View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:56 pm



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
BoingBoing posts Heinlein item 
Author Message
Centennial Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 am
Posts: 783
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Post BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
BoingBoing just posted an item about the 1950's Popular Mechanics writeup of Heinlein's house. Hardly momentous news, but, hey, every little bit helps.

_________________
“Don’t believe everything you see on the Internet.” –Abraham Lincoln


Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Posts: 2401
Location: The Quiet Earth
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
Nice to see it link to my careful posting of the facsimile, and not... elsewhere's borrowage.

_________________
"Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders." - Luther
In the end, I found Heinlein is finite. Thus, finite analysis is needed.


Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:05 pm
Profile
Heinlein Nexus

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am
Posts: 375
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
Bill, here is an interesting post from the BoingBoing website:

cupofkona | #16 | 06:35 on Fri, Dec. 4 | Reply Report
I was at Heinlein's home in Bonny Doon a couple of times. Two things were memorable besides meeting my favorite author. He deigned the new home. It had a couch built into the wall that curved from one end of the room to the other. It was configured to widen the seating as it curved to accommodate female leg stats to then male stats at the other end. Clever. The other was me lying down on a fur spread. Nope. It yowled, scrambeld and scared the crap out of me. The HUGEST cat I have to this day ever met. LOL. Made the visit to the couples' home memorable, indeed.


Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:15 am
Profile
Heinlein Biographer

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 pm
Posts: 1024
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
RobertJames wrote:
Bill, here is an interesting post from the BoingBoing website:

cupofkona | #16 | 06:35 on Fri, Dec. 4 | Reply Report
I was at Heinlein's home in Bonny Doon a couple of times. Two things were memorable besides meeting my favorite author. He deigned the new home. It had a couch built into the wall that curved from one end of the room to the other. It was configured to widen the seating as it curved to accommodate female leg stats to then male stats at the other end. Clever. The other was me lying down on a fur spread. Nope. It yowled, scrambeld and scared the crap out of me. The HUGEST cat I have to this day ever met. LOL. Made the visit to the couples' home memorable, indeed.

Some time in the 70's I bet -- he must be talking about Taffrail Lord Plushbottom.


Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:53 am
Profile
Heinlein Nexus

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am
Posts: 375
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
I was more interested in the couch design -- I don't recall hearing that before.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:22 am
Profile
Heinlein Biographer

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 pm
Posts: 1024
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
RobertJames wrote:
I was more interested in the couch design -- I don't recall hearing that before.

IIRC it was also done that way to get more leg room in front of the Swedish fireplace.


Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile
Heinlein Nexus

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am
Posts: 375
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
I remember those Swedish fireplaces from the sixties. They were all the rage. And hotter than I could stand, as I recall....

But then, it was Orange County....fireplaces were never really needed there more than a couple of days a year....


Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:16 am
Profile
Heinlein Biographer

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 pm
Posts: 1024
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
RobertJames wrote:
I remember those Swedish fireplaces from the sixties. They were all the rage. And hotter than I could stand, as I recall....

But then, it was Orange County....fireplaces were never really needed there more than a couple of days a year....

I think they probably got a bit more use out of it in Santa Cruz. It rains and gets cold about half the year (though everyone pretends it doesn't rain). And they had periodic power outages (one of them six days long) -- Ginny cooked up a mess of stew on the Swedish fireplace and they lived on that and hoarded their batteries for reading.

And redwood forest *drip* on you.


Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Wherever the Army sends me
Post Re: BoingBoing posts Heinlein item
Cool link. My wife gave me that particular cool bit of Heinleiniana for Christmas a few years ago.

(Here's a link to the facsimile of the article Mr. Gifford mentioned above: http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/pm652-art-hi.html) I love the idea of trash that takes itself out. Windows that won't open--not so much.

Reading between the lines is fun... in the 50s they wouldn't mention the main advantage of shower heads on each side of the shower--two bathers wouldn't need to wait turns for a shower head. Now I want one!

_________________
Logic is a feeble reed, friend.
-- Glory Road


Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF