View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
Heinlein on Facebook -- The Heinlein Society facebook page 

Post Heinlein on Facebook -- The Heinlein Society facebook page
As I agreed I will share the stuff I post on Facebook. I need to caution you, the stuff I post on Facebook will be boring, juvenile, old, repetitive, etc. I watch the statistics to learn what material the readers like and I post stuff I know will draw the most views. Just now they seem to like Heinlein's sayings. This is my last post.

Look, friends, the only possible way to enjoy life is not to be afraid to die. A zest for living requires a willingness to die; you cannot have the first without the second. The '60s and '70s and '80s and '90s can be loaded with the zest for living, high excitement, and gutsy adventure for any truly human person. Truly human? I mean you descendants of cavemen who outlasted the saber-tooth, you who sprang from the loins of the Vikings, you whose ancestors fought the Crusades and were numbered the Golden Horde. Death is the lot of all of us and the only way the human race has ever conquered death is by treating it with contempt. By living every golden minute as if one had all eternity.

Guest of Honor Speech at the XIXth World Science Fiction Convention, Seattle, 1961.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 am

Post Re: Heinlein on Facebook -- The Heinlein Society facebook pa
thinker wrote:
As I agreed I will share the stuff I post on Facebook. I need to caution you, the stuff I post on Facebook will be boring, juvenile, old, repetitive, etc.

That's why I don't pay much attention to Facebook.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

DavidWrightSr wrote:
That's why I don't pay much attention to Facebook.

It may also be that we have an attention span longer than 10 seconds and can write whole sentences longer than 140 characters.

Twitter, Facebook and all their kitties are just fine for the social whirl, but I can't strongly enough decry the movement of what should be serious, connected discussion to the internet equivalent of a rave.

There are very few subjects on which I care what someone breezing among their "friends" cares to drop in a line or two, especially when those lines will be flushed out and buried by successive driblets long before I see them, unless I spend every gape-jawed moment "following" the crowd.

Fine. I'm a dinosaur. But my brain still hasn't shrunken to micro-communication levels.

thinker wrote:
I watch the statistics to learn what material the readers like and I post stuff I know will draw the most views. Just now they seem to like Heinlein's sayings.

But only the shorter ones, I assume.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 am

Like it or not, it is what it is. I try to do the best I can with what I have to work with. My goal is to attract new people to Heinlein and to give them new things to learn. Facebook users are not at the level of the folks on the Forum. Probably never will be either. By increasing the audience maybe I'll snag some new readers from time to time. If you guys have ideas for posts on THS Facebook page please let me know. Or you can go do your own posts. Later.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:13 pm
PITA Bred

I by no means mean to discourage you.

I'll note only that no matter how revolutionary the new tool, platform or venue, and no matter how exhausting the effort put into cranking it, the pool of Heinlein aficionados never really seems to get any bigger. For all those who get briefly captured, it's the same ten dozen people, year in and year out, with about as many new stayers as old leavers.

FB is in some ways a bigger net, but catching fifty thousand people who make one comment about reading Stranger back in high school and then move on isn't really a gain over catching five thousand or five hundred or fifty using lesser tech.

But I only spent about 25 out of the last 30 years trying, so what do I know...

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 pm

But, people who did read Stranger in high school should have a place to talk about it with each other.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

This I posted on Jan. 24.

Last week I posted an accounting of the 2007 Heinlein Centennial Celebration In Kansas City. As a result Bill Patterson offered a new article about the Centennial from The Heinlein Journal. I hope you enjoy reading it and thanks to Bill for sharing.
The Robert A Heinlein Centennial | The Heinlein Society
Link=[http://www.heinleinsociety.org/thsnexus/posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=1398]
The Centennial celebration of Robert A Heinlein’s birth took place in Kansas City over the period from Thursday July 5 to Sunday July 8, 2007.

This is an article that will appear in the next Journal.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:05 am
PITA Bred

BillMullins wrote:
But, people who did read Stranger in high school should have a place to talk about it with each other.

I'm having trouble determining the snark level here. :) If it's high, kudos; if it's low...

...what's the point of maintaining a 'Hollywood and Vine' that netizens essentially visit once in their lives, say the one or two things they have to say (usually "I read Stranger/Troopers/something back in high school" or "Wow, I really used to like Heinlein's stuff" or something else mondo trite) and then leave behind, never to be heard from again?

It would be nice if any of these breezy passers-by stayed for more convo, but in my experience it's 1 in a 1000. I get thinker's comment about this forum being "too much" for novices, but I don't see FB chatter as being very inviting to anyone looking for more than that "Hey, you too?" sort of twitfeed; having said that e-social greeting, there's nowhere much to go with it.

I don't know the answer. I really did spend a vast amount of time over a very long period trying to attract the supposed online Heinlein world, and neither I nor anyone else has ever succeeded. THS remains bogged down in membership numbers after a decade (granted, there were a few dark years in there). My considered conclusion is that Heinlein just doesn't have as many fans as we'd like to believe; there might be 100 million people who have read a book by him, but as you go up the ladder of having read more than one book, having actively tried to read a number of his books, and into having read most of his books and wanting to be chummy with others who have... well, folks, we're it.

I don't mean to catcall attempts to find more of us, but it's sifting for those gold atoms we all know float in seawater, and I've scraped my share of fish poop out of the nets. The window for making great strides in Heinlein collectivism was maybe 2000-2007... and we missed it.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:10 am

Jim, you're correct. I get very few responses and/or discussions from my posts. The visitors that click LIKE on my posts are usually the same ones. Many others come and go. Some stay a short while. However, the number of people 'seeing the posts' and 'liking the page' keep going up. I'm going to keep after it, but I think after a short while the numbers are going to start going down as I run out of new material to give them. Cheers..

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 am
PITA Bred

Don't give up. But keep your expectations reasonable.

It should be the goal of THS to reach every single person with a sustained level of interest in Heinlein, and I don't think the efforts are exhausted yet. It can be frustrating to find those 1:100000's and then keep them engaged, but the goal is worthy.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next