View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Little Lost Hurricane 

Post Re: Little Lost Hurricane
I am sorry if my quip lost you any sleep...Jimmo. Sincerely didn't mean it that way. I just hope that the track tracks east and it's all academic. Personally, I'd be for some kind of compensatory voting time if the worst happens. The courts have often ordered polling places open extra hours when there are problems. Hopefully they would do the same, but I suppose it's state-by-state.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 am
Heinlein Nexus

What's the latest, Jim? I had no idea this storm was going to be this big but I just saw pictures of flooding in NYC and am shocked.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 am
Profile WWW

Peter, my girlfriend is with family on Staten Island. Their house was ok even though they were in Zone A for evacuations, her mom had picked out a place on a hill that is about 20 ft above the surrounding area. They have no power, a tree came down and banged up the trunk of the car a little bit. Wind was bigger problem for their neighborhood more than anything,but as we can see from various pictures and videos, the region is dealing with some pretty extensive devestation.

Just got a text saying Staten Island could be without power for up to a week.

Rob

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:28 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Wow, Rob. I hope everyone's okay with no property damage. A few days without power is usually not a big deal, but I know there's a lot of damage behind that power outage.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

No broken windows or other trees crashing into the house, no damage to the roof. They have the bathtubs filled with water for flushing, etc. No generator but they have various candles and flashlights. Now for them, it is just the wait as the area starts to recover.

Rob

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 pm
PITA Bred

Nothing much to report from inland Connecticut. We lost power about noon on Saturday, got it back Wednesday afternoon - about par. Other than mild wind damage, trees down, power lines down with them, we weren't hit that hard.

Having a generator makes life comfortable(-er) in such circumstances, but unfortunately the house network won't run on it. It is theoretically clean power but the systems won't run directly and the UPSes freak out. As each storm comes along we get better equipped to ride it out without living like campers; the last (next) step is to build a quality inverter-based power system for the servers and my office so that I can keep working instead of sitting around watching the wind blow.

In any case, the impact here was about a 1. It looks dreadful along the LI shoreline, in NYC and especially in poor Joisey. Kudos to Christie for being unpolitically gracious about Obama's attention to the disaster.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 am
Heinlein Nexus

Had a similar situation on our generator until I ran a hair dryer on it as well. It may need extra load to avoid oversupplying the UPSes. I don't know the EE side of this, but it might be worth trying.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:36 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
Had a similar situation on our generator until I ran a hair dryer on it as well. It may need extra load to avoid oversupplying the UPSes. I don't know the EE side of this, but it might be worth trying.

No, this is a Generac site generator - in theory it produces clean enough power for all electronics. The TV and video gear has no problem with it. There is also 1-2k of other load on it most of the time. Unfortunately, the high-power switching supplies in the PCs need more stable output. Our system is about 10 years old and while it only has limited runtime (never, before we moved in, according to neighbors) it's another factor in upgrading to a newer unit with whole-house capacity.

I will build a two-stage power system for the servers and my workstation, with manual pass-through control. That will replace some expensive and aging UPSes for normal operations and allow AC->battery->pure sine inverter operation when on the generator.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am

The girlfriends family just had power restored today on Staten Island.

Rob

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2