View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Heinlein Centennial 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: The Heinlein Centennial
Jack Kelly wrote:
Look at the link in my April 17th post in this thread for a site with some great photos of Butler and the Centennial (by Eric's GF).

Thank you!

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

sakeneko wrote:
How long have you lived in Sunnyvale, Dan? I lived there from 1995 through 2006. If you'd been to Baycon or any of the other local general-purpose SF cons, we'd almost certainly have met. :-)

I've been in Sunnyvale since 1998, and was in Santa Clara from 1995 to 1998, but have never been to Baycon. There has always been either something I wanted to do more on Memorial Day weekend; I'm sorry I missed you. Mrs. Prickett, our grade school librarian at George Washington Elementary in Tulsa, OK, turned me on to Have Space Suit Will Travel 51 years ago, when I was 8. She has no clue what she started!

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

dh490311 wrote:
Mrs. Prickett, our grade school librarian at George Washington Elementary in Tulsa, OK, turned me on to Have Space Suit Will Travel 51 years ago, when I was 8. She has no clue what she started!

Hey! I went to George Washington Elementary in Durant, OK, and -- after decades on the coasts -- I'm in Tulsa for 14 years now. The heart of The Real America, according to my coworkers here (and election maps seem to confirm it). The buckle on the Bible Belt, too. I grew up with bumper stickers on the family car such as "I'm from Little Dixie and proud of it!" and they sent me to college in an old LeMans with an "In Case of Rapture..." sticker plastered on the back window. When, a little kid in the '60's, I went to the Durant City Library to find more books by Lovecraft, after reading a used paperback of "At the Mountains of Madness," I was literally told that there was no such person and I had read no such book. (Who are you going to believe? Me, or your lying eyes?)
Fortunately, Heinlein somehow snuck under their radar and I was exposed to other world views despite local bias. Good on him always! I owe him more than I can say.
It's always good to see someone else from here in the heartland who holds Heinlein in his own heart. Good on you, too!

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:59 am
Centennial Attendee

freesharon wrote:
I went to George Washington Elementary in Durant, OK, and -- after decades on the coasts -- I'm in Tulsa for 14 years now.

[snip[

I grew up with bumper stickers on the family car such as "I'm from Little Dixie and proud of it!"

Well, as Stephen Wright says, "It's a small world, but I'd hate to have to paint it." Back when I lived there (1950-1960; was it really only 10 years?), they still called Tulsa the Oil Capital Of The World. My dad was a pilot for American Airlines, but they closed the Tulsa crew base in 1960 and we moved to DFW. Until then, we lived at 7855 E. Marshall Place, up near the airport off Memorial, and it was there that I learned to hide under the covers with a flashlight and read the next Heinlein juvenile from cover to cover in one go. I was sure tired at school the next day, but it was worth it!

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

Wow! I can't believe that it will be 2 years this July since the centennial. I took the wife and kids with me and we made it a wonderful family cross-country road trip. We stopped in Memphis and did the Elvis thing, next was St. Louis for the 4th of July, and then finally KC.

It was a great time, with my personal favorite being meeting Mr. Pohl. I told him that my first "adult" novel was "Gateway" and that I still had the book at home and that I wished I had brought it with me to get his autograph, he asked me where I lived and I replied "Alabama" and he calmly replied that he would be happy to wait until I returned. ( I guess you had to be there)

Also meeting Spider Robinson and his wife was quite nice.

As a new member to this forum, I look forward to reading some great posts!

Curt

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:13 am

This is my first post here, so let me begin with a "thank you" for creating and maintaining this forum.

On the Centennial: I did attend. I thought it was well-organized, and I greatly enjoyed all the sessions. I enjoyed the speakers, the guests, and had intelligent and thoughtful discussions with many attendees. I hope to attend another someday, time and finances permitting.

I especially enjoyed the sessions that gave personal insights into the author's life, and must relay a little story that may be amusing.

I went to Kansas City with my partner, Gene, who isn't a big SF fan. He spent the day visiting yarn stores and knitting while I was at the conference. We'd agreed that I'd call him when I was ready to go back to the hotel and have dinner.

Toward the end of that day, I attended a session in which one of the presenters said that Robert and Ginny were convinced that they had a telepathic link. This presenter related an anecdote about Ginny sitting her bath and thinking, "Robert, bring me my cigarettes." Sure enough, a few minutes later Robert came in from outdoors where he'd been working and delivered her cigarettes. He apparently said he just "had a feeling" she wanted them.

I avoided letting my eyeballs roll out of their sockets at this charming little story, while thinking that coincidence shouldn't be mistaken for proof of telepathy.

In any case, I was tired and made my way back to the lobby, where I plopped onto a sofa and called Gene on my cell phone to tell him I was ready to have dinner. He said, "I had a feeling you'd be calling." It turns out he'd pulled into the passenger pick-up area at the conference hotel at the exact instant I entered the lobby and called him.

Hmmm. This "I had a feeling" stuff can get kind of spooky.

Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Welcome, Max, and glad you wandered by.

I, too, tend to roll my eyes at anecdotal stories, knowing full well how the occasional coincidence can seem unusual. Certainly a couple who is together for a long time gets to know each others' habits; perhaps in this case R. came in from outside, knew V. was in the tub, spotted her ciggies and realized she always likes to light up while sudsing. Presto, magic.

The day some busy exec stops in the jetway and returns to the waiting area because his Grandmother's ghost told him to get his butt off that plane, and he announces the fact in advance of the plane turning into aluminum rain, I'll give some credence to mysty-psychoism. Until then, two hundred years of uniformly negative results pretty much stand.

Glad you enjoyed the Centennial. Even the organizers occasionally stop and go, "wow" at each other. :)

Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 am
Centennial Attendee

How about this one? In the 1980's, my wife (at the time), Toby, and I went to Jerusalem for a professional conference. We stayed at the Windmill Hotel in the Talbieh neighborhood outside the walls of the old city. Some friends had recommended we go see the Omar Khayyam Museum at 4 Dolorosa inside the old city, and we were preparing to do that when I said I'd go arrange for a taxi and meet her downstairs. She got a funny look on her face and said, "Humor me; I think I can get us there on foot."

This was a strange statement on several levels. Toby had never been to Jerusalem before and hadn't looked at a map. The hotel was on top of a hill and looked to be at least 15 or 20 minutes away by car. But I figured if we got stuck, we could just catch a cab from wherever we were, so I went along.

She led us out the back of a hotel, down the hill, though a lovely park with kinetic sculpture, and in about 15 minutes or so, there we were at the Jaffa Gate. She led us inside and through a rabbit warren of tiny residential streets that had probably never seen Americans before. Presently we emerged smack in the middle of Jerusalem's bustling central market and she said, "Well, I'm stumped. I don't know where to go from here." I said, "Look up." We were literally standing under a sign pointing the way to Omar Khayyam's.

To this day, neither of us has an explanation for why she knew her way around a city she'd never had any prior connection with or knowledge of. But it's the closest I've ever been to a psychic experience.

Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

My very first day in London, we walked into a restaurant at random - "first one on the right" on our way somewhere. It turned out to be the Criterion, of Sherlock Holmes fame.

I'm a moderately serious Holmesian.

What *are* the odds, Watson?

On my second day there, I found a genuine bright yellow with black slashes MAX HEADROOM 2.3m signboard.

I am, of course, Max's semi-official biographer.

Wh-Wh-What a coincidence.

:roll:

Tue May 19, 2009 11:03 am
Centennial Attendee

James Gifford wrote:
I am, of course, Max's semi-official biographer.

You can't escape Wackipedia, apparently.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next