View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Paul Malmont's "The Astounding, the Amazing and the Unknown" 

Post Re: Paul Malmont's "The Astounding, the Amazing and the Unkn
PeterScott wrote:
This is a story by someone who loves Heinlein as much as any one of us, and he's done good. Read it.

Thanks much! I had heard of the book but this comment is the tipping point...off I go to get a copy.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Well, I looked it up on Amazon, and I think I will ask the local library to secure a copy.
Now, since I am under a cloud at the library, I will have to think of some way to check it out. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun; same with the mystery writers novel. I'll have to ask the library to secure both.
And since we're on the subject of fun reads, I can recommend "Life" by Keith Richards. Pure fact as far as he can remember it.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I finished this recently and am very satisfied with the experience. The story was interesting and fun. But what makes it special is the use of writers I grew up reading as the main characters. I have no doubt that some of the things the author has these characters doing do not jibe with their actual history (I mean aside from the death rays and such), but this is a novel, not a biography. Sure, I spotted some technical inaccuracies and some anachronistic language, but it did not keep me from enjoying the story. I also liked how the author worked in a number of events that might have happened, that were reported as happening, but probably did not really happen (like the Junkers Ju-390 long range bomber's flight to New York).

I recommend the book to all fans of Heinlein.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

holmesiv wrote:
Now, since I am under a cloud at the library,

Sir, if you have pissed off a public librarian, crawl back there on your knees and humbly beg their forgiveness. The profession is that fine and noble that anyone in it gets a free pass from me for just about any behavior.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:13 pm
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
holmesiv wrote:
Now, since I am under a cloud at the library,

Sir, if you have pissed off a public librarian, crawl back there on your knees and humbly beg their forgiveness. The profession is that fine and noble that anyone in it gets a free pass from me for just about any behavior.

Such as typical bureaucratic behavior? Such as, I have a job and I'll sit on my fat, lazy butt while you have a problem behavior?
Nope.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2