View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
Introduce Yourself 
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: Introduce Yourself
A belated "howdy," Leon!!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

Like "Wye Knott," if I say "Hi Jack!", they might take me away as a terrorist, so a big, "Howdy," backatcha, Jack.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 am

Hi, I'm Summer Sandlin. I'm a credentialed teacher in California (Social Sciences) and an alum of UC Santa Cruz. I never did a drive by of the Bonnie Doon house, but I did manufacture a minor in Literature in hopes of getting my mitts on the Special Collection pass I dreamed of ever since I found out that the Heinlein's donated manuscripts and other odds and ends to the university. Sadly, I never made it. Most people in my generation have no idea who Heinlein is (I was born in 1984), and I have handed out copies of my Heinlein books for years in order to try to spread the word.

I have no idea what my first Heinlein books was... probably a juvenile novel? I know my first brush with scifi was at 11 when my mom handed me I, Robot which is a great starter for a young person as it is short stories and I had a short attention span. I didn't become a voracious reader until I was in college at which point I started scouring used book stores for Heinlein, Bradbury, and Asimov (to name a few).

I am dating a writer (he even went to the trouble of getting a Masters in it from USF!) - and I can envision becoming his stay at home secretary some day as I am already his sounding board and first reader. I love nothing more than to sit with him and bounce ideas around about stories. I have read more science fiction and fantasy than he has so this makes me his encyclopedia of "it's been done already." Odds bobs I've written an essay. Forgive me.

Best,
Summer

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 am
NitroForum Oldster

welcome diadian ! your interest and background should make a perfect fit for you here :) enjoy!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks so much. I'm still trying to round up all the Heinlein books, for instance I know I only just read Have Spacesuit, Will Travel last week for the first time and I somehow missed Podkayne of Mars... Don't ask me how THAT is possible! But all in all I think I have gotten most of them.

In addition - my favorite short story is Conventry and my favorite novel is Time Enough for Love. :D

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 am

Hearty greetings, Diadian!

Welcome to the jungle... ;)

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:26 am
Centennial Attendee

Diadian wrote:
...my favorite novel is Time Enough for Love.

Mine as well! Welcome!

You haven't missed much by not doing the pilgrimage to Bonny Doon; the house isn't visible from the road and the current owners are apparently not welcoming to Heinlein devotees. As a consolation prize, you could drive by 115 Echo in Santa Cruz, where the Heinleins apparently lived while they were building Bonny Doon.

Warm regards,

Dan
Sunnyvale, CA (just over the hill from Santa Cruz)

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Welcome Summer! Both my parents were teachers; I tip my hat to you.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 pm
Profile WWW

The next part of being a teacher is going to involve getting a job, California is a bad place for teachers right now. Luckily my boyfriend and his mom work at a middle school and the principal is an amazing guy who keeps trying to hire me as a science teacher - but I don't have the qualifications yet!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:56 am
Centennial Organizer

Welcome Dreadylocks, Leon and Summer. Lots of new folks with interesting ideas are a Good Thing. I only appear here occasionally, and then I read as much as possible. Dreadylocks, wait until you read Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I think it's my all-time favorite.

Leon, you're in my age range, and yes I still pretty much look like my icon picture though it's from the Heinlein Centennial. I think Libby was in "Coventry" and Methuselah's Children, then he is mentioned in Time Enough for Love and reappears in Number of the Beast.

And Summer, remember the famous story of Boy Meets Girl was done pretty well by Shakespeare, but there's room for more stories with that theme. See what he wants to do before deciding that "already done" takes the day. But I admit that one of my favorite stories is Spider Robinson's "Melancholy Elephants" -- and he did it in a style which was so perfectly Heinlinean I was very surprised, indeed -- and it addresses "done already" and creativity in a very special way.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next