View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Sherlock Holmes 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Sherlock Holmes
Haven't seen the film yet, but allow me to note that there is a new Annotated Sherlock Holmes in print, quite different from the one of my childhood. 2 volumes, available from Amazon.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm
NitroForum Oldster

I finally saw the movie tonight. Overall, I would give it a solid B. Jude Law's performance as Watson was credible. RD Jr. did a good job of portraying Holme's eccentricity. I did think that Downey's affected British accent was distracting, and I had a hard time following his dialogue at times.

Or, maybe I'm just getting old. ;)

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

I finally brought myself to see it, and while the time went by pleasantly, and the characters (except for Irene Adler -- bad casting) all ring true, I found the aftertaste to be curiously flat. Flat, flat, flat. I find myself thinking the second film is going to be better, because it all felt like a prequel for Moriarty. I don't know what was quite wrong with it (other than the fact that Holmes would NEVER have been seen in an elegant restaurant or lordly manor dress as inappropriately or unshaven as Downey did). I was in the middle of reading a wonderful Holmes pastiche, "The Beekeeper's Apprentice", and King writes a Holmes that seems truer than some of the later Doyle stuff does. Sadly, the second volume "A Monstrous Regiment of Women" is boring the hell out of me, because Holmes is making few appearances, and it's 100 pages in, and there's still no mystery. The main character is a Jewish American woman, being raised in London be her hated aunt after her family is killed, and she meets up with Holmes very young (the first volume), and then goes to Oxford to study chemistry and theology. I'm afraid the second volume is cursed by poor plotting, and the fact that I have already read the source books on the women's movements that the author is using to keep the narration going. But the first book was so good, it may have caused my movie viewing to pale.

That, and the fact I'm not eating sugar any more....

I have to think there will be a sequel; one can hope that they make the same leap in quality from Spiderman 1 to Spiderman 2, but in any case, I don't think the movie did any harm.

Other than ripping off the Raiders fight scenes, between the big guy and Indy....

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:08 am
NitroForum Oldster

Exactly my reaction - the movie did no harm and left me looking forward to the sequel with Prof Moriarity.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

I finally saw it. If I ignore the Sherlock Holmes label and take it as a tabula rasa creation de novo, it was fine. (I can even forgive the flagrant toying with geography in the distance between the Houses of Parliament and Tower Bridge.) But the intersections between this and the Holmes legend are barely above noise level. The constant stunt action ground me as a pandering to the hoi polloi ("We can't sell a mass market feature unless there's gunplay, fisticuffs, and explosions.")

Certain elements were enjoyable: the action replays of deductions, for instance (although the jump cuts became so stroboscopic as to be dangerous to epileptics at times). And Robert Downey Jr. is an actor I would enjoy watching reading the proverbial phone book. He's an excellent choice for Holmes because of his hawkish stare and laser intensity. A pity he had to play a boorish Holmes bent on annoying Watson with his insensitivity. Perhaps as a nod to the Aspergian expectations of legions of Monk fans.

The sets were flawless and captivating in their authenticity. Downey's accent was... not good. He's probably the best American to play Holmes, but he needs to do better at the accent, which shifted from scene to scene. The producers of Tomb Raider made a brilliant choice of Angelina Jolie for Lara Croft, certainly the only American choice that would not piss off English fans, and her accent was perfect.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

And now the billboards for the sequel are out, with Shlock Holmes [sic] toting a gun. Of course, that's what we remember Holmes for most... his marksmanship. Really excelled at moving down the opposition. I mean, who needs a brain when you've got a Browning?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Just caught the sequel. Despite the amount of gunplay, I do think this was a considerable improvement over the first movie in injecting more elements of Holmes' special talents. Although the hints at a romantic relationship between him and Watson got a bit too overt and unnecessary.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
Just caught the sequel. Despite the amount of gunplay, I do think this was a considerable improvement over the first movie in injecting more elements of Holmes' special talents. Although the hints at a romantic relationship between him and Watson got a bit too overt and unnecessary.

Wow, I thought just the opposite - that they abandoned all the clever parts and character scenes and turned it into nothing but steampunk action, much of it ridiculous.

Kind of like the sequel to Heavy Metal, where they took the longest, most tedious and predictable segment of the first and made a whole movie out of it.

Have you ever watched the new Sherlock series?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 am
Centennial Attendee

JamesGifford wrote:
Have you ever watched the new Sherlock series?

Really enjoy it. Very well done.

Haven't seen the new American CBS version, though, with Lucy Lui as a female Watson.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Haven't seen either. Which one should I look for?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next