View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
Introduce Yourself 
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: Introduce Yourself
welcome leon- think you'll find some kindred spirits here ! the folk here do have a passion for heinlein :) find a thread to discuss or create one- you'll find people will amicably respond to your discussion- ciao nick

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 pm

A hound dog "Howdy" to ya!

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Welcome to the forum, Leon. I think my intro is still posted somewhere, so I'll let you find it. :-) I recently re-read "Revolt in 2100" and "The Door into Summer", which I hadn't read for quite a few years. Was fun. Even Heinlein's lesser work tends to be fun. Then there's his best work.... I've got the Virginia Edition of Stranger in a Strange Land, plan to dig it out and reread it one of these days soon. :-)

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the welcome...(I started to say. "Friends," at this point, and then, in my mind "Family" replaced that, and for whatever reason, I can't seem to shake it.) This is very strange...

First off, to the three of you who came in first with a welcome mat, that is, Nick Doten, holmesiv, and Cath... that is, Sakeneko, I went back to page one of this thread and read every post each of you made, just to know a little more about who I was talking to...so often it was like the line from that song by Dylan, "Ain't no use in talk'n to me, It's just the same as talk'n to you." What is that quote that's trying to surface in my mind? One or all of you must know what I'm referring to..I paraphrased it in my first post, something like meeting old friends that I can't remember where I've met them before... I'm almost positive it's an RAH quote...I've read 5 of his works in the past week doing my Libby search, and it's so familiar...

Anyway, one part of my mind says it's kind of strange to feel like I've run into a whole branch of my family that I hadn't even suspected of existing, while at the same time realizing that "family" in this context means ever so much more than the context of flesh and blood family, because that is accidental, while this is a matter of choice, that is, My Family. Unfortunately, those blood relatives are more like some alien form of humanity, with whom I have no relation other than blood. But you, my friends, my true family, we have a kinship of the mind, by choice. Yes, I'm sentimental, at times.

I'm very busy ATM, with 6 projects going at once, and being a smoker, I take periodic 5 minute breaks outside with one of my books, currently, Time Enough For Love. "Immersion," has been running around in my head, as descriptive of this experience of picking up a Heinlein, or other good author, and reading. The image that goes with this concept, for me, is jumping into a turquoise swimming pool from splash to opening my eyes on a blue world that's cold against my skin, a world cut off from that one up there above the surface. Total immersion into the story, where I live for a short (or however long a) time, vicariously one with the characters and their world. I find it analogous to time travel, like the popping around they did in Number of the Beast, here in this world with my current situation to deal with, then *poof* I'm in Dora, the Senior's yacht being dropped into the Green Hills of Earth, current problems of a different nature. I use that effect sometimes to give myself some separation, some perspective. And the world changes color in some aspect. Sometimes, I come out of it when the heat of my cigarette gets close to my fingers and I look down to see two inches of ash, and realize I forgot to smoke it. Better for my health. LOL.

Anyway, it's nice getting to know you all.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:03 am

Sakeneko, anything new on your web site? The old one just gives me that secondary message. I didn't try the email to the webmaster they suggested...

Playing with these colors (I wish there were more variety), and looking at your avatar, reminded me that I did a front entrance sign for a ballet school. Inside, they had a neon outline of a dancer in just that pose on your avatar. For the signs banner, I made a stencil of that line drawing, minus the flying clothes (or flames or whatever they are), then drew them repeatedly along a flying arch describing her leap through the air, drawing an outline every 5 inches or so, then painted each one a slightly different tone, going through the rainbow spectrum. It was a take off on a multi-exposure photo of a leaping dancer, with each exposure a different color. Wish I still had a picture to show you.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 am

Welcome, Leon. I'm sure you will find this forum a good place to visit. I post only infrequently, when I have something useful to offer, but I visit nearly every day to see what's going on. I find the discussions enlightening.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:30 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Blackhawk, see you around.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:13 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Hi Leon, welcome to our tribe. You may find the Concordance (http://www.heinleinsociety.org/concorda ... cksonlibby) useful for answering questions like the one you had.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:44 am
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
Hi Leon, welcome to our tribe. You may find the Concordance (http://www.heinleinsociety.org/concorda ... cksonlibby) useful for answering questions like the one you had.

WOW! Thanks a lot, Peter! What a great thing to have!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am

LeonArtO3D wrote:
Sakeneko, anything new on your web site? The old one just gives me that secondary message. I didn't try the email to the webmaster they suggested...

Catherine's my name -- Sakeneko is just a handle. :-) If you look again, you'll find that several of my web sites are actually up again -- I moved a bunch of stuff to a new server early this week, and failed to realize that I needed to adjust my Apache configuration to accommodate some of the older HTML coding. You might have seen a default Apache page. The site that gets updated most these days is the blog at www.ergosphere.net.

Playing with these colors (I wish there were more variety), and looking at your avatar, reminded me that I did a front entrance sign for a ballet school. Inside, they had a neon outline of a dancer in just that pose on your avatar. For the signs banner, I made a stencil of that line drawing, minus the flying clothes (or flames or whatever they are), then drew them repeatedly along a flying arch describing her leap through the air, drawing an outline every 5 inches or so, then painted each one a slightly different tone, going through the rainbow spectrum. It was a take off on a multi-exposure photo of a leaping dancer, with each exposure a different color. Wish I still had a picture to show you.

Interesting.... That sounds like good work. I'll have to go over and look at your site.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next