View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
Be happy Dan - you got one.

Not sure of the contractual agreements made to get the VE into existence, (forgive my scanty command of details, but) I was under the impression that RAH's legacy was controlled by a multiplicity of publishers (all no doubt interested only in the dough they can make from it) and the VE was a one-off.

Now the $ have been spent, the Limited Number of VEs exist, and it should be an ever-appreciating commodity as the number of availables can only decrease.

I've always thought the man's work and the changes it wrought in my mindset were a gift of Great Value; to such an extent I recommend to many a would-be raconteur: "Read Heinlein".

I've enjoyed many a passionate exchange about values, liberties, attitudes to Big Questions, and answers to same, with many and varied a partner-in-conversation and am regularly complimented for rational, frank and just-damned-sensible attitudes. Thank you RAH. I may have run with the ball, but you passed it to me and you taught me some of my most basic and dearly-held principles.

A VE on your shelves will either become an heirloom or a target for book-burners, maybe both. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd buy another 1500 sets. I'd bequeath them to schools and Universities, dole them out to institutions that nurture the creative human fire of their charges, and gift them to places where people can read them, over and over. Try and make sure they get to where they do as much good as possible.

IMHO Whatever you paid, if you've got one, you're already lucky.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:57 am

Occasionally I check eBay on a whim, to see whether anyone has listed a Virginia Edition for sale. Just now I came across an active auction for "Robert Heinlein Virginia Edition, Leatherbound complete set" with one bid so far, $850, which matched the starting bid (shipping extra). There's a photo.

With respect to Dominic's post: It's unclear how many sets currently exist; the VE Publishing Co. may or may not have printed all 2000 copies of each volume. They may have printed, for example, only 500, as Meisha Merlin did during the first attempt to produce the VE in 2005-07 (which lasted six volumes); that set was to have been limited to 5000 copies. If 2000 sets of 46 volumes each were indeed printed and bound, that's an awful lot of books in storage somewhere if ~1700 sets remain (see upthread).

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:49 am

That eBay listing has disappeared, which I assume to mean that the auction was withdrawn rather than concluding. Perhaps the bidder who met the $850 starting bid was simply the seller under another name (or someone analogous) who bid merely to start the ball rolling, which failed to happen. Just a guess, of course.

I do wonder how long the X number of printed but unsold 46-volume sets will sit in storage before an attempt is made to sell them at a lower price - or donate them to libraries for a tax benefit.

Moreover, the Heinlein Prize Trust presumably had planned to use profits from sales of the sets to help fund the Prize itself, which is very large ($500K) and has only been awarded twice (2006 and 2011). What will make up for the missing huge chunk of the $3 million in sales that would have been generated if all 2000 planned sets had been printed and sold?

I know, not my problem... but as a case study it's fascinating despite (or because of?) the gaps in knowledge of how it all went down.

(Note: a few posts on this thread in August had indicated a price increase, but it's still given as $1500 at the VE site.)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm

My mistake - checking from my home computer shows that the auction ended earlier today and there was a second, winning, bid for $860. Plus shipping, of course.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Evidently (as of current listings) the VE Publishing Co. is itself selling and auctioning VE sets on eBay. Interesting.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 pm
PITA Bred

JJGarsch wrote:
Evidently (as of current listings) the VE Publishing Co. is itself selling and auctioning VE sets on eBay. Interesting.

You're implying that the left hand knows not what the right one is doing, or that the sales strategy is being undercut by selling on eBay, or some other completely confusing, contradictory, self-cancelling action. You might want to rethink that; this is the VE we're talking about, after all!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm

No implication, just reporting. Response to an inquiry at the auction page was as follows:

"As you guessed I work for the Virginia Edition publishing company. I was authorized by my boss to sell a few sets on eBay at a $100 discount on auction or Buy It Now at regular price. I offer the same guarantee, return policy, etc. that the regular website offers. So if you bid on the auction listing you may save $100 off the regular price with free shipping. Thanks!"

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 pm
PITA Bred

You must not have noticed my tongue firmly wedged in cheek. :)

I've used eBay as a loss-leader/advertising source, too - it's a good way to promote things like books. But isn't that $860 a pretty fair ways from '$100 off'?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

The earlier auction ($860) was from someone in Vancouver, WA. The current offerings are from an address in League City, TX (suburb of Houston).

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:59 pm
Centennial Attendee

Speaking of marketing strategies, I just got this email:

Quote:
To: Robert Lazaro <lazaror1996@msn.com>
Cc: ergignac@gmail.com
Sent: Mon, December 10, 2012 12:34:10 PM
Subject: Heinlein: Virginia Edition referrals

Dear Virginia Edition Customer,

Thank you once again for your purchase of the Virginia Edition. As a valued customer we would like to share with you our new referral program. Beginning December 10, 2012, we will offer a $100 referral fee for every new complete purchase of the book set that was referred by one of our existing customers. To claim your $100 for the referral the purchasers need only to select “Referred by” and type your first and last name in the How did you hear about the Virginia Edition section if purchasing online (see example attached) or give your name to the operator if ordering by phone.

We will mail you your $100 referral check 30 days after the completed purchase. This offer only applies to new orders completed after December 10, 2012 and cannot be used for previously completed purchases. Please help us spread the word about this special collection from one of the greatest authors of all time. Ad astra!

P.S. If you have not seen the free companion eBook, The Virginia Edition: A Sample of the Series, please visit the link below to download and share it with others: http://www.virginiaedition.com/ve/TheVi ... sample.pdf. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Robert Lazaro
Sales Director
Virginia Edition Publishing
Phone: 713-861-3600
lazaror1996@msn.com
www.virginiaedition.com

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next