View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Chicon 7: The 70th Worldcon 
Centennial Attendee

Post Chicon 7: The 70th Worldcon
Are you planning to attend the Worldcon in Chicago over Labor Day weekend?

Any interesting events planned?

The program is not settled, but I have told the concom I will give a talk about a SETI conference I attended in Green Bank, West Virginia. I imagine I'll wind up on some science and space panels.

I have one friend who, while the rest of us are talking about SF and fantasy in the Hyatt, will be spending most of her time at the Chicago Jazz Festival a couple of blocks away.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Chicon 7: The 70th Worldcon
Won't be there, unfortunately. If I were, I'd split the difference with the jazz festival, probably. ;) But it would be nice to hear your panel/talk.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

My Chicon schedule, though nominally subject to change, has been posted here.

One Heinlein-related item: I'll be giving a talk on Friday, 31 August, at 9 PM.

Quote:
Heinlein`s Ambassador to the Atom: Robert A. Cornog, Physicist

Robert Cornog (1912-1998), an engineer and physicist, was a close friend of Robert A. Heinlein before Heinlein's literary career began. Cornog, as a cyclotron experimenter, Manhattan Project participant, and rocket engineer, gave Heinlein a window on advanced research, and sometimes served as Heinlein's sounding board for the science that went into his fiction. Their correspondence across decades reveals a shared delight in technology, a passion for science fiction, and an urgent concern to curb the threat of a nuclear arms race.

Warning: the pocket program says this occurs on Sunday morning; that information is outdated.

In addition, there is a Kaffeeklatsch with me at 1:30 PM Friday-- just a conversation between me and however many people care to come meet with me. There may or may not be actual coffee. I checked the Kaffeeklatsch box on the questionnaire, an action which, in retrospect, seems presumptuous. But they gave me one.

My other Worldcon events:

Ozma Plus 50: My Week Among the Searchers for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
Curiosity: The Mars Science Laboratory
(with Guy Consolmagno of the Vatican Observatory)
Inner Space vs. Outer Space
(one of the other three panelists will be Tad Daley, who made the "Heinlein and the Bomb" panel so exciting at the Centennial back in 2007)

Should be fun.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

I wish I could be there. How much of Worldcons are now being videoed for the web?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

PeterScott wrote:
I wish I could be there. How much of Worldcons are now being videoed for the web?

To the best of my knowledge, very little.

The Hugo ceremony on 2 September will be streamed, and there will be a teletype feed of commentary as well. Don't know whether the recordings will be available for later viewing.

Chicon will have a hookup to do a few co-panels with Dragoncon in Atlanta, each con contributing half the panelists. I can find no indication that these video feeds will be available to the public.

One can sift Youtube and podcast sources to find a considerable number of recorded convention panels. Heck, I have a DVD of my own "The Science of 2010 (The Movie, not the Year)" that I should probably put online somehow. But Worldcons are not quite geared up to do this as a regular thing. Yet.

Might be good to lobby San Antonio and London, or even volunteer to help with such a project, if you can.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]