View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Online texts 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Online texts
Kemp's value to the world is that he makes Panshin look rational.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:52 pm

BillMullins wrote:
"Science Fiction: Its Nature, Faults and Virtues" HERE

and HERE

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am

Thank you for the link to the Heinlein talk. I have been looking for it for many years but never found a link or a place to buy a copy. When this article was published, I was a pilot in the AF and two years away from being ask if I was interested in a temporary assighment. I said yes before asking what the job was. I had completed my 5 year tour in the AF and was writing pilot's handbooks for McDonnell Aircraft. As a result, I was loaned to the Project Mercury to write the first Astronauts Handook I doubt if Heinlein was aware how close we were to the first space flight.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm
Centennial Attendee

ChuckA wrote:
...I was loaned to the Project Mercury to write the first Astronauts Handook...

Is there any way I can get a copy? I have a copy of the Mercury Capsule Pilot's Operating Handbook.

One of my flight instructors was Scott Grissom, younger son of Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you had met them.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Is there any way I can get a copy? I have a copy of the Mercury Capsule Pilot's Operating Handbook.

One of my flight instructors was Scott Grissom, younger son of Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you had met them.

Sorry but my copy is in safe storage elsewhere. My copy is the proof copy I used to approve the manual for production. It was delivered with the capsule procedures trainer in June 1960. It is autographed by Alan Shepard and one of my most valuable possessions. I have seen a copy for sale on the internet. The manual is SEDR 109 Capsule Flight Operations Manual and I have seen the text of the manual for one of the later Mercury flights and there was little change from tne first version. A last minute change made by NASA was to change the title from Austronaut's Handbook to Capsule Flight Operations Manual because it was intended to be used as a training manual for everybody, not just the astronauts. Didn't make sense to me but I did what NASA ask.

I met all the Mercury Astronauts while working at McDonnell Aircraft but I left to go back to college after finishing the capsule and procedures trainer manuals so never met any of the later astronauts even though I later ran wind tunnel tests associated with Gemini, Apollo, and the Space Shuttle. I often wonder what would happened if I had gone to the cape with the Mercury capsule instead of becoming a wind tunnel test engineer.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 am
Centennial Attendee

Thanks anyway, Chuck.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

Is this the document you are talking about? Or this? Or maybe this?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:04 pm
Heinlein Nexus

What a joy. I keep expecting it to begin, "Congratulations on your purchase of a Mercury brand space capsule. Please take a minute to fill out and mail the warranty registration card attached to this manual."

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm
Profile WWW

BillMullins wrote:

These are the manals I was talking about. I wrote the manual for Capsules 18 and 19 for delivery with the Procedures Trainer in June 1960. I then rewrote the manual for the Redstone suborbital mission before returning to college in September 1960. The intent was to update the manual for each capsule. I was surprised to see how minor the changes were for the Capsule 7 manual.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 pm
Centennial Attendee

BillMullins wrote:

Thank you, Bill!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next