View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
JFK: Killed by the Japanese 

Post Re: JFK: Killed by the Japanese
Interesting take on JFK. I actually remember the assassination, although I was under three years old at the time. Nov. 22 was my father's birthday, and we lived in Arlington, a suburb of Dallas. My parents were planning to go to dinner and stay overnight in Dallas. That meant my grandmother Mama (whom I loved) was coming over and spending the night with me and my baby sister, just three weeks old at the time. Mama came over, but my parents didn't go anywhere. I remember my mother's face, white and scared and sad. (And as I found out later, my mother was no fan of JFK or the Kennedys politically -- it didn't matter.)

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 am
Profile WWW

How many remember watching Ruby shoot Oswald on TV?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:38 pm

If you were watching network TV when Oswall was shot, then you had to see the killing. There was nothing else on ABC, NBC, or CBS. I happened to interrupt reading my book long enough to see the killing.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:52 pm

I was on leave from the Army and visiting my old fraternity at college. We were sitting around the fire talking and watching TV when it happened. We were absolutely astounded.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

i was a 9 year old school boy playing at school recess when i heard- as you heard the news you kinda just quit playing- i recall a blanket of profound sadness falling over our schoolyard - JFK was still an unsullied hero to us........

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 pm
NitroForum Oldster

as for oswalt's death, well i recall thinking we were all cheated out of a lot of answers- the warren commission report provided too few. ruby was no hero- he robbed america of closure

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:44 pm
PITA Bred

NickDoten wrote:
...we were all cheated out of a lot of answers- the warren commission report provided too few.

Sounds like you're quoting conspiracy-theory tropes instead of fact, Nick.

The Warren Commission report is ca. 22 volumes long and contains every single answer you're likely to want. (The summary volume is more than 400 pages.) It's been trashed and misrepresented for 50 years by people who likely have not read it, may never have even seen a copy (there aren't many, of the complete set) and even more likely have no clue as to the comprehensiveness of the investigation.

In one sentence, the idea that the Warren Commission did a hasty, shallow job intended to cover something up belongs on the same shelf as the moon being made of green cheese.

The only real remaining question is Oswald's motivation, which remains an enigma. A case has been made that he was actually targeting Connelly, who had indirectly caused Oswald some personal fouls, and that JFK was merely a target of opportunity - which is a good explanation of why Oswald didn't seem to have any particular animus towards Kennedy.

None of the significant findings of the Warren Commission have ever been successfully challenged, and some of the most esoteric aspects were conclusively proven at the time. It's only two generations of conspiracy nuts looking to grind an axe or make a buck that have obscured this. The problem is that nearly everyone has seen, heard or read a detailed conspiracy theory, and almost no one is familiar with the actual WC findings. Proof positive that the Big Lie works - just keep shouting it from the rooftops (or the occasional third-story window) and it must be true.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 am
NitroForum Oldster

while i never read the full 22 volume warren commission report, i did closely read the 400 page version- maybe some of the answers i didn't find were included in the full investigation. i'll preface this with the fact i'm not much of a conspiracy theory advocate- i'll also add that i don't trust pat answers either- like many others, i guess i was left wondering who lee harvey oswald really was and what his true reasons were for assassinating JFK- i think much of america who experienced this tragedy wonders the same- call it my distrust of big government in general- the lies it has told the american public have proven to be epic- call me a skeptic of government and the info it is willing to share

was the mob involved? joe senior's connections to crime are proven- he was a bootlegger during prohibition- would JFK had been introduced to these powerful friends by his dad ? was oswalt a russian assassin ? or just a small man looking to make a big splash before he left this planet? or did LBJ remove the roadblock to his own presidency? the questions go on and on- yeah perhaps oliver stone's movie "JFK" threw red herrings america's way in the name of selling a movie

sometimes the answer we seek is the obvious one- sometimes not- do i have any personal theories? not really - i do know fact sometimes can be much stranger than fiction - in this case i doubt any of us will ever truly know the full answer as to why oswalt pulled the trigger- i'll keep on questioning - it's tough to divine answers though when the facts can closely resemble contrived bullshit

maybe i'm the product of my era, maybe i'm just a skeptic, but there's just too many shadowy areas which reek of bs to me. and yeah that 9 year old who's hero was slain is still wondering "why?" 50 years later

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:44 am
PITA Bred

The answer, Nick, is that JFK was killed by a disaffected loner who probably had no real reason to do it.

All of the contrary thinking begins with the refusal to accept that self-evident, adequately proven truth, and continues because the observer can't come to terms with the fact that tremendous, literally world-shaking consequences can come from miniscule sources. And many times in history, have.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:57 pm
NitroForum Oldster

jim i can agree the preponderance of evidence points to oswald as the classic disaffected loner with nothing left to lose. 99% of me can accept and live with that. It's that 1% of me which compels me to consider there may be more to this. sorry, after all these years, i still detect the faint odor of bs emanating from the whole thing. <checks the bottom of my shoes> ;) i'll remain a skeptic

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next