovely stuff. A show that doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence. Unsurprisingly, not American. Season two on order.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
Just finished season one. Only three episodes per season??? Lovely stuff. A show that doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence. Unsurprisingly, not American. Season two on order.

Glad you're enjoying it. There are just so many well-done points - as I've said, the more so the more you know the canon - that it's a pleasure to watch several times. You will miss things.

Second season, you'll be pleased to know, picks up on the beat and slams things around a corner.

Fri May 24, 2013 5:19 am
Heinlein Nexus

It was a little painful watching Cumberbatch in Star Trek after seeing him in this. I know it was a more nuanced character than someone as one-dimensional as, say, General Zod in Superman II, but still... it's like the director was continually barking out, "Okay, now look threatening... that's perfect, don't move... okay, now a sneer..."

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
It was a little painful watching Cumberbatch in Star Trek after seeing him in this. I know it was a more nuanced character than someone as one-dimensional as, say, General Zod in Superman II, but still... it's like the director was continually barking out, "Okay, now look threatening... that's perfect, don't move... okay, now a sneer..."

Again, I saw someone say that the entire role consisted of alternating between radiating menace as inertly as possible, and super-speed, superhuman combat skilz, and nothing else. I'm not sure that counts as nuance.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 am
Heinlein Nexus

JamesGifford wrote:
Again, I saw someone say that the entire role consisted of alternating between radiating menace as inertly as possible, and super-speed, superhuman combat skilz, and nothing else. I'm not sure that counts as nuance.

Very good way of putting it. I was speaking in relative terms though.. Terrance Stamp had even less to do.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3