View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
Sorry, James; "economies of scale involved in the people actually working on it" was my euphemism for clusterfuck. I guess I shoulda used Chinese fire drill, another favorite from my long past Jarhead days. Sigh.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07 am
PITA Bred

Gotcha. I only speak Jarhead when I have my translator set to Mauldin. :D

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 am

JamesGifford wrote:
It is possible that the sets are being sold and shipped in other than strict numeric order, but... you are probably right.

I rather think so, if only because each volume in a given set is numbered by hand.
(Numbers are written in the designated space, i.e., "copy ___ of 2000"; for what it's worth, mine are numbered 128. I wonder who gets to write the numbers in?)

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:34 pm

JJGarsch wrote:
I just now noticed in a different forum, in the "introduce yourself" thread, someone who has purchased the entire VE and writes as follows:

"I was lucky not to have to wait seven years. I ordered on the spot and VE #285 was on my bookshelf on June 10th."

So that would seem to be the total number of subscriptions (or now, complete sets) of the VE sold since 2005 when the Meisha Merlin phase of the effort began: Two hundred eighty-five.

Yep, that was me. It surprised me too. A limited edition of 2000, and seven years on, it wasn't even 15% subscribed. Why?

IMHO, because it just hasn't been publicised.

I can't believe there aren't 2000 Heinlein fans, worldwide, willing to put up USD1500 for an edition like this.
Ten dollars a week for three years. I gave up smoking in 2010. I've almost saved that much already.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:43 am

Deb Rule has posted a nice "sample" of the VE at http://www.virginiaedition.com/ve/TheVirginiaEdition-sample.pdf

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:00 pm

The first image at the "Virginia Edition sample" link is the first of four "murals" that were to have been created by Donato Giancola for the Meisha Merlin version of the series. The edges of the slipcases of the six MM-produced volumes constitute about 45% (the left half) of this image. This first mural would have covered the first 13 or 14? volumes; I assume that he never began work on the other three.

[As has been mentioned: One reason for Meisha Merlin's failure was that it cost them more to have the slipcases produced (along with the dust jackets, which had the same edge artwork) than it cost to have the books printed, in part because of a failure to account for the need for two sizes of slipcase for each volume, one for cloth-bound and another for leather-bound (both were offered). Hiring Donato was surely a good idea in and of itself, but I wonder whether the decision to offer slipcases preceded or followed the idea of using him.]

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 pm
PITA Bred

Slipcases are ass-bustingly expensive to produce because it's all hand work. I've priced them out many times for publishing projects and have yet to move forward with a slipped product. They are indeed often more expensive than even finely-made hardcovers.

You'd think a midlist fantasy publisher would know that all too well.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:11 am
Centennial Attendee

RobertPearson wrote:
Deb Rule has posted a nice "sample" of the VE at http://www.virginiaedition.com/ve/TheVirginiaEdition-sample.pdf

Thanks for this notice, which I have duly blogged.

I think the free goodies, though they be mostly minor, may interest a lot of Heinlein readers. And maybe spreading the word will scare up a few more customers for the fancy edition.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:53 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Huh. The VE project is finished, the product is sitting in a warehouse, by most accounts only about 20% of the run has been sold*...

...and they're going to raise the price 25%?

Okay, then.

*Does ANYONE have a set numbered over 300?

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:17 am
Centennial Attendee

JamesGifford wrote:
Huh. The VE project is finished, the product is sitting in a warehouse, by most accounts only about 20% of the run has been sold*...

...and they're going to raise the price 25%?

I paid $2500 for mine, right after the convention. It's no fun to know that if I had been a little more patient, I could have saved $1,000.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next